Paganism

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
oldhippy
Board Meister

Re: Paganism

Post by oldhippy »

So sad so many battles over the belief systems. Most for greed of land and money.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Phoenix Within wrote:Oh good, someone in the know for a change. :D

Curiosity sake, what's the difference between something like paganism and wicca or witchcraft?

And one thing I've never really had clarified, is there a difference between wicca and witchcraft or is it the same thing?

No, not the same thing, wicca was invented in the mid 50's by a man named Gerald Gardener, based on some cockamamee bs discovered by some archeologist I believe named Margaret Murray

a quote I quite enjoy is:
Wicca, pretending to be an ancient religion since 1954
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Hellomynameis wrote:My wife is pagan...

I've been observing the behaviour, rituals and mating practises for quite sometime now.

Questions?

Okey...

1. How does one have sex with a tree?
2. Is there one pagan god, many?

That's all for now.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:No, not the same thing, wicca was invented in the mid 50's by a man named Gerald Gardener, based on some cockamamee bs discovered by some archeologist I believe named Margaret Murray

a quote I quite enjoy is:
Wicca, pretending to be an ancient religion since 1954

Really? Interesting. I'll have to look that up. Thanks.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

WhatThe wrote:How far back does, for simplicities sake, does religion(the belief in gods,deities, creators) go?
Could religion be viewed as a "mechanism" that helped our ancesters ( 10,20,30'000 years ago) cope with the irrational and inexplainable? We still struggle today with the irrational and unexplainable, however, what we can explain in simple scientific terms now, our distant ancestors rationalized a sudden tornado that destroyed their village quite differently.

thats genraly my belief to.the greeks and egyptions hada religeon going before the bible was evan a thought.
GO CANUCKS GO
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

It goes back further than that. We have a starting point of at least 11000 years ago.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... =y&page=1#
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

It's easier andmore comforting to think or say "it's gods will" than trying to deal with pure randomness, which in my view it is random. The world has survived just fine without humans trying to explain it and quantify ourselves
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Phoenix Within wrote:Curiosity sake, what's the difference between something like paganism and wicca or witchcraft?

And one thing I've never really had clarified, is there a difference between wicca and witchcraft or is it the same thing?

Pagan is a term that encompasses all non abrahamic religions. Neo paganism is an umbrella term that encompasses earth based traditions such as druidry, shamanism, wicca, wItchcraft, Germanic paganism, heathenry, thelema etc Not all pagans are wiccans. Neo-paganism is very diverse. The common thread would be honoring the earth and the cycles that are inherent in life. Most NeoPagans also revere the body and sexuality as sacred and not "sinful"

There are many forms of witchcraft. Not all witches would consider themselves pagan, but many do. All wiccans would be considered witches, but many witches are not wiccan. Some forms include hedge witchcraft, Anderson Feri tradition, wicca, green witchcraft, the reclaming tradition etc. Witchcraft is not considered a religion.

Wicca is a religion. It is a neo-pagan form of witchcraft which is definitely the most well known of the traditions. As with all neo-pagan traditions it is greatly misunderstood. All wiccans are pagan, but not all pagans are wiccan.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Very enlightening. Thank you.

Edited to add: Hinduism is non-abrahamic but surely it is not pagan?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Phoenix Within wrote:
Hellomynameis wrote:My wife is pagan...

I've been observing the behaviour, rituals and mating practises for quite sometime now.

Questions?

Oh good, someone in the know for a change. :D

Curiosity sake, what's the difference between something like paganism and wicca or witchcraft?

My wife emailed this to me re: your question:

Paganism is simply an Earth based religion where you are drawn to the Elements (Earth, Air, Fire and Water), you follow the Esbats (Moons cycle as in Waxing and Waning), and the Wheal of the year (8 Sabbots).
Being Pagan doesn't meant that you need to be interested in any kind of Energy work, it's quite casual that way. Paganism isn’t one religion. It’s an umbrella term that covers MANY, some earth based and others not. As such it is a very board and there is more than a few disputes about what actually qualifies as “pagan.”

Wicca is divided into two basic categories, Traditional and Neo.

-Traditional is an initiatory mystery religion what was founded by a gent named Gerald Gardner in the 1950’s. Gardner spliced together pieces and teachings from a great many paths he’d been involved with over his lifetime, turning the end result into a synergistic whole. To be Traditional Wiccan, you need to initiate into a lineaged coven and learn the Mysteries, one of which being who the Wiccan Deities are.

-Neo Wicca is can be better described as eclectic paganism with a Wiccan flavouring and came about because many popular books began using the term “wicca” to describe whatever flavour paganism they were talking about as it was viewed as a culturally acceptable and thus marketable term. To be neo-wiccan, you need to study in a neo-wiccan tradition (which may or may not require initiation) or engage in self-study and put together a practise based on the Wiccan Wheel of the Year.

Witchcraft to me is all of the above but in a more involved form.
Witchcraft is just that, a craft. Like baking or woodworking or gardening. You can add it to your religious path or practise it on its own. Witchcraft employs the use of natural energies (earth, air, fire, water) and the caster’s own will to make the magic happen and tends to be very pragmatic in nature; this is as opposed to “high” or “ceremonial” magic which relies on intricate rituals, conversations with guardian angels and magical path working to see things done. Gods can be part of it or it can be practised in an atheistic model. Unless one is wanting to be part of a religious witchcraft path such as Traditional Wicca, initiation is not necessary, just effort and practise.

Wicca centers around reverence for nature as seen in the Goddess and the God. With its spiritual roots in antiquity, the faith carries an acceptance of magic and mysterious nature...
Wicca is a joyous religion springing from our kinship with nature.

"Wicca's temples are flower-splashed meadows, forests, beaches, and deserts.
When a Wiccan is outdoors she or he is actually surrounded by sanctity, much as is a Christian when entering a church or cathedral."(from Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, (c) 1988 by Scott Cunningham. Reprinted with the permission of LLewellyn Worldwide Ltd., St. Paul, MN.)
Last edited by hellomynameis on Aug 18th, 2009, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Scott Cunningham is an good source for many wiccans and neo-pagans. As for all pagan celebrating esbats, honoring the four elements and celebrating the 8 sabbats, well thats not true. Wiccans definitely do all of these things, but other neo-pagans don't. For example the Celts and the Druids have a three, not a four or five element system. Druids don't generally have esbats or Full Moon rituals and heathens don't generally celebrate all 8 sabbats.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Mr Danksworth wrote:Scott Cunningham is an good source for many wiccans and neo-pagans. As for all pagan celebrating esbats, honoring the four elements and celebrating the 8 sabbats, well thats not true. Wiccans definitely do all of these things, but other neo-pagans don't. For example the Celts and the Druids have a three, not a four or five element system. Druids don't generally have esbats or Full Moon rituals and heathens don't generally celebrate all 8 sabbats.

No doubt and many pagans are very eclectic. Also, at least from what I've seen, all these varying groups come together as one community which participates in a inclusive set of events with varying degrees of participation.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Yup, they are an 'eclectic' lot, to say the least. I too have a wife that is one of 'them'.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I was a Wiccan for a few years in my early twenties. I've always been fascinated by nature and energy. The spiritual part turned me off though. I can't get on board with the whole gods/goddesses part of it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Hellomynameis wrote:No doubt and many pagans are very eclectic.

If they're half as bad as some of the new-agers I've come across... Oi...
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”