Pat Robertson on Haiti

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Re: Pat Robertson on Haiti

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

http://givingaid.richarddawkins.net/
'Preachers and televangelists, mullahs and imams, often seem almost to gloat over natural disasters – presenting them as payback for human transgressions, or for ‘making a pact with the devil’. Earthquakes and tsunamis are caused not by ‘sin’ but by tectonic plate movements, and tectonic plates, like everything else in the physical world, are supremely indifferent to human affairs and sadly indifferent to human suffering. Those of us who understand this reality are sometimes accused of being indifferent to that suffering ourselves. Of course the very opposite is the truth: we do not hide behind the notion that earthly suffering will be rewarded in a heavenly paradise, nor do we expect a heavenly reward for our generosity: the understanding that this is the only life any of us have makes the need to alleviate suffering even more urgent. The myth that it is only the religious who truly care is sustained largely by the fact that they tend to donate not as individuals, but through their churches. Non-believers, by contrast, give as individuals: we have no church through which to give collectively, no church to rack up statistics of competitive generosity. Non-Believers Giving Aid is not a church (that’s putting it mildly) but it does provide an easy conduit for the non-religious to help those in desperate need, whilst simultaneously giving the lie to the canard that you need God to be good.'
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

I liked that Pat had Satan talking like a drug dealer or a game show contestant. I actually thought the vid was a spoof when I first viewed it * shakes head*
Am I free tomorrow? No I'm expensive every day
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Y'know ... I couldn't even watch that Pat Robertson video in the first post. That man and all evangelists bring out the absolute worst in me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Looks like we have our own little hate-monger closer to home. He's balking and saying it was taken out of context. :200:
http://www.theprovince.com/Surrey+pasto ... nce+-+News)
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

Nothing out of the lip or minds of any of these evangelical or other christian based religions surprises me. It's all same the either your with jc or you're going to hell. And god is somewhere in the sky with stick just waiting to beat you into believing in jc. Whatever blah....... blah..... blah..... it all stinks.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Mr Danksworth wrote:Looks like we have our own little hate-monger closer to home.

Pastor Dave?
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

*please repost in English - Jennylives

Don't let Quebec find out. But Okay here it is in english.

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

By George Dennis Carlin
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

TDogg80 wrote:Did anyone hear Pat Robertson's comments on the Haiti quake yesterday?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5TE99sAbwM

Okay, straight from the Christian Broadcasting Network. Can any Christians please explain how this guy makes any sense at all? :ohmygod:

Ooops did that come out.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”