Pink Elephants In the Multiverse

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

And
Other
'sque Thought Experiments

By:

- If a Multiverse of infinite universes existed, would one of them contain an Earth where Pink Elephants are appointed as heads of State and their behaviour dictated policy? After all, I can conceive it.

- So you have four kitchen strings (I guess normal people call this substance: twine) that are infinitely long and you cut each one at some arbitrary point. Now you have eight infinitely long strings but could you "make" more?

- Would a infinitely long string fill the universe and beyond? Could it ever collapse into a singularity?

- Why can't we break a meter down to infinitely small fractions, that way we would always be infinitely off in our measurements? Would Philosoraptor ever have to be chided by the old adage "measure twice, cut once" again?

- Schrödinger's Cat thought experiment, your opinions good sirs?

And what are your wacky questions and thoughts?
Last edited by hellomynameis on Jun 25th, 2009, 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Pink Elephants In the Multiverse

Post by steven lloyd »

:137:
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

:137: :137:
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

steven lloyd wrote::137:

I don't know either, I just wanted an excuse to post the picture.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

It is a cool picture
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Hellomynameis, you should know better than contemplating infinity. Georg Cantor, Ludwig Boltzmann, Kurt Gödel and Alan Turing all understood infinity - all went mad - all committed suicide!
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1EEE2070E3685518
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Born_again wrote:Hellomynameis, you should know better than contemplating infinity. Georg Cantor, Ludwig Boltzmann, Kurt Gödel and Alan Turing all understood infinity - all went mad - all committed suicide!

[email protected]&k infinity then
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

What's worse is that Boltzmann mathematically figured out what was beyond infinity!! Poor sod!
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

And to think my downfall was prompted by a smart *bleep* 'infinite' thread comment I made when my wife ran out of it making a cloak.

Bloody hedonistic pagans , keeping a man down!
- Carl Sagan
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Serves you right for hurting my brain!
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Hellomynameis wrote:- So you have four kitchen strings (I guess normal people call this substance: twine) that are infinitely long and you cut each one at some arbitrary point. Now you have eight infinitely long strings but could you "make" more?

I hate to pop your noodle (actually, that would be pretty cool), but there exists the possibility that the infinitely long strings actually have one end each and go off into infinity in the other direction. Therefore, one could cut an infinitely long string anywhere and end up with piece A, which would measure from the original end to the cut point, and piece B, which would measure from the now created end of the inifinite piece to infinity.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Nebula wrote:
Hellomynameis wrote:- So you have four kitchen strings (I guess normal people call this substance: twine) that are infinitely long and you cut each one at some arbitrary point. Now you have eight infinitely long strings but could you "make" more?

I hate to pop your noodle (actually, that would be pretty cool), but there exists the possibility that the infinitely long strings actually have one end each and go off into infinity in the other direction. Therefore, one could cut an infinitely long string anywhere and end up with piece A, which would measure from the original end to the cut point, and piece B, which would measure from the now created end of the inifinite piece to infinity.

Dude, my infinitely long strings are infinite in both directions, I mean I did check after all. :cursor:

Interesting...

How could you know if you are dealing with a infinite or finite string?

Assuming that the string is straight and couldn't break apart due to forces like gravity and other force fluctuations (infinite tinsel strength) then perhaps a infinite string could not collapse into a singularity because there would be no center point to collapse from. Plus, it would have infinite drag so there would be no slack unless it had a beginning or end.
- Carl Sagan
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Hellomynameis wrote:
Nebula wrote:

Dude, my infinitely long strings are infinite in both directions, I mean I did check after all. :cursor:

Interesting...

How could you know if you are dealing with a infinite or finite string?

Assuming that the string is straight and couldn't break apart due to forces like gravity and other force fluctuations (infinite tinsel strength) then perhaps a infinite string could not collapse into a singularity because there would be no center point to collapse from. Plus, it would have infinite drag so there would be no slack unless it had a beginning or end.

You guys just have way too much time on your hands.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Now if you had time on your hands and they were infinite hands...
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I'm feeling infinitely strung out...or along.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”