Paganism

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Paganism

Post by steelrules »

Here is an interesting link to Emperor Constantine first pope.
I belive it was under his rule the 25th was adopted.

http://www.reformation.org/pope-constantine.html
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

twas Julius Ceasar that declared the solstice in the 25th and nearly 400 years later that Pope Julius the first declared the 25th Jesus' birthday and it was in the 16th century where the calendar was changed to the gregorian calendar giving us the solstice ofvthe 21st and Christmas on the 25th.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
drex1999
Board Meister

Post by drex1999 »

FunkyBunch wrote:Again not entirely true. It wasn't until the Julian calendar that the solstice was the 25th and the feast of Saturnalia predates the Julian calendar. Further, since the Gregorian calendar was accepted the other dates at the time are irrelevant since December 25th on the Julian calendar is different than December 25th on the Gregorian calendar. But I do agree that that Christmas in essence was stolen from the feast if Saturnalia, but for the reasons I mentioned earlier, it was an attempt by the early church to replace Pagan beliefs with Christian ones.

Ok, here's how I understood it. Maybe I am off but give it some thought. Saturnalia predates the Julian calendarr. YES. Now, at the time that the Roman Pope decides that a Mass for Christ should be held, and Christmas is superimposed onto Saturnalia, the winter solstice falls on dec 25th at that time. The calendar eventually changes but the date of the new celebration is kept.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

Not from what I've gathered. Christmas wasn't declared until nearly 400 years after the date set by the Julian calendar for the solstice. And at that time when Christmas was declared to be the 25th the solstice would have been a few days earlier due to the inaccuracies of the Julian calendar (I forgot how many days lost in what time period but it was a significant amount and they would have been different by the date for Christmas was set for the 25th.

And Constantine may or may not have been the emperor at the time, I don't care since it was the Pope who set the day for Christams, steelerules.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Constantine was the first pope!
Funky
FunkyBunch wrote:Not from what I've gathered. Christmas wasn't declared until nearly 400 years after the date set by the Julian calendar for the solstice. And at that time when Christmas was declared to be the 25th the solstice would have been a few days earlier due to the inaccuracies of the Julian calendar (I forgot how many days lost in what time period but it was a significant amount and they would have been different by the date for Christmas was set for the 25th.

And Constantine may or may not have been the emperor at the time, I don't care since it was the Pope who set the day for Christams, steelerules.
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

No he wasn't, he wasn't even in the top ten. There were three hundred years of Popes before he was even alive. He legitimized and legalized Christianity and is a Saint, but not a Pope. The misconception that he was the first Pope is just that, a misconception.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

The last Caesar of Rome Flavius Valerius Constantinus changed Imperial Rome in to Papal Rome on
October 28 312 AD. And took the name Pope Constantinus he ruled form 306 AD.to 337 AD.

I belive you may be thinking of Constantine the first who was pope fron 708 to 715 AD.
Please check your papal history you got the wrong pope funky..
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

Honestly I don't know where you are getting your information. It's convoluted and wrong. Here is the list of popes:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm

please look at the time period you keep quoting and look for the pope you mentioned.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

I gave you the link if you'd care to read it.
http://www.reformation.org/6-constantinian-changes.html

FunkyBunch wrote:Honestly I don't know where you are getting your information. It's convoluted and wrong. Here is the list of popes:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm

please look at the time period you keep quoting and look for the pope you mentioned.
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

The majority of that authors points contradict the accepted history. Further while he lists his reference at the bottom, he doesn't say which of his claims come from which book. That site seems to be a gigantic misinterpretation of history. Some his facts are accurate but his conclusions and some of his facts are false.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

FunkyBunch wrote: That site seems to be a gigantic misinterpretation of history. Some his facts are accurate but his conclusions and some of his facts are false.

That's putting it lightly.

http://www.reformation.org/hell.html
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

Holy *bleep*!
That's fantastically ridiculous! Please tell me that site is just for amusement purposes, and isn't actual serious!
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

ROFLMAO

http://www.reformation.org/stationary-earth.html

That site must be a joke. I mean really? The earth doesn't move? Who buys this garbage?
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Unfortunately, they are serious.

FunkyBunch wrote: Who buys this garbage?

I can think of at least one person who does. Can you?

S _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”