Letters to the editor section and religious views

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
CanuckinOZ
Fledgling

Letters to the editor section and religious views

Post by CanuckinOZ »

I regularly get pamphlets in my mailbox, JWs knocking on my door at 8:30 on a Saturday morning and now I have to read about bible thumpers trying to force their views down my throat in the letters to the editor?!

Is this not information that would be better served in their monthly news letter rather than teaching them as youths that it is okay to preach theirs views even when it isn't wanted.

Don't get me wrong I am a Christian myself, but I discovered a long time ago that I don't need to give 10% of my gross income to some fat guy to preach to me for an hour or 2 every Sunday and then take my hard earned income and to go and buy a new car or a "desperately needed" state of the art sound system for their church.

Really, sitting around every week praying for bad things to happen to "sinful" events? What happened to CSA (Christian Snowboarding Association) and other youth groups that organised fun events for youths to participate in such as KGB runs and scavenger hunts, not sitting around putting curses on whatever doesn't seem to agree to their belief system.

But thats ok, brainwash those budding minds before they are able to form their own opinion as to what they personally think is morally right and wrong.

At the end of the day a moral religious debate doesn't belong in the letter to the editor section, it is reserved for the Paris wannabe that wants to complain about how her dressed up rat wasn't allowed in the mall.

There is a section of this forum for you to argue your meaningless points, why don't you keep them in there, or are you worried no one would read your dribble.
Last edited by CanuckinOZ on May 6th, 2010, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: letters to the editor section and religous views

Post by Glacier »

Ya, let's ban all letters to the editor that are not warm and fuzzy politically correct opinions .
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
CanuckinOZ
Fledgling

Post by CanuckinOZ »

not saying people aren't entitled to have a whinge, however spouting their religious views when there are already so many other mediums for them to freely do so is a bit crass, not to forget the fact that some how in their warped vision, they are bragging that their prayers single handedly had an earthly affect on the outcome of an event, in this case two events is as far fetched as it gets
new in town
Übergod

Post by new in town »

CanuckinOZ wrote:
At the end of the day a moral religious debate doesn't belong in the letter to the editor section, it is reserved for the Paris wannabe that wants to complain about how her dressed up rat wasn't allowed in the mall.

Funniest thing I read in a while, I thank you.
"War is the total failure of the human spirit" - Robert Fisk
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Well, the entertaining value of these letters is outstanding. Keep them coming, I like reading letters from nutjobs.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Nutjobs? Unfortunately these people are more than nutjobs. Those kids go to school with our kids - and they are running round the public school system recruiting new disciples for their causes. They are dangerous people. My cousin's daughter was one of the ones swayed into it. Impressionable young minds do not understand. They tried to get my daughter, too, when she was about 16, but I caught on to it early enough and had a major battle with the church leaders - who told me that my daughter did not have to listen to me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

grammafreddy wrote:Nutjobs? Unfortunately these people are more than nutjobs. Those kids go to school with our kids - and they are running round the public school system recruiting new disciples for their causes. They are dangerous people. My cousin's daughter was one of the ones swayed into it. Impressionable young minds do not understand. They tried to get my daughter, too, when she was about 16, but I caught on to it early enough and had a major battle with the church leaders - who told me that my daughter did not have to listen to me.

Uh, how is that different from school? As parents we are told we have no rights, period. Remember that guy in Quebec who got sued by his own daughter? And had to pay for it?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

They are dangerous people
Drug dealers and robbers with guns are dangerous people. People spreading the word of the bible are quite harmless.

I regularly get pamphlets in my mailbox, JWs knocking on my door at 8:30 on a Saturday morning and now I have to read about bible thumpers trying to force their views down my throat in the letters to the editor?!

No, you do not have to read it any more than you have to read the pamphlets that come to your door.

Is this not information that would be better served in their monthly news letter rather than teaching them as youths that it is okay to preach theirs views even when it isn't wanted.

Depends on who you talk to> You could say they are teaching youth about freedom of speech, too.

Don't get me wrong I am a Christian myself, but I discovered a long time ago that I don't need to give 10% of my gross income to some fat guy to preach to me for an hour or 2 every Sunday and then take my hard earned income and to go and buy a new car or a "desperately needed" state of the art sound system for their church.

People have different views in tithing. Not all preachers are fat. Not all churches fundraise for new sound systems.

Really, sitting around every week praying for bad things to happen to "sinful" events? What happened to CSA (Christian Snowboarding Association) and other youth groups that organised fun events for youths to participate in such as KGB runs and scavenger hunts, not sitting around putting curses on whatever doesn't seem to agree to their belief system.

Church youth groups are still running programs. They don't sit around putting curses on others who don't agree with their belief system though, they might pray for them to find what they have found for themselves. Harmless really, and has actually proven to be quite helpful for many. I'll take a preacher over a drug dealer to influence my kids any day.

But thats ok, brainwash those budding minds before they are able to form their own opinion as to what they personally think is morally right and wrong.

Oh, they will form their own opinions with information they get from home, the playground, school, church, the community, and friends. I have been to several different churches, and went to Sunday school from about 7 years old, and was never brainwashed.

At the end of the day, you don't have to read it. It is not reserved for non-religious topics.

There is a section of this forum for you to argue your meaningless points, why don't you keep them in there, or are you worried no one would read your dribble.

Why is your post not in that section?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

grammafreddy wrote:They are dangerous people. My cousin's daughter was one of the ones swayed into it. Impressionable young minds do not understand. They tried to get my daughter, too, when she was about 16, but I caught on to it early enough and had a major battle with the church leaders - who told me that my daughter did not have to listen to me.

I see no reason to get all bent out of shape. So, some people believe in Jesus and oompa loompas. There are worse things in life.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

CanuckinOZ wrote:not saying people aren't entitled to have a whinge, however spouting their religious views when there are already so many other mediums for them to freely do so is a bit crass, not to forget the fact that some how in their warped vision, they are bragging that their prayers single handedly had an earthly affect on the outcome of an event, in this case two events is as far fetched as it gets

Come to think of it, you don't see too many letters or weekly columns with a New Age, Muslim, JW, or Wiccan perspective. Why are weekly religious views always from a Christian perspective? Can you imagine the uproar from the "Christian" community if letters by extremists from any of the other groups were submitted? How many advertising dollars might be threatened to be pulled?
The irony of the "nutjob" letters is that usually their intent is to draw people in, but instead they repel people away, and when mocked they only see themselves as being persecuted for their God.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions..." -Thomas Jefferson
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

In case you haven't noticed the letter section of Castanet only publishes letters of extreme nature, whether they are religious, political or social. It's done to get you all riled up about nothing.
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

I absolutely love this!!!

All the explanation needed to show how the true message of Christ our saviour has been lost to the corruptions of irresponsible, unchecked human free will in the last 2000 years, all encapsulated on one page of Castanet internet forums...

Even the Muslims get mentioned...

LOVE IT!!!

PS.

Good reasoned post Advocate.

And Mr. Danksworth considering your signature, we can postpone our "meeting" till hunting season...
Infinite rider on the big dogma...
SHOZDIJIJI
Board Meister

Post by SHOZDIJIJI »

Next time the JW's knocking on your door ask them what they know about Buddhism and see how fast they leave .It works for me . I am Buddhist and it's my belief that if you are going to preach religion you should have an understanding of all religions .
:sunshine:
After being asked if he would consider politic's the smart man replied " No the smart people have the Politicians working for them."
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Captain Awesome wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:They are dangerous people. My cousin's daughter was one of the ones swayed into it. Impressionable young minds do not understand. They tried to get my daughter, too, when she was about 16, but I caught on to it early enough and had a major battle with the church leaders - who told me that my daughter did not have to listen to me.

I see no reason to get all bent out of shape. So, some people believe in Jesus and oompa loompas. There are worse things in life.

Not many.

Oompa loompas are highly over rated.

I interpret from your post that you are a follower of one of the so-called christian cults. You have no problem with teaching your kids a christ-based jesus life style. But would you also be so supportive of a cult that did not teach the same? I highly doubt it.

What if your children went to school and became "friends" with a kid of another cult? What if that kid's "job" was to bring other children into their way of thinking? What if they convinced your child to participate in fun activities that were based on their teachings and beliefs? What if they encouraged your child to not tell you or to lie to you in order to go to those things? What if the kid from the other cult gave your child inducements to encourage them to attend these things? What would you do if your child became so convinced your teachings were wrong and refused to listen to you or to run away from home when you insisted they not have those new friends any longer? What if the other cult offered sanctuary from you and your sinful beliefs?

These questions (and many more) are all relevant. If they do not make you sit up and take notice, I feel sorry for your kids. I also feel sorry for you - you have already been brainwashed into believing in your cult - even though I think you are otherwise an intelligent, functioning human being.

Cults are only geared to one thing - power and greed. It has always - since the beginning of time - been a way to control the brains of the masses.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”