"Evangelicals". I have a question for you.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: "Evangelicals". I have a Question for you.

Post by steven lloyd »

Hellomynameis wrote: I don't see how being a LGBT individual would preclude them from firmly believing that only through Jesus will their eternal soul can be saved.

Besides, isn't it just as likely (given the many possible variations on interpreting writings from more thantwo thousand years ago and, for the moment, excluding the politically motivated interpretations of the Catholic Church) that when/if Jesus supposedly said "The way to God is through me" He meant "the way to God is through my teachings"? And what would that have to do with being a LGBT individual anyway?
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Born and raised Roman Catholic, and I don't belive in any religion.
The only good thing that ever came from Judeo/ Christian religon is part of the ten comandments.
Don't kill
Respect your parents
Don't steal
Don't lie
Don't cheat on your partner
& my favorite Take 1 in 7 days off work
Live by these 7 rules in society and no religion is nessary

The other 3 commandments are just control/Church to make you subservient to some magical imaginary power that only speaks to some of his beloved children, the rest of his beloved children will fry in Hell for eternity.

steven lloyd wrote:
Hellomynameis wrote: I don't see how being a LGBT individual would preclude them from firmly believing that only through Jesus will their eternal soul can be saved.

Besides, isn't it just as likely (given the many possible variations on interpreting writings from more thantwo thousand years ago and, for the moment, excluding the politically motivated interpretations of the Catholic Church) that when/if Jesus supposedly said "The way to God is through me" He meant "the way to God is through my teachings"? And what would that have to do with being a LGBT individual anyway?
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

steven lloyd wrote:... that when/if Jesus supposedly said "The way to God is through me" He meant "the way to God is through my teachings"? And what would that have to do with being a LGBT individual anyway?

I've always thought that interpritation was very likely and that the apostles/churches teachings of having to accept Jesus as your personal lord and saviour was only a religion building technique.

I have no idea what any of this has to do with LGBT individuals, every church I've ever been to would be more than happy to have LGBT members, some did.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Hellomynameis wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:
Hellomynameis wrote:Kind of except everyone in the club is a sinner, why only pick on the gay ones?

Point taken, but we're not talking about daily sins of lying or stealing or even bigger ones like murder or adultery. We're talking about openly gay people, not closet homosexuals. You don't hear people shouting for murderers rights or adulterers rights within the church, people generally keep these activities to themselves. Why would an openly gay person even want to be a Catholic or Lutheran or whatever? It makes no sense.

(cue the atheist's "NO CHURCH MAKES SENSE) - There I did it for you, you can move on to some more actual points now.

I would assume they want to be a member because they've connected on a personal/spiritual level with that religion, probably through the positive aspects of the teaches (ie. Jesus's message of hope) and/or by simply being exposed to only that form of religion as a child. I don't see how being a LGBT individual would preclude them from firmly believing that only through Jesus will their eternal soul can be saved.

Also, as an atheist I don't believe that "NO CHURCH MAKES SENSE", so I don't know what that was about...

It was a pre-emptive strike, nothing personal.

All I'm saying is why join a group that obviously disagrees with you on such a basic level. Start a LGBT church.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”