The Bible

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
1nick
Lord of the Board

Re: The Bible

Post by 1nick »

If Hmmm and averagejoe were face to face,do you think they would start beating each other about the head and neck with their bibles?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

nickd wrote:If Hmmm and averagejoe were face to face,do you think they would start beating each other about the head and neck with their bibles?
Thats funny, but I think without googles quick answers there me be an issue. I was called new age because I referred to the new commandment Jesus gave which in fact covers all the mosaic law. Some people don't see that I guess.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Hmmm wrote: Thats funny, but I think without googles quick answers there me be an issue. I was called new age because I referred to the new commandment Jesus gave which in fact covers all the mosaic law. Some people don't see that I guess.

Well, Jesus' message was pretty new age back then and still is.

BTW, the there is nothing new about the new age, it is a rehash of old knowledge, not much different from Christians misunderstanding their two thousand year old book. What I find funny is that most Christians don't even follow Christ's teachings. The bible is about Jesus and that is the center of their religion. I believe the point of Jesus teachings were designed to encourage people to become Christ like. Judging by the exchange on here, I don't see much of that going on, nor do I see it out in society.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

cliffy1 wrote:Well, Jesus' message was pretty new age back then and still is.

BTW, the there is nothing new about the new age, it is a rehash of old knowledge, not much different from Christians misunderstanding their two thousand year old book. What I find funny is that most Christians don't even follow Christ's teachings. The bible is about Jesus and that is the center of their religion. I believe the point of Jesus teachings were designed to encourage people to become Christ like. Judging by the exchange on here, I don't see much of that going on, nor do I see it out in society.

I agree theres nothing new under the sun. I too see much in the way of un-christian behavior here but I hope I am not included. I don't think I'm perfect by any means but trying to explain what Jesus taught in a respectful manner I don't believe to be un-christian. However the use of the emonicons back and forth is childish at best.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Hmmm wrote:I agree theres nothing new under the sun. I too see much in the way of un-christian behavior here but I hope I am not included. I don't think I'm perfect by any means but trying to explain what Jesus taught in a respectful manner I don't believe to be un-christian. However the use of the emonicons back and forth is childish at best.

I think Christians wold be far better off if they only read the teaching of Jesus (only the lines in red) like the red line Christians do. The rest is not really relevant to our spiritual growth. Fighting over dogma is just plain silly.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Hmmm wrote:Sorry but Jesus replaced those, which was the point I was making. Its called the law of love. When you follow it you don't do the above. Everything is covered in it.

Do you know of one that isn't, therefore we still need the Mosaic law?

I think we are arguing semantics. Love is the answer, now what was the question? Yes, of course having love means you won't lie, cheat, and steal. Jesus' words say something along the lines of "I did not come to abolish but to fulfill." The laws still apply (no lying, cheating, and stealing), but instead, the New Testament says to love thy neighbor as thyself; if you love they neighbour, you won't lie, cheat, and steal... unless thy neighbour's wife comes home early...

============================================================================
Sneaksuit wrote:It would be tough to conclude that violent crime correlates with bible belief but we should look at the rate of growth of religion in Canada. According to Reginald Bibby in his 2002 book Restless Gods - The Renaissance of Religion in Canada religion has not declined in Canada in the past century and is in fact experiencing a resurgence of sorts. Additionally, violent crime in Canada has declined in the past few decades.

You're wrong on both counts. Anyone who doesn't think religion has declined in Canada is delusional. There are two churches within a few blocks of my house that are for sale because no one is attending them anymore. It is well documented beyond anectodes that we are less religious than we were a generation or two ago. I'm not making a value judgement, just stating a fact.

Your graph does not prove your case of a crime rates going down since the the median age in Canada 26 in 1962, now it's 40.6; young people commit most of the crimes. Any discussion about whether or not crime has to look at crimes rates at the various age levels.

P.S. I was not making a claim that a relationship exists between how religious a society is and the crime rate; I was merely pointed out that your point could be correct about a lot of people needing the laws written in stone by a deity.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

Glacier wrote:You're wrong on both counts. Anyone who doesn't think religion has declined in Canada is delusional.

Glacier, I did not claim anything, just giving you some data.

Glacier wrote:There are two churches within a few blocks of my house that are for sale because no one is attending them anymore. It is well documented beyond anectodes that we are less religious than we were a generation or two ago. I'm not making a value judgement, just stating a fact.

This is an estimate made using large group behavior, not individual. Bibby is a respected sociologist specializing in religion. It states church membership has not declined and as I said increased, however, the type of worship has changed from strict adherence and practice to a looser form of worship that is convenient with modern lifestyle, with many only observing rights of passage. New age religions have also increased.

Glacier wrote:Your graph does not prove your case of a crime rates going down since the the median age in Canada 26 in 1962, now it's 40.6; young people commit most of the crimes. Any discussion about whether or not crime has to look at crimes rates at the various age levels.

I understand that, and there's other problems with it as well, but I submitted information other than a "common knowledge" link to Wiki. It wasn't my intention to come to any conclusions.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

You do know that you can find much more reliable information on this subject than Google and Wiki right? Sometimes you have to step back and look at the mountain. You can debate over words and insist the area you live in is flat, but all you need to do is look outside.
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

Hmmm wrote:You do know that you can find much more reliable information on this subject than Google and Wiki right? Sometimes you have to step back and look at the mountain. You can debate over words and insist the area you live in is flat, but all you need to do is look outside.

I figured a university textbook on religious trends was. Check here if you want crime stats.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/search-recherc ... va-eng.htm
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

The scriptures are an absolutely awsome wonder. The Torah and the Prophets mesh completely and harmoniously with the Apostolic writings on the Messiah (Adonai Echad - The Lord is One). Any fault or contradiction is in our perception and understanding. This is revealed repeatedly to those who still seek Him in humility and truth.
Do so, while He may still be found.

"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”