Back on-track thread... again

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Born_again
Guru

Back on-track thread... again

Post by Born_again »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFOqIYp6wMQ
February 16, 2010 on ABC News
From Huffington Post:

Joseph Reyes, who baptized his 3-year-old daughter without his ex-wife's permission, could see jail time after a Cook County judge granted his ex a temporary restraining order barring him from exposing the child to any religion other than Judaism.

With an already ugly divorce and custody battle turning even uglier, Reyes was arraigned Tuesday on charges he violated the temporary restraining order when he invited television crews along as he took his daughter Ela to Holy Name Cathedral on Jan. 17.

My opinion is that the whole extended family should be jailed for this child abuse. Why can't the parents just leave religion out of this child's life until she is old enough to choose for herself. If the courts want to be involved responsibly, they should order that the parents go to night school and do a critical thinking course.
Sick people! :purefury:
Last edited by Born_again on Mar 5th, 2010, 1:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Re: Dad Faces Jail For Taking Daughter To Church

Post by justmyopinion »

Born_again wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFOqIYp6wMQ
From Huffington Post:

Joseph Reyes, who baptized his 3-year-old daughter without his ex-wife's permission, could see jail time after a Cook County judge granted his ex a temporary restraining order barring him from exposing the child to any religion other than Judaism.

With an already ugly divorce and custody battle turning even uglier, Reyes was arraigned Tuesday on charges he violated the temporary restraining order when he invited television crews along as he took his daughter Ela to Holy Name Cathedral on Jan. 17.

My opinion is that the whole extended family should be jailed for this child abuse. Why can't the parents just leave religion out of this child's life until she is old enough to choose for herself. If the courts want to be involved responsibly, they should order that the parents go to night school and do a critical thinking course.
Sick people! :purefury:

Wow! I'd have to agree with you....and I think a little taste of different religions isn't bad for a child though, lets them see what's out there, but it should not be forced or used as a weapon between parents....
oldhippy
Board Meister

Post by oldhippy »

justmyopinion wrote:
Wow! I'd have to agree with you....and I think a little taste of different religions isn't bad for a child though, lets them see what's out there, but it should not be forced or used as a weapon between parents....

but it should not be forced or used as a weapon between parents....[/quote]

I remember back in the 40s and until the late 70s we had to go underground … in other words we had to go into the bush (wilderness) out of hearing distance and in secret ... so we could have our Native Ceremonies … without being condemned for our “SPIRITUAL” beliefs
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Could you please explain the pertinence of your post, oldhippy? I'm confused :eyeballspin:
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

oldhippy wrote:
I remember back in the 40s and until the late 70s we had to go underground … in other words we had to go into the bush (wilderness) out of hearing distance and in secret ... so we could have our Native Ceremonies … without being condemned for our “SPIRITUAL” beliefs

I understand what you mean and I think what happened was horribly wrong. What nation?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Born_again wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFOqIYp6wMQ
From Huffington Post:

[...], Reyes was arraigned Tuesday on charges he violated the temporary restraining order when he invited television crews along as he took his daughter Ela to Holy Name Cathedral on Jan. 17.

The golden trifecta:

* self-righteousness
* persecution complex
* beaming a demonstration of your conviction straight to Jesus, via a media outlet's satellite feed.

It would be funny if a child wasn't involved.

On a more important note, *bleep* is with restraining orders that help cubbyhole a child into a particular faith? Why would a parent pursue something like that? Why would the court let a parent pursue something like that?
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
intheknow
Board Meister

Post by intheknow »

If people were rational thinkers and not narrow minded religous freaks that we can be, we would all recognize the absoulute proven theory of Evolution
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Hey oldhippy
I witnessed something odd on remembrance day a few years ago. A Native guy I was working with in the bush inthe middle of nowhere, wandered off a bit at 11:00 AM and did some strange little ritual as I was doing my moment of silence and remembrance.

I asked him later what he was doing, and he said he was making an offering of tobacco and saying some prayers in remembrance of the the natives (his relatives included) that fought and died for this country.

I wasn't aware that any Natives had fought for this country, and he, being quite knowledgable, filled in a huge gap in my knowledge. He also told me about the Riel Rebellion and how his great great grandfather was Chief Poundmaker, and recommended some books so I could learn more.

What an eye-opener.

PS. For anybody that is the least bit interested, study the Riel Rebellion, you will see Canada in a completely different light.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

intheknow wrote:If people were rational thinkers and not narrow minded religous freaks that we can be, we would all recognize the absoulute proven theory of Evolution

I'm not even going to begin to explain all the things wrong with that statement. Suffice to say, that is the most unintelligent/unintelligible and naive post I have read in a long time.
oldhippy
Board Meister

Post by oldhippy »

Born_again wrote:Could you please explain the pertinence of your post, oldhippy? I'm confused :eyeballspin:

Sorry to have confused you ... I must have taken it for granted that everyone knew that besides being set on Reservations we were also taken away from our families and sent to Residential Schools.
... not only to have our Native language taken away ... but also our Native Spiritual Beliefs ... do not forget that we were called and treated as Savages when the Christians came ...

So to have the right and privilege to pray in our way ... we had to hide
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

Here is a great site telling the Untold Story of the Genocide of Aboriginal Peoples in Canada

http://www.hiddenfromhistory.org/
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

old-bushman wrote:Hey oldhippy
I witnessed something odd on remembrance day a few years ago. A Native guy I was working with in the bush inthe middle of nowhere, wandered off a bit at 11:00 AM and did some strange little ritual as I was doing my moment of silence and remembrance.

I asked him later what he was doing, and he said he was making an offering of tobacco and saying some prayers in remembrance of the the natives (his relatives included) that fought and died for this country.

I wasn't aware that any Natives had fought for this country, and he, being quite knowledgable, filled in a huge gap in my knowledge. He also told me about the Riel Rebellion and how his great great grandfather was Chief Poundmaker, and recommended some books so I could learn more.

What an eye-opener.

PS. For anybody that is the least bit interested, study the Riel Rebellion, you will see Canada in a completely different light.

During World War I (1914–18) and World War II (1939–45), thousands of Aboriginal men and women voluntarily enlisted in Canada’s armed forces. They served in units with other Canadians, fought in every Theatre in which Canadian forces took part, and more than 500 status Indian servicemen lost their lives on foreign battlefields. An estimated 800 men and women from First Nations in Saskatchewan served during the World Wars and in Korea. Although reliable statistics are not available, the official record lists more than 100 status Indians from Saskatchewan who served during World War I, including over half of the eligible adult males on the Cote Reserve. Overseas, Aboriginal soldiers were recognized as effective snipers and scouts, endowed with courage, stamina, and keen observation powers.

READ MORE:
http://www.esask.uregina.ca/entry/abori ... _wars.html
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

This is off-topic but here's something that really makes me annoyed.

Over 50% (I think it's 58%, don't quote me)of the reserves in Canada don't have proper drinking water. Yet clubs like Rotary brag about how they're sending X number of dollars overseas to some third world country to dig wells. Some reserves in Canada are nearly third world in their poverty. What ever happened to "Charity begins at home"?. Helping your own countryman isn't glamourous enough or what?
oldhippy
Board Meister

Post by oldhippy »

old-bushman wrote:Hey oldhippy

What an eye-opener.

Thank you very kindly for your post ... the schools only teach what they “do not” ... (want to hide) ... beside the Riel Rebellion ... did you know that when a Native went to war that he had to sign away his Native Right as an Indian ... there is a "hole in our" history about our Native people that our “Government is trying to hide...

... The past is History ... I and many others still have our Prayer Ceremonies in hiding ... it is time that it comes out into the open ... there just may be something to learn

... Many have had Spiritual Experiences ... each person have them in their own way... there is so much to learn from so many different cultures ... I only ask that you take any of the “Metaphors”
as just that ... something to try to live by ... or like ...

Spirit of Feelings: East ... a new born: an emotion is a Feeling without touching.
Spirit of Innocence: South ... the growing of a Child ... not knowing right from wrong until taught.
Spirit of Understanding: West ... The Youth:Thank you for what I have learned throughout the day.
Spirit of Wisdom: North ... Adult: To use our knowledge with wisdom.

Spirit of Mother Earth ... My Mother gave me life ... Mother Earth gives me life ... Mother Earth also represents the inner self.

Spirit of Father Sky ... Teaches us that within man there is women and that within women there is only the seed of man ... Father Sky also represents the outer self ... as those around us...

This is only part of My Spiritual Belief
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Natura dat unicuique quod sibi conveniens est

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”