Stephen Hawking's warning

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
zzontar
Guru

Stephen Hawking's warning

Post by zzontar »

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/1004 ... hone_calls

This will be a philosophical question and not a debate over whether aliens exist or not.

If we are and have been visited by aliens, either to study the Earth being so diverse, or as a refueling station or oasis, at what point do you think an alien race would put an end to us destroying the planet? Hawking said aliens visiting us would be like when Columbus ran into the North American natives.

If we had to cross a desert periodically and there was an oasis half way through, but the people living on it kept dumping their waste into it, slowly making our only supply of water tainted even though they had the education to know better, what would we do?

As some of us (unfortunately not enough) feel responsible for our planet, wouldn't that extend to a universal scale?
Last edited by zzontar on May 6th, 2010, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Stephen Hawking's warning

Post by steven lloyd »

zzontar wrote:If we had to cross a desert periodically and there was an oasis half way through, but the people living on it kept dumping their waste into it, slowly making our only supply of water tainted even though they had the education to know better, what would we do?

No worries. They’ll probably be looking for oil and methane and offer to do the job for us while wondering why we’re being such pansies about it.

:sillygrin:

p.s. That’s “Stephen” Hawking
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

You're right Stephen... I mean Steven... brain fart, but it's all better now. Maybe the question was too deep, so here's one that might generate more response... who do you think aliens would choose as the victor in "Dancing with the stars?" :127:
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

zzontar wrote:You're right Stephen... I mean Steven... brain fart, but it's all better now. Maybe the question was too deep, so here's one that might generate more response... who do you think aliens would choose as the victor in "Dancing with the stars?" :127:

They would probably have more brains than to watch that drivel.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
bcbudrockz69
Übergod

Post by bcbudrockz69 »

i think aliens came longtime ago saw we needed few thousand years to get it together and wont be back till we have ended war and gotten things right
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

bcbudrockz69 wrote:i think aliens came longtime ago saw we needed few thousand years to get it together and wont be back till we have ended war and gotten things right

Perhaps the planet earth is just some alien kid's school science project???
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I would be curious to see if other intelligent lifeforms had a monetary system. I'm going with probably not.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

jennylives wrote:I would be curious to see if other intelligent lifeforms had a monetary system. I'm going with probably not.

If we’re talking about lifeforms / species that are capable of intergalactic travel I completely agree with you jenny. While individualistic competitiveness can lead and has lead to efficiencies, the next step in social and technological evolution will require the ability of a species to adopt and adjust to more cooperative models. With star-travelling beings, competitive paradigms would have served their purpose through their history but they would have long since evolved past that and learned to work collectively toward common end goals. Species that failed to make that transition from individualistic models either became extinct or regressed to their primitive form.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Universally speaking, the Earth is way out in the boonies, so I'm guessing there would have to be a purpose to any race that comes here. Seeing as the Earth is very rich in many aspects, especially in comparison with a lot of planets, would it be in their best interest to see this destroyed anymore than it would be in our best interest to watch the rainforests disappear?

Our rainforests are disappearing, the Atlantic has the oil spill, the Pacific has that 200 million ton island of garbage that's growing rapidly, new food-borne diseases are springing up more often, the population keeps growing, and so on. With our intelligence we can project that at this rate, we will kill the planet that supports us, so to a more intelligent race it would be even more obvious.

I honestly can't see an intelligent race letting the planet get to a point where it is much more worthless to them as well,so the intelligent thing to do would be to salvage it while it's still salvageable. Seeing as we have the education and knowledge to know what we're doing to the planet, yet we keep doing it, the options would probably be to eliminate or control us. It's nothing that strange really, it just seems like the logical thing to happen.
bcbudrockz69
Übergod

Post by bcbudrockz69 »

un the quantum world , a particle can be in 2 diffrent places at the same time man lol
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

He's right, you better not try to communicate with aliens... you'll end up in a wheel chair.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

bcbudrockz69 wrote:un the quantum world , a particle can be in 2 diffrent places at the same time man lol

only if you're smoking the real good stuff :136:
bcbudrockz69
Übergod

Post by bcbudrockz69 »

steven lloyd wrote:
bcbudrockz69 wrote:un the quantum world , a particle can be in 2 diffrent places at the same time man lol

only if you're smoking the real good stuff :136:

"

guess you have no clue about quantum physics huh?

Yes. According to the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics, if one attempts to observe the path of a particle, it will instantly quantum leap into as many positions as possible: In this case, an infinite amount of positions. Thus a probabillity of positions can allow a particle to inhabit more than one space. In effect, the parallel universe theory suggests that only one single particle is shared among an infinite amount of universes - thus one particle, many positions!

The tiny quantum world is different: particles are waves (and vice versa), and quantum systems remain in state of multiple possibilities until they are measured -- which amounts to an intrusion by an observer [Paris Hilton!] from the big world -- and forced to choose: the exact position or momentum of an electron, say."

http://twistedphysics.typepad.com/cockt ... -has-.html
mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

Site your source please. This I gotta see for myself.
Lack of objection is implied consent.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

zzontar wrote:Seeing as we have the education and knowledge to know what we're doing to the planet, yet we keep doing it, the options would probably be to eliminate or control us. It's nothing that strange really, it just seems like the logical thing to happen.

Very well said ZZ
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”