How did we get here ?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Re: How did we get here ?

Post by hellomynameis »

I'll sum it up rly quick, k?

For an unknown reason, around 14.5Ga, the universe came into existence, fundamental particles rapidly expanded and cooled until they could form hydrogen, blah blah blah, stars and supernovae, mix in blender and repeat, blah blah blah all the elements pour out, more stars and galaxies, angular momentum + accretion gets you some solid Earth.

All kinds of here-to theorized/unknown and interesting s#$t happens on Earth for half a billion years or so...

About 3.5Ga (About half a billion years after the interesting s#$t.) we start to see what scientists believe are the first microbes, blah blah blah photosynthesis and life colonizes the planet blah blah blah.

Starting around 2Ga:

eukaryotes,
sponges,
worms,
fish,
amphibians,
reptiles,
mammals,
primates,
great apes!

And I'll just twist Born_again's post to reverse the order.

Born_again basically wrote:One of my claims to fame is that one of my ancestral grandfathers can be definitively traced back to about 75,000+/- ya, and my ancestral grandmother all the way back to 140,000ya!! I believe her name was Eve.

It wasn't all easy-times though -- tragedy struck about 70,000ya when we had a huge volcanic eruption took place out east , which reduced the word's population to about 15,000 individuals.

My ancestors were big on the travelling thang, so after a few cycles around Asia and Europe I ended up in Canada.

And started wheeling, dealing and settling in BC like crazed maniacs, the gold rush,

We were born,

blah blah blah the internet,

computer, phoneline/Ethernet Cord, telecommunications cables, server, telecommunications cables, server, telecommunications cables, server, telecommunications cables (give or take a few)

Castanet's server,

Now you're reading this.... and that's how I believe we got here.

Not the End
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
katzenjammer
Board Meister

Post by katzenjammer »

Where else could you be except here? (and now)
:sunshine:
Happiness never decreases by being shared. ...
Bejvas
Lord of the Board

Post by Bejvas »

"Just because you're angry, it doesn't mean you have the right to be cruel."
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Nothingistruth wrote:God has the answer:

http://celobox.googlepages.com/god.html

Good job he wasn't using MS-DOS! LOL he wouldn't have got past day 1.
Gigamortis
Fledgling

Post by Gigamortis »

I'm honestly stuck in limbo on this one. I was raised a christian and I do share a lot of "christian" values, however I don't believe in pushing my faith on other people. I'm also pro-choice and all for gay marriage, I guess I believe in more of a metaphorical god that is the embodiment of love, patience, kindness and most of all non judgment. But I don't want to throw science to the scrap heap, there is a lot of evidence pointing towards evolution so I'm not willing to rule that out.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity" -Edgar Allen Poe
TheGnome
Fledgling

Post by TheGnome »

I got here the same ways as everyone else, going to go thru life like everyone one else and then die. The question is what to do after I'm dead, I think I want a vacation!
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Theories abound, but we don't KNOW how we got here and we don't KNOW if we go anywhere after this life, however we do KNOW that we are here now. What we do or do not do has the power to affect others (and ourselves) in a positive or negative way.

Gnome...no vacation for you. You are going to end up as a landing spot for birds in someone's garden!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

I believe we evolved from apes. Another theory states that a raven found a clamshell on shore and he opened it and out popped 3 small men.
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

I believe we evolved - and still are....spiritually and physically....I believe bodies are changing still and I believe in reincarnation
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re:

Post by eyepop »

Piecemaker wrote:Theories abound, but we don't KNOW how we got here and we don't KNOW if we go anywhere after this life, however we do KNOW that we are here now.

we don't even know where 'here' is.

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end?"
Gospel of Thomas 18
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Post by BVulgaris »

here is:

On a spinning ball of mass with multiple conductive equipotentials that is continuously being bombarded with high energy particles from stars throughout the universe. These stars are seen in general as the birth place of all the planets, and that a great big mother of a star (incredibly loose interpretation), or energy density, gave birth to the other mothers of planets or stars so that we are all eachother's brother/sister of our mother's mother....... or something like that... we're kinda the bug feeding on the toe jam of a deligate in a giant convention hall.... but there is a possibility that we can use the generated hot air to propel us to more exotic toe jams in the room.

wow... i dont think im hungry for dinner any more....
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

BVulgaris wrote:here is:

On a spinning ball of mass with multiple conductive equipotentials that is continuously being bombarded with high energy particles from stars throughout the universe. These stars are seen in general as the birth place of all the planets, and that a great big mother of a star (incredibly loose interpretation), or energy density, gave birth to the other mothers of planets or stars so that we are all eachother's brother/sister of our mother's mother....... or something like that... we're kinda the bug feeding on the toe jam of a deligate in a giant convention hall.... but there is a possibility that we can use the generated hot air to propel us to more exotic toe jams in the room.

wow... i dont think im hungry for dinner any more....

Well you ruined my appetite, but I personally place your explanation in second place right behind hellomynameis:

Hellomynameis wrote:I'll sum it up rly quick, k?

For an unknown reason, around 14.5Ga, the universe came into existence, fundamental particles rapidly expanded and cooled until they could form hydrogen, blah blah blah, stars and supernovae, mix in blender and repeat, blah blah blah all the elements pour out, more stars and galaxies, angular momentum + accretion gets you some solid Earth.

All kinds of here-to theorized/unknown and interesting s#$t happens on Earth for half a billion years or so...

About 3.5Ga (About half a billion years after the interesting s#$t.) we start to see what scientists believe are the first microbes, blah blah blah photosynthesis and life colonizes the planet blah blah blah.

Starting around 2Ga:

eukaryotes,
sponges,
worms,
fish,
amphibians,
reptiles,
mammals,
primates,
great apes!

And I'll just twist Born_again's post to reverse the order.

Born_again basically wrote:One of my claims to fame is that one of my ancestral grandfathers can be definitively traced back to about 75,000+/- ya, and my ancestral grandmother all the way back to 140,000ya!! I believe her name was Eve.

It wasn't all easy-times though -- tragedy struck about 70,000ya when we had a huge volcanic eruption took place out east , which reduced the word's population to about 15,000 individuals.

My ancestors were big on the travelling thang, so after a few cycles around Asia and Europe I ended up in Canada.

And started wheeling, dealing and settling in BC like crazed maniacs, the gold rush,

We were born,

blah blah blah the internet,

computer, phoneline/Ethernet Cord, telecommunications cables, server, telecommunications cables, server, telecommunications cables, server, telecommunications cables (give or take a few)

Castanet's server,

Now you're reading this.... and that's how I believe we got here.

Not the End
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Post by BVulgaris »

lol, i'll try better next time ;)
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

One of my oldest ancestors is a fish...possibly even just an amoeba.
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Post by BVulgaris »

In the book "Life Evolving", the author talks about some very intersting experiments and data collected over a kind of "space goo". Apparently very basic organic molecules do exist in the dust clouds of outerspace, and it is possible for these materials to hitch a ride in the crevace of a meteor asteroid etc. He then postulates that it may be possible to conduct an experiment to test whether life came from outerspace first, then started reacting favorably once deposited on the earth.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=FA4G8e8 ... q=&f=false

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”