Evolution is not an opinion

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Evolution is not an opinion

Post by Nebula »

zzontar wrote:Again, it depends on what stage of evolution you're talking about. I gather you believe that every animate thing on Earth from trees to bees to people all have the same living ancestor which was "created" through natural processes from something non-living?

I don't know. Maybe life originated in mircroscopic form around the same time in different locations. Maybe it came here from elsewhere aboard meteorites. I do not know. Then again, I am in good company, because no one knows.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

chickenlittle wrote:Okay, so turn that around? What are the probabilities that God does not exist???

I would argue that if the probability of Life starting on its own an evolving or such a short period of time that alone demonstrates a probability of their being a God.

Nice theory, but that's all it is. Ah, the wonderments of where we all came from. Me thinks we'll be arguing the point forever. Isn't the universe grand?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

If their is this higher power "God" or whatever title you wish to give. Then I would say it's move on and is gone. We as humans must do the same move on and not worry about mythical place, being and/or time. Instead look to one other and make this rock we all live on better.
chickenlittle
Fledgling

Post by chickenlittle »

Nebula wrote:
chickenlittle wrote:Okay, so turn that around? What are the probabilities that God does not exist???

I would argue that if the probability of Life starting on its own an evolving or such a short period of time that alone demonstrates a probability of their being a God.

Nice theory, but that's all it is. Ah, the wonderments of where we all came from. Me thinks we'll be arguing the point forever. Isn't the universe grand?

I agree. We all have our biases...(I will never take away others right to be wrong :12077:)
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

chicken little wrote. Okay, so turn that around? What are the probabilities that God does not exist???

With the amount of evidence currently, pretty good odds that god does not exist. Particularily the way most religions have him portrayed.
chickenlittle
Fledgling

Post by chickenlittle »

roadrunner24k wrote:If their is this higher power "God" or whatever title you wish to give. Then I would say it's move on and is gone. We as humans must do the same move on and not worry about mythical place, being and/or time. Instead look to one other and make this rock we all live on better.

That is a completely different subject. Perhaps you might want to start a new thread about it...

Although much of the Christian message is about exactly what you suggest... love thy neighbor, etc.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

WhatThe wrote:chicken little wrote. Okay, so turn that around? What are the probabilities that God does not exist???

With the amount of evidence currently, pretty good odds that god does not exist. Particularily the way most religions have him portrayed.

I would certainly agree that the way most religions portray God is highly questionable (at best).

Religion aside, however, I would love to see your (any) evidence that God does not exist.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

This is not a god topic. Feel free to start a new thread though. Let's keep this one on the facts of evolution.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

jennylives wrote:Let's keep this one on the facts of evolution.

You mean the evidence for evolution ? :127:
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

steven lloyd wrote:
WhatThe wrote:chicken little wrote. Okay, so turn that around? What are the probabilities that God does not exist???

I would certainly agree that the way most religions portray God is highly questionable (at best).

Religion aside, however, I would love to see your (any) evidence that God does not exist.

we all have our beliefs, but science has given us many quantifiable answers. Science presents facts while the bible is meant to be accepted on faith. I do not in the least doubt evolution and the origins of the universe but I do doubt what's written in the bible, considering it plagiarizes many other religions thousands of years older than Christianity. Immaculate conception is shared by the ancient Egyptians, syrians, for example. Same with the great flood stories. I do know also that translations of the bible are not as exact as they would have you believe.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

zzontar wrote:If, in the future, the bones of a daschund were found and also the transitional skeletons going back to a wolf, would this be proof positive that the wolf evolved into a daschund?

No one seems to want to touch this one?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

zzontar wrote:
zzontar wrote:If, in the future, the bones of a daschund were found and also the transitional skeletons going back to a wolf, would this be proof positive that the wolf evolved into a daschund?

that fossil evidence would have to be taken in context. To take a few samples and draw conclusions would be premature. Eg. Have other remains been found in different areas, what other remains have been found along side, where in the timeline was it found. Where was it found, are there other records to substantiate.
JoleneandJoel

Post by JoleneandJoel »

I have to agree with whatthe
The Bible is meant to be accepted in faith. So yes I do believe in the poof, and I realize that it goes against science. So do the miracles of Christ. The definition of a miracle is a work of God that goes against science.
So does theistic evolution as you also believe in a poof. That poof by scientific standard is a "miracle." You believe that there was nothing and poof God made something. No different then me. I just see the poof as a mature earth as described in the bible.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

WhatThe wrote:
zzontar wrote:

that fossil evidence would have to be taken in context. To take a few samples and draw conclusions would be premature. Eg. Have other remains been found in different areas, what other remains have been found along side, where in the timeline was it found. Where was it found, are there other records to substantiate.

... and then?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

zzontar wrote:
WhatThe wrote:
zzontar wrote:

... and then?

What is your point, zzontar? Are you trying to fight science with science to make a god related point? A dachshund is technically the same species as a wolf, albeit a sub-species -- that is that they can still interbreed and produce reproductively fertile hybrid offspring. You talk of the dachshund being 'evolved' from a wolf, but that is erroneous on at least 2 counts, i.e. speciation has yet to occur between a wolf and a dachshund, and what physical differences there are, are due to artificial hybridisation.
It stands to reason that all of the dachshund bones found would be found within the limits of centres of human habitation, past or present. This would be a bit of a give-away; even to the dimmest of palaeontologists. Unless, that is, that you somehow suppose that the mighty dachshund could somehow break from its dependence on humans that have ensured its survival thus far? You know, go wild? Hmmm.... hot-dogs for the predators. If only I could warn them about the harm fast-food can do.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”