The nature of "luck" and its intangibles

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

The nature of "luck" and its intangibles

Post by Queen K »

Whereas we all have, at sometime or another, experienced a feeling have being "lucky" or "unlucky", I was just wondering what the nature of luck really is in our society.

Do we really feel lucky in our society? Is one's luck personal? Does one lucky thing always lead to more lucky things? Are those who reject the rat race for materialism really the lucky ones?

I was hoping to keep religion out of this discussion, but find that spiritual beliefs may be impossible to separate out of luck. Some call it "providence."

Do we always choose good luck or bad luck? Is it really our thought processes?

Thoughts?
If Putin stopped, he'd be saving Russian lives as well. Never thought the right would have a field day but June 24/2022 it is.
Born_again
Guru

Re: The nature of "luck" and it's intangibles

Post by Born_again »

I think it's funny in the way people ascribe fortune/misfortune to luck; or lack of.
Control:

As a former competitive athlete I've often had the charge of, "You were lucky this time!" thrown at me by rather unmagnanimous opponents, to which I would flatly respond that either 'luck' had nothing to do with it, or that I make my own luck. That does not at all infer that I for one moment thought that luck had a role to play in the outcome, but rather a collection or succession of chances/opportunities arose that I interpreted and utilised to my best advantage. Of course, this is/was/were a scenario/s over which I had an element of control; what about when I have no control?

No control:
Was I lucky that an armour-piercing round missed my head by millimetres, resulting only in temporary(2 months) deafness and a bad-hair-day? -- or was I unlucky that the round didn't pass harmlessly 3 metres away, thus saving me from temporary deafness? It is ridiculous to ascribe luck either way, in either case. The fact of the matter is that the woman who wanted to take my life was poorly skilled to do so in the circumstances, but the 'chance' she acted upon must have fatally outweighed her lack of confidence in her own skill for that particular task. That was a split second judgement-call that forever precluded her from acting on chance again.

As a statement of fact, I will never win the lottery; but that is because I choose not submit to the chance that relatives and friends may envy me were I to win the lottery. That is my decision. Now, that decision may leave me open to resentment from family and friends for not increasing 'our', or 'their', collective pooling of chance(luck) to attain a statistically greater chance of monetary excess. If they can see that money or greed is the source of their resentment, then, GOOD!!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Characterizing luck as defined by, "hey, look I'm still alive" is indeed a worthy thought.

I too am lucky by that standard.

Our society has many sayings referring to luck:

Lucky dog
When one's luck runs out.
See a penny, pick it up, all day long, you'll have good luck.
Luck of the Irish
Good luck
Bad luck

and on and on.

Are thought processes key to bringing us all luck? Putting it out there to the universe kind of luck when we get what we've requested? Always be careful what you ask for.
If Putin stopped, he'd be saving Russian lives as well. Never thought the right would have a field day but June 24/2022 it is.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

I have the luck of the Irish.

Yup, the Black Plague, Potato famine, colonized by Britain Irish.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I think it all about perception.
One can choose to view any situation as lucky or unlucky, but it is what you see from it, how you deal with it, and what you learn from it.
I'm lucky...I didn't hit that car...
I'm unlucky...That car almost hit me.
I'm lucky... I hit the car, but didn't die
I'm unlucky...man I hit that car and look at the damage
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

I think the word "luck" puts a positive spin on what really are pure random events. A way to explain why, or put meaning to an event.
Like born_agains biking analogy , we can increase our odds of success with talent, experience , but one can do everything right to the very best of their abilities and still fail..... The "bounce didn't go their way", the "coin toss" was heads when It needed to be tails.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I think it's all relative. I look back on my life and I see that quite a few events can be described as "lucky". But what if some major thing could have happened to me and I would look at my life and though "Wow if it wasn't for that my life would totally suck". Does that even make sense?

The again, I'm quite a positive person and always try to put a positive spin on things. I bet if I'm ever broke and live on a street eating beans, I'll still think I'm lucky for some reason.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: The again, I'm quite a positive person and always try to put a positive spin on things. I bet if I'm ever broke and live on a street eating beans, I'll still think I'm lucky for some reason.

Ya, good luck on finding dem beans ;o)

(good attitude to have Captain)
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

good things happen
to good people.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

For whatever reason, my luck often depends my attitude - namely my level of humility.

If I am confident, but remain humble, I often win; as soon as I starting thinking I am pretty good, I suck.

I remember one time in High School, while playing goalie in a hockey game, some of the players (on the other team) told me I was the best goalie they had every seen. Well, I let it get to my head, and the next time I played, I was a complete embarrassment to my team. You would think I could learn from this, but I have made this same mistake several times since then.

The hard part is that you have to be confident you are going to win (or at least excel), but not prideful. It is a very fine line.

Same goes with board games and other things that require mostly luck. My attitude determines my outcome most of the time.

Captain Awesome wrote:I think it's all relative. I look back on my life and I see that quite a few events can be described as "lucky". But what if some major thing could have happened to me and I would look at my life and though "Wow if it wasn't for that my life would totally suck". Does that even make sense?

The again, I'm quite a positive person and always try to put a positive spin on things. I bet if I'm ever broke and live on a street eating beans, I'll still think I'm lucky for some reason.

Excellent post, Captain. I also adhere to that philosophy (or at least like to think I do).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Re: The nature of "luck" and its intangibles

Post by kgcayenne »

Sometimes luck has more to do with being able to recognize an opportunity and sieze it.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I think there's nothing one can do to avoid pure luck, good or bad. If you had two playing cards face down, an ace and a two, and a hundred people had to choose which one was the ace, some would guess right, some wrong, there's no skill involved and no way to logically guess the right one or alter the outcome, it's pure luck. Shuffle the cards around and have the same people guess three times and some might guess correctly all 3 times, some might not at all, and some once or twice. It's the law of averages, it's the law of life... this is why one can never have complete control of their destiny.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I was just reflecting on how personally "lucky" I am to have such perfect weather in January for an electrician to be digging a hole for a grounding plate.

Should the ground be er, Frozen right about now? With snow drifts on either side of the house?

Last year was brutal, what is it about this year that the El Nino has presence here just when I decide, completely without a thought in my head about weather issues, to tear apart my house?

So, lucky?

Or not?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Queen K wrote:I was just reflecting on how personally "lucky" I am to have such perfect weather in January for an electrician to be digging a hole for a grounding plate.

Should the ground be er, Frozen right about now? With snow drifts on either side of the house?

Last year was brutal, what is it about this year that the El Nino has presence here just when I decide, completely without a thought in my head about weather issues, to tear apart my house?

So, lucky?

Or not?

Definitely the luck of the draw... I've had instances where I've told people that with my luck the weather is probably going to mess up my plans, it does, they say it's because I was thinking negatively. I thought it quite a compliment that they figured I alone could control the weather with my mind. :127:
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

This is starting to sound like "The Secret" (movie/book).
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”