Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Post by grammafreddy »

Saturday April 17, 2010
Mexico bishop blames priest child abuse on porn, TV
By Miguel Angel Gutierrez and Cyntia Barrera Diaz

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - A prominent Roman Catholic bishop in Mexico blamed eroticism on television and Internet pornography for child abuse by priests, in the latest incendiary comments on sex scandals in the church.

"With so much invasion of eroticism, sometimes it's not easy to stay celibate or to respect children," Bishop Felipe Arizmendi said during an annual meeting of Mexican bishops near Mexico City on Thursday.

"If on television and on the Internet and in so many media outlets there is pornography, it is very difficult to stay pure and chaste," said Arizmendi, an influential bishop from the colonial town of San Cristobal de las Casas in southern Mexico.

The timing of his comments comes as Pope Benedict turned 83 on Friday and the Catholic hierarchy has been rattled by revelations of sexual abuse scandals in parishes around the world.

It also follows several controversial comments made by Catholic clergy, including on Monday when the Vatican's secretary of state, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, said priest pedophilia was linked to homosexuality not celibacy.

"Many psychologists and psychiatrists have shown that there is no link between celibacy and pedophilia, but many others have shown, I have recently been told, that there is a relationship between homosexuality and pedophilia," he told a news conference in Santiago, Chile.

Mexico is home to the world's second-largest Roman Catholic population after Brazil and the country has been rocked by its own share of allegations against Catholic leaders.

Last year, the pope ordered an inquiry into the powerful Legionaries of Christ order whose Mexican founder, Marcial Maciel, was discovered to be a sexual molester of young boys.

Maciel, who died in 2008, also was known to have fathered at least one child with a mistress.

The Vatican was hit by another embarrassing revelation this week when a website posted a letter by a senior cardinal heartily congratulating a French bishop in 2001 for not denouncing a self-confessed abusive priest to the police.

Copyright © 2010 Reuters


Hello? Hello? These are adult men - they know how to turn off the TV and click away from the Internet porn sites, fercrissakes.

I have said for many years the Catholic Church is a haven for gays and lesbians. I firmly believe it has always been.

I have nothing against gays and lesbians at all. What I have huge issues with is hiding it under the churches' robes and playing with innocent, trusting children - then lying about it, cloaking it in secrecy for centuries and making feeble excuses.

The Catholic Church needs an enormous shake-down and a lot of clergy (nuns included) need to face the inside of a jail cell in some of the hell holes of the world - for the rest of their lives. It is well and truly past time to go after these people. Ditto that for any other religious organization who abuses children.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19754
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 10:53 am

Re: Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Post by JLives »

Why the comparison betweeon homosexuality and pedophilia?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16288
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am

Re: Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Post by Nebula »

jennylives wrote:Why the comparison betweeon homosexuality and pedophilia?

Agreed.

"The Catholic church is a haven for gays and lesbians." Good! It's about bloody time! (Even though that statement is completely false.

Sheesh. Amazing how some people can show prejudice without even knowing it.
Last edited by Nebula on Apr 17th, 2010, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Post by NAB »

Actually, didn't someone high up in the Catholic Church itself recently make such an assertion?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Post by grammafreddy »

jennylives wrote:Why the comparison betweeon homosexuality and pedophilia?


What makes you think it's a "comparison"?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Post by grammafreddy »

Nebula wrote:
jennylives wrote:Why the comparison betweeon homosexuality and pedophilia?

Agreed.

"The Catholic church is a haven for gays and lesbians." Good! It's about bloody time! (Even though that statement is completely false.

Sheesh. Amazing how some people can show prejudice without even knowing it.



What kind of prejudice are you perceiving, Nebula?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16288
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am

Re: Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Post by Nebula »

grammafreddy wrote:I have said for many years the Catholic Church is a haven for gays and lesbians. I firmly believe it has always been.

The derogatory statement above is pure prejudice. Why bring gays and lesbians into the equation at all? Why mention them?

I have nothing against gays and lesbians at all. What I have huge issues with is hiding it under the churches' robes and playing with innocent, trusting children - then lying about it, cloaking it in secrecy for centuries and making feeble excuses.

Hiding it? Hiding it?

Clearly you mean hiding gays and lesbians. Why do you bring that up? Being gay or lesbian has NOTHING to do with pedophilia. Nothing.

I noticed you didn't mention heterosexual adults in your statements. Why not?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Post by NAB »

Nebula wrote:...Being gay or lesbian has NOTHING to do with pedophilia. Nothing.


An interesting assertion Nebula. Care to cite your reference(s), or is it just your opinion?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16288
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am

Re: Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Post by Nebula »

NAB wrote:
Nebula wrote:...Being gay or lesbian has NOTHING to do with pedophilia. Nothing.


An interesting assertion Nebula. Care to cite your reference(s), or is it just your opinion?

Nab

You gearing up for another gay bashing fight?

Let me ask you this Nab: have you ever heard of pedophiles that are into little girls? I'm sure you have. There's lots of them. If you believe being gay has something to do with pedophilia, then surely being heterosexual has something to do with pedophilia, since there are heterosexual men into young girls. See the connection?

Some people just can't think past their prejudice. They connect homosexuality with pedophilia, but they cannot connect heterosexuality with pedophilia. Well, realistically they shouldn't... because there is no connection with any sexual orientation.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Post by NAB »

Nebula wrote:
NAB wrote:
Nebula wrote:...Being gay or lesbian has NOTHING to do with pedophilia. Nothing.


An interesting assertion Nebula. Care to cite your reference(s), or is it just your opinion?

Nab

You gearing up for another gay bashing fight?

Let me ask you this Nab: have you ever heard of pedophiles that are into little girls? I'm sure you have. There's lots of them. If you believe being gay has something to do with pedophilia, then surely being heterosexual has something to do with pedophilia, since there are heterosexual men into young girls. See the connection?

Some people just can't think past their prejudice. They connect homosexuality with pedophilia, but they cannot connect heterosexuality with pedophilia. Well, realistically they shouldn't... because there is no connection with any sexual orientation.


it's not a "fight" Nebula, it's a discussion (unless you wish to make it a fight, but that's your choice not mine).

There is all sorts of reference on this topic if you choose to look at it with an open mind, but somehow I don't perceive yours is particularly open and unbiased. To immediately play the "prejudice" card every time someone raises the topic is, to me, pretty narrow minded, ...not to mention perhaps overly defensive in some way, whatever the motive.

Try this link for a starter..

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articl ... m0011.html

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16288
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am

Re: Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Post by Nebula »

Sorry, I won't be reading any articles on a Catholic website.

How about you check this one out:

http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/facts_molestation.html

And it's not much of a discussion. Your misguided disdain for gays and lesbians has been well documented on these forums.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Post by NAB »

Nebula wrote:Sorry, I won't be reading any articles on a Catholic website.


Well, I guess that comment just about says it all about you huh?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16288
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am

Re: Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Post by Nebula »

NAB wrote:
Nebula wrote:Sorry, I won't be reading any articles on a Catholic website.


Well, I guess that comment just about says it all about you huh?

Nab

If you say so. Long live discrimination, I guess.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
User avatar
ILBT uh-huh
Guru
Posts: 5900
Joined: Nov 30th, 2009, 8:01 pm

Re: Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Long post Nebula

I didn't read it all for two reasons. It was a very long qoute, and I find this topic rather disturbing.
I think i will leave this to you and your "special" friend to fight out.

Next thread.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Catholic Pedophilia in Mexico, too

Post by NAB »

Nebula wrote:
NAB wrote:
Nebula wrote:Sorry, I won't be reading any articles on a Catholic website.


Well, I guess that comment just about says it all about you huh?

Nab

If you say so. Long live discrimination, I guess.


IMO this thread isn't about discrimination or prejudice against or for homosexuals one way or the other. It's about exploring the facts behind paedophila, and relating it to the Catholic churches problems. BTW, I am not Catholic, nor have I ever been a Catholic, or even particularly religious for that matter. I choose however to try and understand what makes paedophiles tick whatever their backgound or affiliation, for personally I find those who get involved in paedophelia particularly abhorrent individuals, no matter be they homosexuals or heterosexuals, religious or non-religious, Catholic or other.

And if a certain percentage of homosexuals are paedophiles, then I will bash them because they are paedophiles, not because they are homosexual, Catholic priest or otherwise.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”