Merry Christmas

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Clear as mud. Maybe I should have paid more attention in Sunday school.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re:

Post by eyepop »

:124:

merry Christmas.

Big ned wrote:That, my friend is a religion lesson that would take more than a simple discussion forum would allow. A quick summary.. The children of Israel were found unable to abide the higher law that Christ brought. The ten commandments are doctrinal and not part of the day to day "rules" that the children of Israel were given as a "type" of the coming of Christ. Things (such as what you posted) are day to day rules that were done away with (according to christians) when Christ came. He taught a higher law that fulfilled or replaced the law of Moses, but didn't do away with eternal truths (such as the ten commendments). The Jews didn't recognize Christ as the Saviour and therefore are still following the Law of Moses in anticipation of His coming. Christ taught

‘“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.” This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: “You shall love your neighbour as yourself.” On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.’

That is why Christianity and Judaism are not the same thing. Christians believe Christ taught this higher law that was ruled by the spirit rather than the specifics of the lower law or law of Moses.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Big ned wrote: That is why Christianity and Judaism are not the same thing. Christians believe Christ taught this higher law that was ruled by the spirit rather than the specifics of the lower law or law of Moses.

Plus the Jews were *bleep* that Christ preached "turn the other cheek" and "give Caesar his due" instead of coming to kick some Roman *bleep* like they had been expecting.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

Yes Steven, that was part of it as well. Very eloquently stated. :137:
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Thank you ned. I am the epitome of eloquence.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Merry Christmas,

you dirty buggers :smt111
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

steven lloyd wrote:Thank you ned. I am the epitome of eloquence.

Steven Lloyd.

The Epitome of Eloquence. It runs off the tongue..

Happy Festivus.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

happ :runforlife: y weed day
GO CANUCKS GO
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Big ned wrote:
eyepop wrote:oy vey!

Do the 10 commandments hold no sway with you?

(asked sincerely)

That, my friend is a religion lesson that would take more than a simple discussion forum would allow. A quick summary.. The children of Israel were found unable to abide the higher law that Christ brought. The ten commandments are doctrinal and not part of the day to day "rules" that the children of Israel were given as a "type" of the coming of Christ. Things (such as what you posted) are day to day rules that were done away with (according to christians) when Christ came. He taught a higher law that fulfilled or replaced the law of Moses, but didn't do away with eternal truths (such as the ten commendments). The Jews didn't recognize Christ as the Saviour and therefore are still following the Law of Moses in anticipation of His coming. Christ taught

‘“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.” This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: “You shall love your neighbour as yourself.” On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.’

That is why Christianity and Judaism are not the same thing. Christians believe Christ taught this higher law that was ruled by the spirit rather than the specifics of the lower law or law of Moses.

God made a bond with Abraham that his seed would eventually be the "chosen people."
The commandments are the laws of the "chosen people" the Isrealites.
God got tired of the Jews breaking his laws time and again, so he decided to open up the possibility of being a "chosen one" to everyone on earth. The only fair way of doing this, obviously, was to have his son sent to Earth and killed.

In short, Jesus' death breaks God's verbal contract with Abraham and the Jews haven't been the "chosen people" since.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Mr. Personality wrote: God made a bond with Abraham that his seed would eventually be the "chosen people." The commandments are the laws of the "chosen people" the Isrealites.
God got tired of the Jews breaking his laws time and again, so he decided to open up the possibility of being a "chosen one" to everyone on earth. The only fair way of doing this, obviously, was to have his son sent to Earth and killed. In short, Jesus' death breaks God's verbal contract with Abraham and the Jews haven't been the "chosen people" since.

That is a very interesting perspective (sure to irk someone). :127: Thanks. Merry Christmas.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

merry weedmas
GO CANUCKS GO
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

Whoa Mr. Personality. I have to challenge that statement. Are you aware that almost everyone who followed Christ during the first years of his ministry were Jews? Were they considered not part of the chosen? Weren't all of the original 12 apostles Jews? I guess they weren't part of the chosen people? Your statement is completely innacurate according to biblical record, and according to latter day prophets.

Please post anything that might support your opinion on this. Or is that all it is, just an opinion?

The chosen people of God are still the twelve tribes of Israel. Gentiles are grafted into the family by believing in God and repenting and being baptized in his name(by one holding proper authority). While it is true that anyone today can become a part of the chosen people (unlike in the old testament times under the law of Abraham), in no way were the Jewish people (who are only one of the tribes of Isreael) excluded from that promise and blessing.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Go back and read. I never said they were excluded from anything. I said the Jews were no longer God's chosen people. Everyone is now God's chosen people.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

And I said the Jews and the children of Israel had no promise broken, verbal or otherwise. I also said (if you had read my post) that not everyone is part of God's chosen people, they simply have an opportunity to become part of the chosen people through baptism into the kingdom.

I'm afraid you will have to explain this statement. You seem to contradict yourself in one sentence. "I said the Jews were no longer God's chosen people. Everyone is now God's chosen people."

You seem to be saying that the Jews are no longer God's chosen people, then by saying everybody in now God's chosen people you are including the Jews again. Confusing. The Jews were never God's only chosen people (if that is what you are getting at) the twelve tribes of Isreal were, of which the Jews made up only 1/12 of that group.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”