The Covenant & The Curse

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
unclemarty
Board Meister

The Covenant & The Curse

Post by unclemarty »

This post probably belongs in the TIC TOC ISRAEL thread but i chose the Religion/Philosophy because I've purposely tried to keep the mention of God and the Bible out of the TIC TOC thread.

This article does mention God, the Bible, the land of Israel, and the Jews, therefore it's in the Religion & Philosophy section where the mention of such things cannot be questioned.

THE COVENANT AND THE CURSE
by Gary Stearman

In incremental fashion, the government of the United States continues to put pressure on Israel. Our President and Department of State have sternly warned Prime Minister Netanyahu not to take action against the Iranian nuclear threat, or Hamas, or Hezbollah in Lebanon. We consistently act to limit Jewish power.

The ancient Holy Land is in a continual state of self-defense against Hamas in Gaza, Egypt to the south, Hezbollah and the Syrians to the north, and Iranian influences to the east. Nevertheless, our government insists upon limiting Israeli security in the region. This position, which is hardening with each passing day, puts us in grave danger as a nation. Instead of being a blessing to the Jews, we are becoming a curse. The Bible warns against such action. If we continue, the result could be catastrophic for this country.

On September 4, the Financial Times reported the latest escalation in U.S. pressure: "The Obama administration attacked Israel on Friday for giving the green light to the building of hundreds of new homes in the occupied West Bank even as the two sides negotiate a freeze on settlement construction.
Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel's Prime Minister, is set to approve the new homes in the coming days, a move that appears aimed at softening opposition within his rightwing Likud party to a temporary setlement freeze.
An official close to Mr. Netanyahu who declined to be identified because of the sensitivity of the issue said the PM would consider freezing building 'for a few months' only after giving the green light to the construction of the new units for Jewish settlers.
'We regret the reports of Israel's plans to approve additional settlement construction,' said Robert Gibbs, White House spokesman. 'The U.S. does not accept the legitimacy of continued settlement expansion and we urge that it stop. We are working to create a climate in which negotiations can take place, and such actions make it harder to create such a climate.' "

By removing our full support for Israel, the U.S. is taking an incredible risk. God watches over His covenant people. He promises blessing for those who support Israel and the Jews. For those who could support them and do not, there is the real danger that God will remove His support from us.

A LITTLE HISTORY

The most dangerous thing a government can do is to attempt to destroy the Jews. Historically, many nations have tried to do just this. To name a few, the Amalekites, the Midianites, the Persians, the Romans, and the Germans all tried, and they all suffered devastating loss.

To Abraham, the first Hebrew, God gave a covenant in perpetuity. Through Isaac and the Twelve Tribes of Israel, the covenant has been handed down from generation to generation. From the promise given to Abraham down to this day, the covenant is either overlooked or ignored by those who desire the extinction of the Jews. This is especially true today.

Actually, even Israel's enemies have a dim recognition of her intrinsic blessing. When the Nazis attempted to establish a thousand-year reich (a German kingdom), they must have had some idea that the Jews would have to be annihilated before they could complete their plans. Julius Streicher, publisher and editor for the German newspaper Der Sturmer, became the Fuehrer's propaganda minister after lauding him as a "gift of God", following his release from prison in 1924. He continually promoted the libel that Jews murdered Gentiles to obtain blood for the Passover supper. He painted the Jews as haters of men - Christians in particular. He wrote, "Christ is not a Jew, but an Aryan." Of Judaism, he said, "Its father is the devil." He also said, "Germans must fight Jews, that organized body of world criminals against whom Christ, the greatest anti-Semite of all time, had fought."

Grotesque thoughts like these set the tone of the Holocaust. The Nazis knew Jewish history. They were well aware that their biggest hurdle in setting up their utopia was the great promise that God had made to the Jews.

Following the Nazi defeat and the Nuremberg trials, Streicher was sentenced to death by hanging. As he took his final walk up the gallows steps, he said, "Now it goes to God." Just before the trap was sprung, he shouted, "PURIM FEST - 1946!"
At the moment of his death, Streicher recalled Haman and the Persian plot to destroy the Jews. The villainous Haman was hung upon the very gallows that he had prepared for the righteous Mordechai. The scheming Haman had tricked the Persian King Ahasuerus into signing an evil decree. His desire: "Let it be written that they be destroyed." (Esther 3:9)

But in the end it was Haman and his sons who were destroyed. Marking this occasion, a day of feasting was instituted:

"But when Esther came before the king, he commanded by letters that his wicked device, which he devised against the Jews, should return upon his own head, and that he and his sons should be hanged on the gallows.
"Wherefore they called these days Purim after the name of Pur. Therefore for all the words of this letter, and of that which they had seen concerning this matter, and which had come unto them,
"The Jews ordained, and took upon them, and upon their seed, and upon all such as joined themselves unto them, so as it should not fail, that they would keep these two days according to their writing, and according to their appointed time every year." (Esth. 9:25-27)

There is something about the Jews that is recognized by everyone, even Israel's worst enemies. No doubt, even despots like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad carry a deep-seated recognition of the fact that God has reserved a special blessing for Israel. His denial of the Holocaust is tinged with a hysteria that indicates a desperate hope that he can convince others of his fantasy. Men like him are faced with a choice: Either they must destroy the Jews, or accept their special place in the eyes of God. The latter, they cannot bear to do.

Returning to the case of Haman and the Persians, there is an interesting footnote:

"And in every province, and in every city, whithersoever the king's commandment and his decree came, the Jews had joy and gladness, a feast and a good day. And many of the people of the land became Jews; for the fear of the Jews fell upon them" (Esther 8:17)

From this, it may be discerned that the Persian "man on the street" knew all along that God reserved a special blessing for the Jews. Now, in the wake of Jewish victory, they were free to become converts. Thoughts of this historical event must have raced through Julius Streicher's mind as he dropped toward the end of his rope.

THE FORGOTTEN COVENANT

The opposite of a blessing is a curse. What Israel's enemies (and her half-hearted would-be supporters) willfully forget is that the Abrahamic Covenant contains a curse along with the blessing. It is plainly spoken; not hidden in any way, yet generally ignored:

"Now Adonai said to Avram, "Get yourself out of your country, away from your kinsmen and away from your father's house, and go to the land that I will show you. I will make of you a great nation, I will bless you, and I will make your name great; and you are to be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, but I will curse anyone who curses you; and by you all the families of the earth will be blessed." (Genesis 12:1-3)

There is something special about this curse. It returns to smite Israel's enemy in exactly the same way that it was intended against the Jews. In the case of Haman, he was hanged upon the very gallows that he had commissioned for Mordechai. In the 20th century example of Germany, Hitler started a fire in Europe. At the heart of his flaming offensive, the ovens of the concentration camps burned day and night. To his surprise, the fire that he started spread around the world, and blew back to consume him and his evil supporters.

God's blessing of Israel continues whether they are living in their Land or not. As the Lord ratified His covenant with Abraham, He told the great patriarch that his descendants would be exiled for four centuries. Yet, they would not be destroyed. Their blessing would continue, and they would return to receive their land grant:

"And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram: and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him.
"And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;
"And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.
"And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace' thou shalt be buried in a good old age.
"But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.
"And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.
"In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates (Gen. 15:12-18)

It has been said that the full extent of this land grant is about 300,000 sqare miles, of which Israel, at its maximum took only about a tenth...30,000 square miles. After several exiles, they were finally forced to leave even this behind. Still, the blessing continued, and continues to this day. This simple fact is ignored on a daily basis by the leaders of the powerful nations around the world. They know that God has a special blessing for Israel, yet their actions deny it. As we watch, Gentile world power is rising to its maximum, at which time it will be brought under judgment.

The Apostle Paul put it succinctly:

"For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. "And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: "For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins" (Rom. 11:25-27)

For over two centuries, the leaders of our country have been blessed, as they played a positive role in God's plan for Israel. But today, they have become wise in their own conceits. Their actions tell us that they now believe God's plan and His covenant with Israel are laughably antiquated.

Americans and their allies have repeatedly reduced the Jewish claim to sovereignty over their already diminished, tiny sliver of a nation.

They have forgotten the Covenant and the Curse.
Last edited by unclemarty on Oct 20th, 2009, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: The Covenant & The Curse

Post by Nebula »

Israel is not the innocent bystander in the Middle East. They complain a lot but, as the saying goes, those who live in glass houses...
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

... should keep a good stock of stones on hand for when the Goliaths come calling again.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

You can believe what you want, unclemarty. The facts speak for themselves. Israel is not innocent.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Nebula wrote:You can believe what you want, unclemarty. The facts speak for themselves. Israel is not innocent.

.... and neither is religion! :purefury:

Sometimes I just wish the deluded tribal delinquents would play out their little Armageddon fantasy that they so lust after, and leave the rest of us to get on with our one and only shot at life!

GROW-UP! For Mankind's sake, please grow-up!

PS: Britain(and thus, the Commonwealth) did not declare war on Germany because of the Jews, but because Germany invaded Poland. WWII was not about defending the Jews from the German nation, ever!
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

Nebula wrote: Israel is not innocent.

oh? well neither am i ... neither are you ...

Your statement means nothing by itself so why don't you just come out and actually say something.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

In response to your post, I believe my post says it all.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

These region should have their war, get over it and move on. Leave the rest of the world out of it. Who ever loses, to bad so sad.
Last edited by RR24K on Oct 21st, 2009, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

Born_again wrote: Britain(and thus, the Commonwealth) did not declare war on Germany because of the Jews, but because Germany invaded Poland. WWII was not about defending the Jews from the German nation, ever!

Thats right, most were ignorant or incredulous about the goings on at first. But it wasn't to Britain, the U.S. or any of the other combined allied forces that the author was attributing the credit for the overall cause and effect the German Nazis brought upon their own heads by attempting to anihilate the Jews:
There is something special about this curse. It returns to smite Israel's enemy in exactly the same way that it was intended against the Jews. In the case of Haman, he was hanged upon the very gallows that he had commissioned for Mordechai. In the 20th century example of Germany, Hitler started a fire in Europe. At the heart of his flaming offensive, the ovens of the concentration camps burned day and night. To his surprise, the fire that he started spread around the world, and blew back to consume him and his evil supporters.

You may never have connected those dots but the fact is the Nazis do belong to the list of mighty empires who set their attentions to the destruction of the Jews (a relatively easy mark to target) but ended up in the trash heap instead, while the Jews go on to thrive.

Born_again wrote: Britain(and thus, the Commonwealth) did not declare war on Germany because of the Jews...

In fact, the late great British empire actually made their own unknowing contribution to the nightmare prior to, during, and following Hitlers "final solution" - by limiting the number of legal immigration, and actively preventing desperate European Jew from fleeing to their only safety, the then british controlled palestine.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

unclemarty wrote:
You may never have connected those dots but the fact is the Nazis do belong to the list of mighty empires who set their attentions to the destruction of the Jews (a relatively easy mark to target) but ended up in the trash heap instead, while the Jews go on to thrive.

You still fail to show how the 'curse' had anything to do with the outcome of WWII. The plight of the Jews was not in any way, shape or form, part of the resolve of the Allies to defeat the Axis forces. Not one iota! If you wish to attribute the Allies victory to the fulfilment of a 'curse' then you are insulting the many millions of people who paid for the victory with their lives: their REAL LIVES!! How dare you mock their ultimate sacrifice in such a way -- and attempt to signify that a pathetic superstition was at play. I pity you.

unclemarty wrote:
Born_again wrote: Britain(and thus, the Commonwealth) did not declare war on Germany because of the Jews...

In fact, the late great British empire actually made their own unknowing contribution to the nightmare prior to, during, and following Hitlers "final solution" - by limiting the number of legal immigration, and actively preventing desperate European Jew from fleeing to their only safety, the then british controlled palestine.

Completely irrelevant, but very revealing; that is, very revealing of your completely twisted and biased view of history. I'm through with you, and the rest of your ilk.

God help me, and humanity.
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

Born_again wrote:..then you are insulting the many millions of people who paid for the victory with their lives: their REAL LIVES!! How dare you mock their ultimate sacrifice in such a way..

gee whiz Ralph, right from the start I figured you'd show up for this one, but i never expected your head to spin to the point you'd projectile vomit this.

Born_again wrote:
unclemarty wrote:

Completely irrelevant, but very revealing; that is, very revealing of your completely twisted and biased view of history.

Uh-Oh!, had this part of the big picture facts been omited from your history lessons at school? Don't take my twisted and biased word for it - have a look and see it's not exactly dreamed-up fiction. But maybe you'd be less hostile if i prefaced my British coments with the fact most British started off having "a long British tradition of interest, religious and political, in the Jewish restoration to Palestine, and it met with unanimous approval among the British people..."H. Sacher - July 1919
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/191907/sacher#

...but by the thirties, those that held the power to establish policy ended up caving to arab pressure, the risk of losing arab support to Hitler, and of losing their oil.

I know how much you detest highjacked threads but for your sake i'll include this:
...The Balfour Declaration and the conquest of Palestine by the British armed forces raised the hopes of the building of the Jewish Homeland “in the near future”, and in co-operation with the British, who received the mandate over Palestine from the League of Nations. The Zionist leadership from left to right, from Weizmann to Jabotinsky, was convinced that there was an identity of interest between Zionism and Great Britain. It became apparent very soon that this was not the case. Britain’s chief aim was guarding the interests of the British Empire and therefore it was very important to her to keep the sympathy of the Moslem countries in mind rather than those of the Zionist movement. Fear of the loss of Moslem support was a guideline of British policy from the end of WW-I and during the 30’s and 40’s. Zionist interests were contrary to those of the British as was stated clearly by their Foreign Secretary in 1938: “They (the Jews) ought to be told that whatever else we had meant by the Balfour Declaration, we had not meant to smash up the British Empire for their benefit.”

Limitation of immigration started with the very beginning of British rule in Palestine. For example, when Dr. Weizmann asked to receive 100 certificates for the immigration of Zionist activists, General Allenby, who had conquered the country and was now its military governor, said: “Now is not a desirable time to advocate increased immigration of Zionists to Palestine. Any aid given to them will be misinterpreted by the Arabs and exploited to the benefit of the Arabs.

With the end of British military rule and the start of the British mandatory government, the ability of the Palestinian economy to absorb immigrants became the basis for further immigration. The Jewish Agency agreed to this criterion but in the hands of the British Civil Service this became the main tool for limiting immigration. When Hitler came into power there was a large increase in the demand for immigration and about 50 000 Jews immigrated during the years 1934-1936, but this also was not sufficient. Most of these certificates went to the German Jews and the young Zionists from Poland and Lithuania hardly received any. Under these circumstances, the young Chalutzim (pioneers) and activists of the Betar movement organized their own Aliya (immigration). This was called by the British, “illegal immigration” and marks the beginning, in 1934, of organized illegal Aliya (this became known in Palestine as Aliya Bet, A.M.).

In reply to the increased amount of Aliya the Arabs started the riots of June, 1936. in order to minimize their importance they were termed “riots” but in effect, this was actually the first Intifada in which the Arabs declared war against Zionism. This war/ riots continued for three years, from 1936 until 1939, and included attacks upon Jewish settlements, shooting upon travelers on the roads and in population centers. It also included an economic boycott, a general strike and an international campaign that was conducted with the assistance of other Arab countries. Britain tried to limit the military activities of the Arab military forces but at the very same time did everything possible to keep Arab sympathy on its side and not have them transfer their loyalty to Germany. At that same time there were increased anti-Semitic activities (Crystalnacht); Austria joined the Reich; there was the meeting in Munich where Chamberlin and the British Government made its peace with the overrunning of Czechoslovakia by Germany. All the Jews of Austria, Germany and Czechoslovakia became desperate to find an asylum. The “enlightened world” gathered at Evian in France in emergency session in order to find a solution to the problem of the Jewish refugees. Prior to the conference the British made a deal with the Americans in which they promised not to demand that the USA change its immigration laws if the Americans do not demand that Great Britain open the gates of Palestine to the Jews. In effect, this conference closed the doors of all the participating nations to the immigration of the Jews. During the year 1939, a German vessel, the St. Louis sailed from Germany with a cargo of 1000 wealthy Jews with the intention of immigrating to Cuba. Before their arrival in Cuba their visas were revoked and they could not land. Efforts to disembark them in the USA failed and their ship returned to Germany where they were all put in concentration camps.

During the years 1938-1939, His Majesty’s Government prepared a statement of policy on immigration with the aim of placating the Arabs. Here are quotes of some of the ministers who participated in the discussions of the Committee on Palestine and the British cabinet: “We should not be led (to believe) that because of the recent persecution of the Jews, to take any action, which will prejudice the London discussions.” Cab. Nov.22, 1938.

"The fact must be faced that it is essential that we should reach agreement with the Arabs over the Palestine question…" Foreign Secretary Dec. 14, 1938.

The Prime Minister concluded, "If we must offend one side, let us offend the Jews rather than the Arabs."

In May 1939 a document was published which was known as “The White Paper” . Following are some excerpts from that “Paper”:

Section 4 … His Majesty’s Government declares in no uncertain way that it is not its policy to turn Palestine into a Jewish State. Section 14.1. During the next five years Jewish immigration will be 75,000 immigrants. 14.3. For the five years following [i.e. from 1944] no more Jewish immigration will be allowed unless the Arabs will acquiesce to it."

The Zionist Organization saw this “paper” as a Declaration of War. In August 1939 the Hagana (The Jewish Underground Defense forces in Palestine) sank a British naval vessel that was used to hunt ships carrying ma'apilim. However, three months after the publication of the “White Paper” WW-II broke out and the Jewish settlement in Palestine was interested in joining the British in the fight against the Nazis. 30 000 young men and women from the Jewish Settlement in Palestine (the Yishuv) volunteered to serve in the British Army. The Palmach was established with the aid of the British; the 23 young sailors sailed under the command of a British officer to sabotage a Lebanese installation (and were never again heard of); a unit of the Etzel was sent on a mission for the British to Iraq. The Yishuv in Palestine was Great Britain’s most loyal supporter in this region or anywhere in the world.

This did not change the attitude of the British Government to any extent and the White Paper policy remained in effect and was executed to the letter. The British worked diligently to prevent Jews from leaving the countries in which their lives were threatened and did their best to see that those that did succeed in fleeing received no further aid. They used their influence to see that they could not transfer to neutral countries and they did not allow them entry to Palestine even if they had certificates or if they came from German-held countries, on the grounds that they were possible enemy aliens. Immigrant ships were detained in the Danube and in the Bosporus and in Palestinian ports on the grounds that there were enemy spies among the immigrants. Immigrants on the ship, the Atlantic were exiled to Mauritius and The Struma was refused entry and returned to the Black Sea, where it sunk with all its passengers on board. When the reports of the systematic killing of the Jews of Europe became known it was apparent that immigration was now a desperate necessity to save lives. In 1943 a sea-going arm of the Palmach was established, the Palyam, and recruits were trained to take part in naval operations. Courses for ships’ captains and other sea going trades were conducted so that the Palyam would be able to bring ma'apilim to Palestine and Jewish soldiers in the British Army also organized to bring the ma'apilim from displaced persons centers to the Mediterranean ports. Radio operators also were trained so that contact could be maintained between the ships and the Hagana command.

In 1944, when the Soviet Army started its advance to the West, following the German defeat at Stalingrad, the remnants of the Holocaust started to move. Those that were in the Eastern European countries started to move in the direction of Western Europe and the Mediterranean, or the Black Sea, as the start of their journey to the Land of Israel. These desperate and helpless Jews saw Palestine as their only ray of hope. The Zionist youth movements were in the forefront of this awakening. At first the word Tiyul (hike) was used, to disguise the true purpose of the movement from the Soviets. In a short time this became a mass movement of people and was coordinated by emissaries from the Yishuv in Palestine. The term, Tiyul, was changed to the Hebrew word Bricha (escape), and was directed by the Organization for Aliya Bet (Ha'Mossad Le'Aliya Bet).

Once, when I asked a person who had been active in the Bricha when did he start thinking of immigrating to Palestine, he looked at me somewhat incredulously and answered, “We never stopped thinking of that possibility.” On another occasion, after I had given a lecture about Aliya Bet, one woman approached me and said, “I supplied you with clients.” In answer to my question, as to how she did that, she answered: “I was active in the Bricha movement.”

At the end of WW-II there were 6 million homeless people in Europe; among them were 50,000 Jews who were remnants of the extermination camps. One year later there were only 1 million homeless people but the number of Jews among them had grown to 300,000. People of other nationalities returned to their homelands but the Jews had nowhere to return to. Jews who had been with the partisans or had been hiding in forests; or who were hiding in monasteries in various countries, gathered in a rising stream and moved in the direction of Aliya, immigration to Palestine. That was the only path left to them despite the White Paper. The world was changed following the end of the World War and the British Empire had many problems to solve but the only policy that remained steadfast was the White Paper and the limitation of immigration to Palestine. The British armed forces increased pressure on various countries to halt the Bricha and Aliya Bet and to prevent the Jews from procuring vessels that would take ma'apilim to Palestine.

• In Poland, the British appealed to the (Communist) Government to prevent the Jews from leaving the country and to pressurize the Church to denounce anti-Semitism so that the Jews would not leave the country.

• In Rumania, Hungary, Bulgaria and Yugoslavia great efforts were made to prevent the Jews from crossing their borders on their way to the West.

• In Italy, Greece and France they tried to prevent the Jews from entering those countries, and to prevent them from leaving those countries on ships.

• In the USA they tried to have the government remove the tax-free clause from the Jewish campaigns because that money went to help the immigration of Jews.

• They kept a watchful eye on the purchase of ships anywhere so that they would be aware of what came into the possession of the Jewish Underground.

• In the Mediterranean countries they tried to prevent the Jews from obtaining crews to man illegal ships.

The British could not ignore the problem of the Jewish refugees but they tried to separate between the refugee problem and Palestine as the solution. They could not bring themselves to the conclusion that these two problems were in reality only one problem. The policy of the Civil Service did not take into account the desperately deep feeling of the remnants of the Holocaust for Eretz Israel, the Land of Israel. The Jews saw Palestine as the only land in which they could renew their lives. This was the result of years of suffering and despair, where Palestine remained their only hope. The Jewish settlement in Palestine was the tool, the catalyst which turned the energy and the desires of the remnants of the Holocaust into a steady stream of Aliya to Palestine so that they could rebuild their lives and build the State of Israel at the same time.

The British thought that the difficulties of the voyage to Palestine and the trials of imprisonment in Atlit and of the banishment to Cyprus would frustrate the ma'apilim so that they would give up on the whole venture. The British also hoped that the capture of the ships and the reduction of certificates due to the unlawful entry of ma'apilim would frustrate the Hagana command and show them the futility of their efforts, but Aliya Bet ships kept coming, and with an ever-growing number of ma'apilim.

In cabinet discussions on the subject, Field Marshall Montgomery, the hero of El Alamein and the head of the British Armed Forces, guaranteed that the British Navy would prevent ships from reaching the shores of Palestine and that the Army would be able to control the Yishuv in the event of mass rioting. The Royal Navy was not enthralled by the task it was to perform in this operation. All would have preferred that the soldiers go home after the war was over, but now they had to prepare for their new duties and they did this care. 49 ships were assigned to this task of fighting Aliya Bet; 9 coastal vessels, 21 destroyers, 8 frigates and 11 mine sweepers. At the naval base in Malta a special training camp was established to teach the sailors and marines how to overcome a ship loaded with human beings. The training was specific to taking the bridge, the engine room, the communications center, etc. Among the tutors there was always a sergeant or officer of the Palestine Police who lectured upon Palestinian (Jewish) terrorist activities. British sailors were very surprised when in the field of action they did not meet any terrorists on the ships but had to fight against young girls and boys or old women and men, all dressed in rags, and they did not see any hard-boiled terrorists. In general, the navy men tried to act with restraint and there were only a few incidents of the use of greater force than necessary. There were also cases when kindness and consideration were shown.

In conclusion: there were three main elements at work in the course of this mass immigration:

1. Most important was the desire of the remnants of the Holocaust to reach Palestine and rebuild their lives and build the State of Israel.

2. The British, for their own reasons, could not agree to illegal immigration.

3. The Jewish Yishuv in Palestine mobilized itself to the task of bringing the remnants of the Holocaust to Palestine and mobilized Jewry of Europe and the United States in order to achieve this goal.

Yoseph Rom - Yehuda Ben-tzur - Pinchas Ashuach
Palyam & Aliya Bet veterans

The Palyam, established in 1943, was the naval unit of the Palmach/Hagana. Its members commanded the ships of post WW-II Aliya Bet - the organized illigal immigration of Jews to Eretz Israel between 1945 and 1948 during the British rule in Palestine/Eretz Israel, carried out sabotage operations against the British Navy in support of Aliya Bet, fought and lost 70 of their members in the battle over besieged Jerusalem, escorted the arms ships that brought badly needed weapons to Israel before & during the Independence War, and comprised the ranks and files of the newly-born Israeli Navy.
http://www.palyam.org/English/Hahapala/mainpage

The end of the fourties was the begining of the end of the once great British Empire.

Born_again wrote:I'm through with you, and the rest of your ilk.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”