Pink Elephants In the Multiverse

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Pink Elephants In the Multiverse

Post by I Think »

Given an infinite number of multiverses, you cannot have four infinite strings, you must have an infinite number of infinite strings. If you cut one of these, you have an infinite number of strings +1.
We're lost but we're making good time.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

nibs wrote:Given an infinite number of multiverses, you cannot have four infinite strings, you must have an infinite number of infinite strings. If you cut one of these, you have an infinite number of strings +1.

Yeah but you can't travel between them all willy-nilly, giving out cigars and pancakes like it's *bleep* New Years Eve. Unless, unless you want to propose a method of travel?

Perhaps quantum suicide? You can't go wrong doing that.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Dear Sir or Madam, your suggestion of quantum suicide, apart from being hurtful, is not possible.
In the event of suicide, that would leave an infinite number of my-selves -1, which cannot be an infinite number of anything (i think).
We're lost but we're making good time.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

nibs wrote:Dear Sir or Madam, your suggestion of quantum suicide, apart from being hurtful, is not possible.
In the event of suicide, that would leave an infinite number of my-selves -1, which cannot be an infinite number of anything (i think).

Good Sir,

The proposition was not meant to be hurtful. I was merely suggesting that an individual, through bold pioneering, could possibly travel to a alternate universe.

before we get deeper into that please allow me to point out that -N is still infinite. Just like a infinite piece of string is still infinite no matter how much length we cut off of it.

I propose that a Multiverse of infinite universes would necessarily contain a infinite variety of ourselves, however, since we are unaware of our infinite-self our conscious must be considered singular. Of course the idea of a quantum suicide interuniverse highway is predicated on the postulation of a Multiverse and a few dozen other ridiculous assumptions but it is an interesting thought none the less. In fact after looking into the dangers that Born_Again pointed out I am quite surprised that we aren't finding people dead in jerry-rigged boxes. :skippingsheep:

Yes, I have too much time on my hands.....
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Go west my son, go west. All the best universes[sic] are over them thar hills. :9923:

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”