Merry Christmas

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Merry Christmas

Post by Big ned »

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a merry Christmas and a happy new year. Despite differences we all may have, especially on this forum, we are all part of the human race and God's children.

Feel free to post traditions, memories or just glad tidings of good joy.

I just finished reading "A Christmas Sweater" by Glenn Beck and it reminded me of the joy one can savour in life when the right perspective is taken. A good read that I would recommend for this time of year.

More in a minute.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re:

Post by eyepop »

happy new year to you too Ned.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by Nebula »

Happy non-denominational festive winter snow-laden day to all.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

I can hear the music playing in the back ground... Glen beck roasting on an open fire...

Err.. Chest nuts I mean... Darn Freudian slips...

Anyhow Merry Christmas to you all!Even to you Godless heathens that hate Christmas.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Merry Christmas to you too Big Ned and a happy New Year! :)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

:smt114 To all a very *Merry* and Holidays :smt114 , and all the best in 2010. :smt114

Also happy Festivus to those. Be careful when setting up pole. :smt114

* * you can be as merry as you want just please don't drive after. I don't want to hear/read of any of you on either side of that news report.
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

Merry Saturnalia Everybody.
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

May everyone have a Merry and Happy Christmas and may 2010 be a good year to all
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S to one and all and the best for the coming new year. May we all be around for many more lively discussions!!
Bestest times are spending time with family and friends sharing stories around the dinner table.:smt114
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

Love the smell of pine tree in the house. The excitement of children as the big day approaches. The discussions on the birth of Christ and his positive effects on our lives. The baking and delivering of goodies to friends and family, christmas carroling in the dark as the large snowflakes fall. The background christmas music as preparations are being made to take "secret santa" gifts to families in the area that are in need and may have to go without this season. I think this one act teaches our children more about the true meaning of Christmas than anything else.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re: Merry Yule

Post by eyepop »

Big ned wrote:Love the smell of pine tree in the house.

"Thus saith the Lord, learn not the way of the heathen...For the customs of the people are vain; for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not."
(Jeremiah 10:2-6)
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

That's OK... My tree moves.
I'm also not an adherent to the Law of Moses, that would be the Jews.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

oy vey!

Do the 10 commandments hold no sway with you?

(asked sincerely)
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Have a Saucy Solstice everyone, and celebrate/signify it however you wish.

RAmen
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

eyepop wrote:oy vey!

Do the 10 commandments hold no sway with you?

(asked sincerely)

That, my friend is a religion lesson that would take more than a simple discussion forum would allow. A quick summary.. The children of Israel were found unable to abide the higher law that Christ brought. The ten commandments are doctrinal and not part of the day to day "rules" that the children of Israel were given as a "type" of the coming of Christ. Things (such as what you posted) are day to day rules that were done away with (according to christians) when Christ came. He taught a higher law that fulfilled or replaced the law of Moses, but didn't do away with eternal truths (such as the ten commendments). The Jews didn't recognize Christ as the Saviour and therefore are still following the Law of Moses in anticipation of His coming. Christ taught

‘“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.” This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: “You shall love your neighbour as yourself.” On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.’

That is why Christianity and Judaism are not the same thing. Christians believe Christ taught this higher law that was ruled by the spirit rather than the specifics of the lower law or law of Moses.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”