Together Making our Community Better

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
subversionist

Together Making our Community Better

Post by subversionist »

Recently a story in Castanet's Kelowna News reported on the recent annual Backpack giveaway sponsored by a faith-community at Parkinson's Rec Center on August 29th (Story has been taken down already unfortunately). Here was the promo for the event from the "Ilovekelowa.com" site:

BACK TO SCHOOL BASH
FREE BACKPACK GIVEAWAY!!
450 PACKS WITH SCHOOL SUPPLIES!
PLUS….

FREE CLOTHING,
HAIRCUTS FOR CHILDREN & YOUTH
FOOD, PRIZES AND
FUN ACTIVITIES FOR THE CHILDREN
Join us …..

SATURDAY, AUGUST 29, 2009
FROM 5:30 PM TO 8 PM AT
Parkinson Recreation Centre
1800 Parkinson Way, Kelowna
Sponsored by Victory Life Fellowship 862-3044

I think this is a great example of people coming together to respond to an important need in our community, especially given the current economic challenges. I commend those who have the vision and the generosity to host this event year after year (And no I am not connect to this organization in any way). So my question is what other examples of voluntary good do we see coming out of the faith community (or even secular organizations) in our community? What else would you like to see done (what other opportunities are out there to help those in need?

*note: Edited for spelling corrections
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Together Making our Community Better

Post by gardengirl »

subversionist wrote:Recently a story in Castanet's Kelowna News reported on the recent annual Backpack giveaway sponsored by a faith-community at Parkinson's Rec Center on August 29th (Story has been taken down already unfortunately). Here was the promo for the event from the "Ilovekelowa.com" site:

BACK TO SCHOOL BASH
FREE BACKPACK GIVEAWAY!!
450 PACKS WITH SCHOOL SUPPLIES!
PLUS….

FREE CLOTHING,
HAIRCUTS FOR CHILDREN & YOUTH
FOOD, PRIZES AND
FUN ACTIVITIES FOR THE CHILDREN
Join us …..

SATURDAY, AUGUST 29, 2009
FROM 5:30 PM TO 8 PM AT
Parkinson Recreation Centre
1800 Parkinson Way, Kelowna
Sponsored by Victory Life Fellowship 862-3044

I think this is a great example of people coming together to respond to an important need in our community, especially given the current economic challenges. I commend those who have the vision and the generosity to host this event year after year (And no I am not connect to this organization in any way). So my question is what other examples of voluntary good do we see coming out of the faith community (or even secular organizations) in our community? What else would you like to see done (what other opportunities are out there to help those in need?

*note: Edited for spelling corrections

I guess they learned something after last Easter's debacle. Entrapping kids and subjecting them to a violent, disturbing religious presentation as a part of an Easter Egg Hunt didn't go over that well.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
subversionist

Post by subversionist »

I agree the Easter drama wasn't thought out and was inappropriate (from what I heard and read).

Anyhow, back on topic. There are a lot of really good things that organizations and faith-communities are doing in our community. So often we just pick on the negative. Hearing about the good can encourage and inspire others to get involved.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

I wonder if they are stuffing chick tracts in the pockets.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
subversionist

Post by subversionist »

So Mr. Danksworth and Gardengirl lets ask you the question since you are so quick to criticize. What organizations do you think deserve to be recognized for making a difference in our community? What positive things should volunteer organizations be supporting these days?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”