High school Christian club banned

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

High school Christian club banned

Post by Glacier »

High school Christian club banned from hallowed hallways

They meet despite Prince of Wales principal Jack Bailey, who denies the club official sanction and the accompanying right to advertise and assemble. Those privileges are reserved for more stately student organizations such as the Prince of Wales Yo-Yo Club and, of course, the Environmental Club--an offshoot of the world's fastest-growing religious movement.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Re: High school Christian club banned

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

They should be able to meet. As long as they attend science classes and understand that a belief in God and creationism is just superstition. If their meetings help them through the day, fine. It's a free country.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

old-bushman wrote:As long as they attend science classes and understand that a belief in God and creationism is just superstition.

That's quite the stipulation you're putting on these kids. "Absolutely you can have your club, just so long as you sign this piece of paper confirming you understand that religion is all hocus pocus."
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

They don't need to sign anything, just realise the reality of life. I must say, those Baptists are a wild and crazy bunch. That's pretty radical, wanting to get together with your friends and say a few prayers. While religion is not my cup of tea, I must support these people in their endeavors, because freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and all the other freedoms we enjoy because of the sacrifice of millions of lives in 2 world wars is absolutely priceless. " I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". Not a line spoken by many religions in the world.

Wouldn't it be funny if we got up to heaven and the Hari Krishnas were right all along!
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I realize they don't have to sign anything. I was stretching things for dramatic effect. My apologies if you didn't understand.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

Nebula wrote:I realize they don't have to sign anything. I was stretching things for dramatic effect. My apologies if you didn't understand.

lol but nebula since you come from planet vulcan most things are not logical to us earthlings :ohmygod:
GO CANUCKS GO
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Thanks to the ACLU again! Lets all keep politcally correct now. Now How can we ban the word Christmas....hummmm How will we elimnate Christmas oh? Bit by bit every year and anything to do with Christmas. And soon it will be just a memory.......

http://www.ksdk.com/news/national/story ... 1&catid=28
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

The ACLU is an American organization. What's your point?
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

I guess you didn't read my posting?

Mr Danksworth wrote:The ACLU is an American organization. What's your point?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Forget banning Christmas, it's a great holiday when you need it most. Let's just ban religions and keep the holidays.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

averagejoe wrote:I guess you didn't read my posting?

Mr Danksworth wrote:The ACLU is an American organization. What's your point?

Yes I did. In the US they have separation of church and state enshrined in their constitution. The display in question was on courthouse(government) property so they had to move it. Not a big deal, and not any different than when the nutters try and get the 10 commandments put on the courthouse lawn and get denied.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

No Danksworth, they do not have the separation of church and state enshrined in their constitution. It actually is found no where in the constitution. Perhaps you can stop repeating a classic progressive lie to try and deceive those who don't care to do research. Please take time to educate yourself if you are not trying to further this lie. Thanks.

In actuality the Supreme court has grossly misused the phrase "separation of church and state" which appears nowhere in the constitution and certainly isn't "enshrined" in it. Religious displays are allowed in many states whether it be the ten commandments (upon which the founding documents were based) or christmas displays, or hannukah displays... it is up to the supreme court to rule on such matters and the previous poster was correct... it is tiresome to have the ACLU bring phantom charges against Christmas displays when the majority of Americans are Christian or of some other faith that believes in God that has celebrations at this time of year.

Hopefully Mr Danksworth you have learned something today.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Personally I'm very upset that this school has banned this christian club. It's a huge setback for our so-called modern civilisation; and one that may prevent me from ever seeing the joyous beauty of Islamic Clubs from exercising their religious rituals in the hallways, or mandated prayer breaks mid-way through lesson periods. Heck!, what about building little chapels, mosques and synagogues in the gymnasium? Or .....we could re-appropriate the maths, English and science rooms for worship; I mean they have dumbed-down education so much now that fiction, fantasies and fairy-tales may be more culturally appropriate/acceptable anyway?

Think about it ... if you let this particular blend of religious activity into our schools, you WILL HAVE TO allow other flavours of religious activities as well, and there's a good chance that some of them will not quite be to your liking!
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Back in September 2008, then 13-year-old Hannah Lin, co-leader of BASIC, met with Bailey and was told her club clashed with Prince of Wales policy. Bibles and prayer, said Bailey, had no place in his hallowed halls.

She was clearly told that religious clubs were not permitted. Seems pretty simple to me. If she wants her BASIC club, she should set it up at the church she attends...that's what churches are for. Running around and playing persecuted christian is a sad ploy for attention.
That being said, she can pray all she wants and she can talk jesus until she is blue in the face. She just has to keep it to the hallways.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Seems fair enough.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”