How did we get here ?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
dogman
Fledgling

Re: How did we get here ?

Post by dogman »

Al Czervic wrote:Adam & Eve ? Did we evolve from primates as Darwin suggests? Populated by Aliens ? or ?

Please no debate or ridicule or attacks I am legitimately interested to hear people’s personal beliefs as to where we came from.

For the purpose of this thread there is no right or wrong I am just very curious to hear what everyone has to say.

Many thx in advance.

Some food for thought that might help you with your question.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 234161611#
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Post by BVulgaris »

i have basic issues with some one using training as a journalist or a lawyer to determine something.

The attempt into creation of amino acids for life dont take into account the formations that are occuring in space. I highly suggest reading the book "Life Evolving" By Christian De Duve. On the topic of seeding from outerspace. There is more evidence for this theory than the others.

There is also no evidence of a common ancestor... but why would there have to be? If there was a seeding effect happening from organic chemicals being picked up and collected in the crevaces of various space rocks hitting earth, there is a great chance there would be an initial state of biodiversity. Not just one organism. We do find some amazing forms of life called extremophiles that can fit this description. Of course, our limmited view (much like a 2d organism vs a 3d organism) we cannot know for sure without vast amounts of long term research.

the commentary on the clock analogy to the boom of the precambrian point to a similar argument about how bacteria will grow exponentially in a petri-dish and at the last second there seems to be an explosion of population and then quickly dies out as the food source depletes. again, your belief of this is taken on faith.

Whats funny is that people are taking some of the more strict interpretations of darwin's theory and refuse to addressed the now evolved view among serious biologists and astrophysicists. Again, due to lack of research on the topic i dont think we will fully know all the variables as this research is really a living theory. We have no definitive proof to say one way or the other.

now on the topic of how the universe was born.... there is so much less proof on this, though we have an incredible model through quantum mechanics etc., that you would almost have to base your idea of this on faith.

This argument line is very similar to the arguments placed towards "what the bleep do we know?" and it's message. Because we dont know about the whole, we can assume so long as it fits the scraps we do know.

For me the idea of multiple universes and "tuning" has more to do with the issues that arrise from quantum mechanics and the idea that there is no electrically active universe...... Meanwhile we are ignoring the proof of Birkeland currents. basically we are building empires of theory upon the ruins of other theories.... very little proof.

There are very serious questions in biology. The question of where mitochonria came from is a big one that allows for very active macroscopic organisms.

The topic of irreducable complexity is touched on. The problem here is the cells we see today are constructed from a successful replication of the instruction manual in the nucleus, the DNA. How this information evolved is still not very well known, but there is evidence that points towards a selection process in the DNA for junk and usefull dna sequences. (there is also an issue arising from aleals we think are not usefull but stay in the sequences).

Im not sure i would be able to touch on all the subjects properly in one post. But as it has been 2 thousand years ago and as it will probably be 2 thousand years in the future. There will be enough unknowns to create theories and theologies to solidify our beliefs that influence our interaction with the world around us.

For us humans there will always be a god/gods/entity of some sort from our point of perspective, because of the way we interact with the world, and the way the world interacts with us.

I will continue to learn and believe what i construct my faiths on. As will others. But as for this presentation..... informative in some parts... but essentially another product for money i suspect. Every religious foundation tells me to read, learn, discern and define, then make up my own mind on the subject.

Religion has more advice to humans about the way we treat others, and how to create meaningful debate in our social structures for the better. It is the traditionalists that are casting more and more smoke on the original lessons that are creating this "business of faith".

I dont mean this commentary as an offense to anyone here... it is my belief that i have faith in.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

BVulgaris, when you talk about seeding, isn't that the same thing as the Video is stating. The only difference I see is that they call the intelligence doing the seeding God, whereas you call it/them aliens, the FSM, or what have you?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Post by BVulgaris »

oh... i thought the movie was talking about the collection of organic matter that forms in outerspace

reference 1:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=136
"These materials, icy dust particles coated with water, methanol and carbon dioxide, may help explain the origin of icy planetoids like comets. Scientists believe these comets may have endowed Earth with some of its water and many of its biogenic, life-enabling materials. "

reference 2:
http://eands.caltech.edu/articles/LXX4/cosmic.html
"Organic, carbon-based molecules are synthesized as the dust flies through different chemical environments in space, like on the tails of comets. Scientists are very interested in these, as such molecules may have served as precursors to DNA, amino acids, and other biological molecules on Earth. "
dogman
Fledgling

Post by dogman »

[/quote]
I will continue to learn and believe what i construct my faiths on. As will others. But as for this presentation..... informative in some parts... but essentially another product for money i suspect. Every religious foundation tells me to read, learn, discern and define, then make up my own mind on the subject.

I agree with you and commend you for doing that.Everyone is at a different place on that journey and shouldn't just take my word for it,or just take the word of BVulgaris or even just the opinions on this video,or the book that you recommended.But everyone needs to take to heart all available information, to construct ones faith on.

Jesus said in Luke 11/9-10 "So I say to you:Ask and it will be given to you;seek and you will find;knock and the door will be opened to you.For everyone who asks receives;he who seeks finds;and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”