Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
John Right

Re: Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Post by John Right »

Let me help ya out and put it another way...

You are a person who absolutely believes that life came from nonlife, yet absolutely deny the possibility of anyone rising from the dead
User avatar
westsidebud
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3808
Joined: Jul 18th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Re: Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Post by westsidebud »

John Right wrote:Let me help ya out and put it another way...

You are a person who absolutely believes that life came from nonlife, yet absolutely deny the possibility of anyone rising from the dead

let me help you out, try reading darwins theory or go to a grave yard and tell us how many ppl rise from the dead, see yea in infinty
GO CANUCKS GO
User avatar
westsidebud
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3808
Joined: Jul 18th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Re: Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Post by westsidebud »

John Right wrote:Just have to add one more...

You won't bet $10 on the football game because a 50/50 chance isn't good enough, but you have no problem gambling with your life on the nearly impossible odds of a cell randomly generating from nothing.

:discodance:

sorry but if you came back to reality , you would discouver how life can start from organic compounds coming together , its been done in a lab
GO CANUCKS GO
John Right

Re: Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Post by John Right »

You know you're an atheist when...

You assert that there is no absolute categories of good and evil, that all morals are merely personal, social and evolutionary constructs but then you can still describe Christians and Christianity as absolutely immoral, repugnant and evil and a danger to humanity and not feel even a twinge of hypocrisy at the monumental illogic of your position.
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16288
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am

Re: Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Post by Nebula »

The OP's list was better.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Post by steven lloyd »

westsidebud wrote: sorry but if you came back to reality , you would discouver how life can start from organic compounds coming together , its been done in a lab

Sorry. Fail: “Frankenstein” is a fictional story WSB. No one in this world has created “life”
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16288
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am

Re: Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Post by Nebula »

I'm pretty sure my wife and I created two lives. Then again, maybe I should take a second look at the milkman...
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Post by steven lloyd »

John Right wrote:You know you're an atheist when...

… You develop premature arthritis in your knees from not bending them enough.
...“God” is something you say on your back, not on your knees.
… You found “The Passion of the Christ” closer to a homo-erotic sado-masochistic fantasy than to any sort of an inspirational film.
…every politician ignores you
… You’ve bookmarked a page of synonyms for the word “believe”.
...You demand that Christians study advanced evolutionary biology before making claims about natural selection. You then claim that their theological ideas, which you have never examined before, are pure nonsense
.. Missionaries who give up their personal comfort to aid starving, impoverished and persecuted third-world people are actually "corrupting ancient tribal cultures with western religious dogma", while you sit at home and complain about the price of KFC.
... You're convinced that people only believe in God because they're afraid of going to hell...despite the fact that if there is no God, then there's probably no hell either.
...You believe any person who writes a book critical of Christianity is doing it for "education" purposes. Conversely, you believe that any person who writes a book defending Christianity is "just in it to make money."
...You believe that extra drippy ice-cream is a logical proof against the existence of God, because an omniscient God would know how to stop the ice-cream from being extra drippy, an omnipotent God would have the ability to stop the ice-cream from being extra drippy, and by golly, an omnibenevolent God wouldn't want your ice-cream to be extra drippy.
...You can make the existence of pink unicorns the centre-piece of a philosophical critique.
...When you watch a punt returner run a 93 yard touchdown, you marvel at what evolution has done for the human race. But when someone gets cancer, you blame God for it
...You think you arrived at your position because you are a free-thinker who rationally weighed the evidence, and then freely chose atheism over theism. YET, you also believe that your thinking and actions are nothing more than the FIXED reactions of the atoms in your brain that are governed by the Laws of Chemistry and Physics.

:dyinglaughing:

:dyinglaughing: I gotta tell ya John, That’s some pretty good stuff there. I’m not a Christian but you’ve certainly identified some popular defences that people who fear the idea others believe in something they cannot use to ridicule and disparage. Might make some people around here think but I’d bet for the most part you’re just going to see some posters around these parts digging in their heels further and spitting back their exclusive perception of reasoned thinking. Still, there are a lot of posters here with varying degrees of open-mindedness and there might even be a chance that some good people might actually start to like you if you could give up your obsession with “homosexuality is an abomination” thing and started demonstrating some open-mindedness stuff yourself.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Post by steven lloyd »

Nebula wrote:I'm pretty sure my wife and I created two lives. Then again, maybe I should take a second look at the milkman...

:dyinglaughing: that *bleep*. 2 % ?
tsu
Fledgling
Posts: 210
Joined: Jul 9th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Re: Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Post by tsu »

steven lloyd wrote:
westsidebud wrote: sorry but if you came back to reality , you would discouver how life can start from organic compounds coming together , its been done in a lab

Sorry. Fail: “Frankenstein” is a fictional story WSB. No one in this world has created “life”


'Artificial life' breakthrough announced by scientists

Miller-Urey_experiment
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Post by steven lloyd »


In one experiment the scientists used synthetic life to create a copy of synthetic life (in the old days we just had sex except we skipped the synthetic part) and in the other they formed amino acids which are a component of life. Not quite the mark we’re looking for but I’m impressed.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Post by steven lloyd »

steven lloyd wrote:
John Right wrote:You know you're an atheist when...

… You develop premature arthritis in your knees from not bending them enough.
...“God” is something you say on your back, not on your knees.
… You found “The Passion of the Christ” closer to a homo-erotic sado-masochistic fantasy than to any sort of an inspirational film.
…every politician ignores you
… You’ve bookmarked a page of synonyms for the word “believe”.
...You demand that Christians study advanced evolutionary biology before making claims about natural selection. You then claim that their theological ideas, which you have never examined before, are pure nonsense
.. Missionaries who give up their personal comfort to aid starving, impoverished and persecuted third-world people are actually "corrupting ancient tribal cultures with western religious dogma", while you sit at home and complain about the price of KFC.
... You're convinced that people only believe in God because they're afraid of going to hell...despite the fact that if there is no God, then there's probably no hell either.
...You believe any person who writes a book critical of Christianity is doing it for "education" purposes. Conversely, you believe that any person who writes a book defending Christianity is "just in it to make money."
...You believe that extra drippy ice-cream is a logical proof against the existence of God, because an omniscient God would know how to stop the ice-cream from being extra drippy, an omnipotent God would have the ability to stop the ice-cream from being extra drippy, and by golly, an omnibenevolent God wouldn't want your ice-cream to be extra drippy.
...You can make the existence of pink unicorns the centre-piece of a philosophical critique.
...When you watch a punt returner run a 93 yard touchdown, you marvel at what evolution has done for the human race. But when someone gets cancer, you blame God for it
...You think you arrived at your position because you are a free-thinker who rationally weighed the evidence, and then freely chose atheism over theism. YET, you also believe that your thinking and actions are nothing more than the FIXED reactions of the atoms in your brain that are governed by the Laws of Chemistry and Physics.

:dyinglaughing:

:dyinglaughing: I gotta tell ya John, That’s some pretty good stuff there. I’m not a Christian but you’ve certainly identified some popular defences that people who fear the idea others believe in something they cannot use to ridicule and disparage. Might make some people around here think but I’d bet for the most part you’re just going to see some posters around these parts digging in their heels further and spitting back their exclusive perception of reasoned thinking. Still, there are a lot of posters here with varying degrees of open-mindedness and there might even be a chance that some good people might actually start to like you if you could give up your obsession with “homosexuality is an abomination” thing and started demonstrating some open-mindedness stuff yourself.


Oops. Sorry John. After observing the ignorance displayed by you on the “Gay Pride” thread I take all that back. As much as I agree with some of the points you made here it works both ways.

Yes, I know - you don’t understand that.
User avatar
coffeeFreak
Guru
Posts: 5302
Joined: Oct 22nd, 2009, 6:06 pm

Re: Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Post by coffeeFreak »

Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian

10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/1273/Top-Ten-Signs-Youre-a-Fundamentalist-Christian
John Right

Re: Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Post by John Right »

steven lloyd wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:
John Right wrote:You know you're an atheist when...

… You develop premature arthritis in your knees from not bending them enough.
...“God” is something you say on your back, not on your knees.
… You found “The Passion of the Christ” closer to a homo-erotic sado-masochistic fantasy than to any sort of an inspirational film.
…every politician ignores you
… You’ve bookmarked a page of synonyms for the word “believe”.
...You demand that Christians study advanced evolutionary biology before making claims about natural selection. You then claim that their theological ideas, which you have never examined before, are pure nonsense
.. Missionaries who give up their personal comfort to aid starving, impoverished and persecuted third-world people are actually "corrupting ancient tribal cultures with western religious dogma", while you sit at home and complain about the price of KFC.
... You're convinced that people only believe in God because they're afraid of going to hell...despite the fact that if there is no God, then there's probably no hell either.
...You believe any person who writes a book critical of Christianity is doing it for "education" purposes. Conversely, you believe that any person who writes a book defending Christianity is "just in it to make money."
...You believe that extra drippy ice-cream is a logical proof against the existence of God, because an omniscient God would know how to stop the ice-cream from being extra drippy, an omnipotent God would have the ability to stop the ice-cream from being extra drippy, and by golly, an omnibenevolent God wouldn't want your ice-cream to be extra drippy.
...You can make the existence of pink unicorns the centre-piece of a philosophical critique.
...When you watch a punt returner run a 93 yard touchdown, you marvel at what evolution has done for the human race. But when someone gets cancer, you blame God for it
...You think you arrived at your position because you are a free-thinker who rationally weighed the evidence, and then freely chose atheism over theism. YET, you also believe that your thinking and actions are nothing more than the FIXED reactions of the atoms in your brain that are governed by the Laws of Chemistry and Physics.

:dyinglaughing:

:dyinglaughing: I gotta tell ya John, That’s some pretty good stuff there. I’m not a Christian but you’ve certainly identified some popular defences that people who fear the idea others believe in something they cannot use to ridicule and disparage. Might make some people around here think but I’d bet for the most part you’re just going to see some posters around these parts digging in their heels further and spitting back their exclusive perception of reasoned thinking. Still, there are a lot of posters here with varying degrees of open-mindedness and there might even be a chance that some good people might actually start to like you if you could give up your obsession with “homosexuality is an abomination” thing and started demonstrating some open-mindedness stuff yourself.


Oops. Sorry John. After observing the ignorance displayed by you on the “Gay Pride” thread I take all that back. As much as I agree with some of the points you made here it works both ways.

Yes, I know - you don’t understand that.



Lloyd, you're such a stuff shirt. You need to take a few chill pills once in a while. My comments on both threads were all done as a joke. You can't possible think that I actually care about getting my views across to you or have a desire to influence your thinking! I pegged you and your buddies a long time ago and it's a complete waste of time trying to have a serious in depth, intelligent conversation with any of you. All you do is name call, vilify, excoriate and demonize anyone who expresses a view contrary to your own. You are all huge christianaphobes, anti-religious, secular bias, God hating bigots. So I figure if you can't beat em, join em and I do it strickly for kicks. You seem like a semi bright guy at times, but you are also somewhat naive.
User avatar
Born_again
Guru
Posts: 5352
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 2:21 am

Re: Fundamentalist Christian (List)

Post by Born_again »

Hey, Steven Lloyd!! How kindly are you taken by John Right's flattery?

John Right wrote:I pegged you and your buddies a long time ago


:coffeecanuck:

:130:
Image

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”