Look what happening in the State of Tennessee

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Re: Look what happening in the State of Tennessee

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Read the Huffington Post article. Religious people really are scary aren't they? I like my belief system much better. The only killing allowed by my "Bible" is the killing of a few beers.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

old-bushman wrote:Read the Huffington Post article. Religious people really are scary aren't they?

Yes. I did read it and I agree. Some religious people can be very scary - although I have met many religious people who aren't scary at all. In fact, I have read posts by some atheists here on this board that demonstrate a much greater extent of rigid, stereotypical and prejudicial thinking than the scariest religious zealot.

old-bushman wrote: I like my belief system much better. The only killing allowed by my "Bible" is the killing of a few beers.

Good Bible. I enjoy killing the odd beer myself (usually after I shower though).

:130:
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Post by BVulgaris »

answer to education of the youth:

I think they should have an education worthy enough to scrutinize the truth for themselves no matter what is thrown at them. The same lessons taught in language classes to understand great poets and ideologies of our time and ages past. If you can read through shakespeare and understand what hes saying, you should be able to pick apart whats infront of you in the daily paper. Math classes help us look at gov. expenditure reports and decide whether our taxes are being used properly, or if things arent adding up (like US "reduction of troops" can acctualy mean an increase).

The scientific method that has allowed progression of human kind not only in the sciences but also in religion. An example of this is the protestant movements towards religious equality, human rights, and accessability to the texts of science and religion without persecution. The only way to win a war of ideologies is to understand both sides of the argument and rise above the BS. Im not saying im a stellar example by any means, but i feel the skill of research, debate, and cohesive resolution is not only an endangered exsitance, but a tradition that is fading fast for some of the youth.

But as in the days of plato, young people will flock to hear those on the fringes of our hypocracies, and we should be judged by our own methods and by our own offspring.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

most the right wing ppl in the states use the bible to justify what most normal thinking ppl would consider wrong, if the right wing had their way there would stil be slaves
GO CANUCKS GO
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Post by BVulgaris »

if you want to read something scary, try reading the republican charter.

There are many many fanatics out there. I partially blamed disney and the way our economy and society "diznifies" things for children. Learning how to accept the world as it is and working allitle bit every day to change it is the way large groups of people begin to change the world for the better.

Religion doesnt have to be a negative role in our lives. The worker's solidarity movement was mainly started by the protestants as they had the necessary infrastructre for organized human action. The church community structure naturally lends itself for self corrective actions in the community. The problem with this is like any other organizational structure there are heiarchys of power, and with growth often become less egalitarian. The megachurches down in Texas and elsewhere are a testament to this (ever heard of joe olstein? bought a basketball sports arena and turned it into a church).

The fiscal power of such an organization with huge memberships allows for the heiarchy of power within the church structure quite a bit of influence. Good intentions often follow, however there is no study of their secondary effects. An example of this are church organizations that send clothing to other struggling countries. The secondary effect being that the local market is then swamped with a zero cost product that puts any competition for that market in the region, out of business. Good intentions are wonderfull, but they can be as dangerous.

This is why many religious texts (especially the bible, look at the book of psalms) call for the education of the community. This is an intrinsic necessity for not just church guided communities, but for all organizations of people as every single person participates in government regardless if any effort is put forward.

Tithes and taxes are very similar in the respect that they must be used to properly represent the will of the community. If it is not so, or the community body either isnt allowed or does not allow themselves input, the fiscal power (power in this sense = (work * time)) is used at the whims of the leaders. It is the economic drive in these communities that are the most dangerous as the money taken in is representative of the abilities and work each member of the community contributes. So the fiscal hand so to say is a representation of the hands of the people. But we often avail ourselves of the responsibility of what that hand does.

my point: hiding information will only weaken our children. I remember an old story of Omar Khayyám. He was asked by his teacher, who at the time was also responsible for the seljuk turk sultan's safety, to tell the sultan that he will win in battle. This is after Omar is asked to divine from the stars, the outcome of a future battle. Omar basically says that he cannot divine the future from the stars, and to allow the sultan to be motivated by lies only serves to weaken his judgement. Instead he says to tell him the truth so that his judgement will be strong and based on truth.

To give our children even the weakest and smallest of lies, is like a fault plank in the construct of their lives on which they will stand not knowing its faults.

But these are choices. I still think my children will enjoy celebrating christmas, but my own beleif is that i should tell him the story of st.nicholas, the man and his sacrifices, and not the fairy tale that invades the house via chimney.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”