Death

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Re: Death

Post by wthwyt »

I do enjoy George Carlin his humor makes me :dyinglaughing:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

So what about the guy who survives a plane crash where everyone dies? Is he/she not as cursed now in life as they all were in death? To have to ask now, prolly daily, "why me, why have I got to live?"
If Putin stopped, he'd be saving Russian lives as well. Never thought the right would have a field day but June 24/2022 it is.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I think your day and time is picked long before it happens. I am pretty sure it isn't a random thing.

RE the airplane and God..... I think he is just a lazy *bleep* when he does this. How lazy can you be when you group everyone together and do this?
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

BoB76 wrote:I think your day and time is picked long before it happens. I am pretty sure it isn't a random thing.

RE the airplane and God..... I think he is just a lazy *bleep* when he does this. How lazy can you be when you group everyone together and do this?

"No" bad pilot and poor airline maintenance. Unfortunately for passengers and other staff on the plane. Oh well another bites the dust.
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

I do not believe in an afterlife of any kind.
I think the time and cause of death are random for the most part "some people choose their own".
I do not think you have a purpose at birth other then to one day find what you enjoy doing and do it. I suspect the purpose of a life is heavily subject to opinion and culture, but if I had to answer I would tell you that the purpose of my life is to enjoy it, raise my son to the best of my ability, love my wife and wrestle around with my dumb *bleep* dog.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

JonyDarko wrote:I do not believe in an afterlife of any kind.
I think the time and cause of death are random for the most part "some people choose their own".
I do not think you have a purpose at birth other then to one day find what you enjoy doing and do it. I suspect the purpose of a life is heavily subject to opinion and culture, but if I had to answer I would tell you that the purpose of my life is to enjoy it, raise my son to the best of my ability, love my wife and wrestle around with my dumb *bleep* dog.

Then you have your purpose...to be the best person you can be and to raise your son and dog.
I have had my fair share or 'crap' that was close, and how did or do I end up in these life altering events where some have died, but I have not. It is really weird. I have a purpose at present which is why I have not gone...I need to raise my kids
GIRLYGIRL

Post by GIRLYGIRL »

This is where i get confused and i am not trying to provoke anyone ,but if we all have a purpose ,then what is the purpose of someone like clifford olson... also why would a god ,who apparently has the power to choose life and death for us,choose such horrible endings for our children.our mothers and fathers,our husbands and wives-i know u all read the news ,i dont want to go into detail.Does God just have a list and says hmmmm-youve been a wonderful mother and loyal wife-I think you should die a horrible death of melanoma.......or whatever. Or gee,you have been a serial killer but should live to 93 and die peacefully in your sleep. :200:
How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein
GIRLYGIRL

Post by GIRLYGIRL »

[quote="BoB76"]I think your day and time is picked long before it happens. I am pretty sure it isn't a random thing.

Then free wil is an illusion and nothing I do will change when I die. Why did I quit smoking? God Chooses for your child to get raped and murdered on such and such a day????
How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

I don't think God choses how you die, but you raise a good question
Am I free tomorrow? No I'm expensive every day
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

GIRLYGIRL wrote:
BoB76 wrote:I think your day and time is picked long before it happens. I am pretty sure it isn't a random thing.

Then free wil is an illusion and nothing I do will change when I die. Why did I quit smoking? God Chooses for your child to get raped and murdered on such and such a day????

Why did you start smoking? I think it is all planned out long in advance. It's like writing a story. The sick puppy up in the sky writes his own script and we are just his actors.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

GIRLYGIRL wrote:This is where i get confused and i am not trying to provoke anyone ,but if we all have a purpose ,then what is the purpose of someone like clifford olson... also why would a god ,who apparently has the power to choose life and death for us,choose such horrible endings for our children.our mothers and fathers,our husbands and wives-i know u all read the news ,i dont want to go into detail.Does God just have a list and says hmmmm-youve been a wonderful mother and loyal wife-I think you should die a horrible death of melanoma.......or whatever. Or gee,you have been a serial killer but should live to 93 and die peacefully in your sleep. :200:

I am only putting this forward as an idea, but asking to understand the purpose of the things you describe is akin to suggesting we can understand the purpose of God. As horrible as the things are that you have metioned, our lives and our experience here is but a whiff when compared to infinity. I am not rying to minimize anything you have said, and can tell you that I have experienced many challenges in my life - including pain due to loss and grief. I do believe there is some purpose to it all, and that it has brought me to where I am today. I'm okay with that, trust that and don't need to understand it any further.
Last edited by steven lloyd on Sep 16th, 2009, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

I like to think the story continues :)
but I really do feel it is all set.. nothing we can do about it. I should have been gone 3 times, nope - so I guess it wasn't my time. I know it isn't because I'm lucky. Too bad we can't trade times with others ( like going in a child's place)
Am I free tomorrow? No I'm expensive every day
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

off topic remark removed/ferri
SHOZDIJIJI
Board Meister

Post by SHOZDIJIJI »

It's like they use to say in the trenches "when your number is up, it's up."

:sunshine:
After being asked if he would consider politic's the smart man replied " No the smart people have the Politicians working for them."
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

steven lloyd wrote:
I'm okay with that, trust that and don't need to understand it any further.

I think that is called blind faith.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”