Soliciting Religion

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4284
Joined: Apr 12th, 2008, 7:54 am

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by Mr. Personality »

36Drew wrote:
JayByrd wrote:They've adapted their strategies a bit, bringing along children and pets when they go door to door. One pair of JW's showed knocked on my door the other day, an elderly man, and a young lady I'll simply describe as a hottie ;)


JW's are easy to deal with. Their doctrine states that only 144,000 believers will be chosen, saved, and admitted to heaven. Just ask them how many members worldwide they have (more than 7 million), and then insist that it sounds like heaven is indeed full. You're doing them a favour by abstaining from their doctrine.

I just noticed this. You're close, but totally missing the point of their belief. Thanks for playing.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by 36Drew »

Mr. Personality wrote:
36Drew wrote:
JayByrd wrote:They've adapted their strategies a bit, bringing along children and pets when they go door to door. One pair of JW's showed knocked on my door the other day, an elderly man, and a young lady I'll simply describe as a hottie ;)


JW's are easy to deal with. Their doctrine states that only 144,000 believers will be chosen, saved, and admitted to heaven. Just ask them how many members worldwide they have (more than 7 million), and then insist that it sounds like heaven is indeed full. You're doing them a favour by abstaining from their doctrine.

I just noticed this. You're close, but totally missing the point of their belief. Thanks for playing.


I think you've totally missed my point - I'd much rather they not knock on my door. I'd much rather they simply tip their hat and went about their merry way. Should they choose to knock, then they must be interested in my position and what I have to say.

Thanks for playing.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by steven lloyd »

36Drew wrote: JW's are easy to deal with. Their doctrine states that only 144,000 believers will be chosen, saved, and admitted to heaven. Just ask them how many members worldwide they have (more than 7 million), and then insist that it sounds like heaven is indeed full.

:137: Are they all gonna have to get on an island and start voting ???
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by 36Drew »

steven lloyd wrote:
36Drew wrote: JW's are easy to deal with. Their doctrine states that only 144,000 believers will be chosen, saved, and admitted to heaven. Just ask them how many members worldwide they have (more than 7 million), and then insist that it sounds like heaven is indeed full.

:137: Are they all gonna have to get on an island and start voting ???


Maybe... or all be bunk-buddies in a house with a new HoH every week. When they're down to the final 144,000.....
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
User avatar
Roadster
Time waster at work
Posts: 39664
Joined: Mar 21st, 2009, 8:57 am

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by Roadster »

I have signs that say No religion or sales of any kind at this door, on my front door. Then I have another that says the same at my side door, and then I have a third that says exactly the same again at my back door. It is funny watching them walk to each door only to realize they wasted their time, three times.

I have had signs up on my doors for many years because they usually end up coming around at supper time or when I am having a nap or something family like is going on like movie night. They (and sales people) have come as late as 7 or 8 at night before and that gets me. Now they never knock anymore cos,,, they can read too.
They only people who knock now is family or friends and that is the way it should be,,,or drop yer stuff in my little mail slot, if the cat dont get it and play with it then I might read it.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by 36Drew »

Roadster wrote:I have signs that say No religion or sales of any kind at this door, on my front door. Then I have another that says the same at my side door, and then I have a third that says exactly the same again at my back door. It is funny watching them walk to each door only to realize they wasted their time, three times.

I have had signs up on my doors for many years because they usually end up coming around at supper time or when I am having a nap or something family like is going on like movie night. They (and sales people) have come as late as 7 or 8 at night before and that gets me. Now they never knock anymore cos,,, they can read too.
They only people who knock now is family or friends and that is the way it should be,,,or drop yer stuff in my little mail slot, if the cat dont get it and play with it then I might read it.


My problem is not with religion - it's with the solicitation. I don't care if the person at the door is soliciting encyclopedias, knives, energy, or salvation. I'm just not interested. Don't knock on my door, don't annoy me on my phone. Leave me the eff alone while I'm in the confines of my sanctuary (home).

If you're foolish enough to knock on my door attempting to solicit your wares, then you will be subjected to my opinions. Don't like my opinion? Don't come to my house. If you think that I'm merely picking on those soliciting salvation, then I'll share a knife story.

About 5 years ago, I was having a BBQ with friends. Some youngish girl and a sleazy-looking guy showed up in the backyard (after knocking on the door) and absolutely insisted that I watch their presentation. One of the bold claims that they made was that the knives were made of the absolute strongest steel that man could make. I insisted that I had something that was "stronger" than their knives' steel, and that our entire group will gladly sit through their presentation as long as I get to demonstrate on each of their knives. They agreed.

They showed how well they could slice through a tomato, how finely they could make garnish from a carrot, and how sharp the knives would stay after slicing through metal (aluminium). They showed how their knives would flex instead of bending. They demonstrated how perfectly balanced the blades and handles were.

When they were done, the guy was more than anxious to see what I could come up with.

I pulled out a multi-tool that I always had in my pocket, flipped out the rather aggressive file that it had on it, and started grinding away at the razor sharp edge on the chef's knife.

By the time he got the knife out of my hand it was so dull it couldn't slice pudding.

Somebody should start a thread on door-to-door and phone solicitors. I have plenty of stories to share. ;)
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4284
Joined: Apr 12th, 2008, 7:54 am

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by Mr. Personality »

36Drew wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:
36Drew wrote:
JayByrd wrote:They've adapted their strategies a bit, bringing along children and pets when they go door to door. One pair of JW's showed knocked on my door the other day, an elderly man, and a young lady I'll simply describe as a hottie ;)


JW's are easy to deal with. Their doctrine states that only 144,000 believers will be chosen, saved, and admitted to heaven. Just ask them how many members worldwide they have (more than 7 million), and then insist that it sounds like heaven is indeed full. You're doing them a favour by abstaining from their doctrine.

I just noticed this. You're close, but totally missing the point of their belief. Thanks for playing.


I think you've totally missed my point - I'd much rather they not knock on my door. I'd much rather they simply tip their hat and went about their merry way. Should they choose to knock, then they must be interested in my position and what I have to say.

Thanks for playing.

I got that, and it's wonderful. It has nothing to do with the 144,000 though, which you've completely failed to comprehend before making your little post. According to JW doctrine, 144,000 will be/have been chosen to rule in heaven at God's side. Anyone else who accepts the word of God will live on a paradise earth for eternity, while everyone else will simply cease to exist. Therefor, you're doing no one any favours.

Thanks for playing.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by 36Drew »

Mr. Personality wrote:I got that, and it's wonderful. It has nothing to do with the 144,000 though, which you've completely failed to comprehend before making your little post. According to JW doctrine, 144,000 will be/have been chosen to rule in heaven at God's side. Anyone else who accepts the word of God will live on a paradise earth for eternity, while everyone else will simply cease to exist. Therefor, you're doing no one any favours.

Thanks for playing.


Hrmm - then you must be reading a different book.


Ecumenical Christianity believes that all Christians will be born-again - all who believe in Jesus will rise from death to salvation. One of the notable differences from Ecumenical Christianity that JW's believe is that only 144,000 will be born-again with the rest having an earthly hope of paradise on Earth.

Since the endgame goal is salvation and eternity in the presence of God, it would seem that one would be at odds with the other 5.9 million JW believers to reach that endgame.

Of course, all kidding aside - I'm not much big on prophets. Messiahs included.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4284
Joined: Apr 12th, 2008, 7:54 am

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by Mr. Personality »

36Drew wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:I got that, and it's wonderful. It has nothing to do with the 144,000 though, which you've completely failed to comprehend before making your little post. According to JW doctrine, 144,000 will be/have been chosen to rule in heaven at God's side. Anyone else who accepts the word of God will live on a paradise earth for eternity, while everyone else will simply cease to exist. Therefor, you're doing no one any favours.

Thanks for playing.


Hrmm - then you must be reading a different book.


Ecumenical Christianity believes that all Christians will be born-again - all who believe in Jesus will rise from death to salvation. One of the notable differences from Ecumenical Christianity that JW's believe is that only 144,000 will be born-again with the rest having an earthly hope of paradise on Earth.

Since the endgame goal is salvation and eternity in the presence of God, it would seem that one would be at odds with the other 5.9 million JW believers to reach that endgame.

Of course, all kidding aside - I'm not much big on prophets. Messiahs included.

Since, in the belief, God chooses who will sit in heaven and who will remain on earth, there is no "competition" in the first place. No JW is trying to become one of the 144,000. You are or you aren't.
User avatar
Roadster
Time waster at work
Posts: 39664
Joined: Mar 21st, 2009, 8:57 am

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by Roadster »

I am religious in my own way because after looking at most of them with an open mind I keep seeing things I dont like and it is hard to believe in one religion when they all have so many different interpretaions of what is right and what is wrong to believe in. Just give me my right to believe in what I can see that is right for me to believe in and dont knock at my door. I dont need it and I dont need someones knives at my door either. I will tell ya a story,,,
My parents hated answering the door to religious people when I was young so they used to send my sister to the door cos she could talk your ear off. They would tell her,,,"Dont tell them we are here, just make like you are all alone and have a great time with them. Ask all you want, just dont let em know we are here,,,ok" Then they would stand behind the door and laugh. She got good at wasting their time and they would eventually stop coming, I guess kids are not good enough to join their church or to be saved.
Also with phone solicitation, we usually answer the phone, realise it is a sale or survey and just leave the phone on the table and let em go on. Another one that is really funny is you answer it, let them go on a minute or so, then pass the phone to someone else, they realise it is a sale and they pass it on to someone else again and it goes on like that till the sales person realises it is usuless to keep trying.
I know everyone needs a job but licking envelopes might be just as effective and the postal people want to keep their jobs so why not use that system..... and quit bothering me.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
User avatar
Roadster
Time waster at work
Posts: 39664
Joined: Mar 21st, 2009, 8:57 am

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by Roadster »

Since, in the belief, God chooses who will sit in heaven and who will remain on earth, there is no "competition" in the first place. No JW is trying to become one of the 144,000. You are or you aren't.


Just a thought,,, what is the point of being in that religion if you might not be in that group going to heaven? Seems almost as wierd as some other religions saying if you blow up someone you will get 72 virgins up in heaven. BTW I hear they are running out of virgins so they are replacing them with blow up dolls, seems fitting dont it.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4284
Joined: Apr 12th, 2008, 7:54 am

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by Mr. Personality »

Roadster wrote:
Since, in the belief, God chooses who will sit in heaven and who will remain on earth, there is no "competition" in the first place. No JW is trying to become one of the 144,000. You are or you aren't.


Just a thought,,, what is the point of being in that religion if you might not be in that group going to heaven? Seems almost as wierd as some other religions saying if you blow up someone you will get 72 virgins up in heaven. BTW I hear they are running out of virgins so they are replacing them with blow up dolls, seems fitting dont it.

If you're not one of the 144,000, but still find favour in God's eyes, you will live an eternal existence on a paradise earth. Otherwise you will be hurled into a lake of fire and completely cease to exist. The goal isn't heaven, the goal is paradise. Heaven is a bonus for those 144,000.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by steven lloyd »

Mr. Personality wrote: The goal isn't heaven, the goal is paradise. Heaven is a bonus for those 144,000.

The good news is you can always get a tee time.
The bad news is you're teeing off at 9:00 am tomorrow.
User avatar
mtnman1
Guru
Posts: 5692
Joined: Jul 24th, 2009, 7:59 am

Re: Soliciting Religion

Post by mtnman1 »

steven lloyd wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote: The goal isn't heaven, the goal is paradise. Heaven is a bonus for those 144,000.

The good news is you can always get a tee time.
The bad news is you're teeing off at 9:00 am tomorrow.

:137: Ha, I got the 8:45.
Lack of objection is implied consent.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”