Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
my2rotties
Lord of the Board

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by my2rotties »

:sleepdeprived: seriously I'm going to bed. You are a troll, but that's okay, I forgive you. You should get sone sleep too, since you cannot seem to make any sense at this point. Try again later.
It doesn't matter how good looking he or she is, some where, someone is tired of his or her's crap.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

John Right wrote:Crass Nebula, you really don't have a very good opinion about Christians do you? I can almost gaurantee that there are no Christians hiding under your bed or in your closet with a large kitchen knife waiting to carve you up into little peices. They don't suck your blood and they don't turn into hairy dogs with big teeth either.

You seem to be confused about who the real bad guys are. It's more likely the mad men in Korea and Iran who are about to go nuclear and are dying to blow something up. Or the Muslim terrorists dressed as a business man sitting next to you on an airliner. The good Christian armies of the United States and Canada will do their best to protect you from harm, and young men and woman are dying every day towards that end. But for crying out loud, identify who your real enemy is and stop obsessing about a few bad apples.

Where do you get this stuff from/
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Nebula wrote:Where do you get this stuff from/

Whispers from God.....
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

36Drew wrote:
Nebula wrote:Where do you get this stuff from/

Whispers from God.....

:coffeecanuck:
Aren't people locked into a padded room when they're being told what to do by a mysterious voice?
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

WhatThe wrote:BTT,

When I think about the Opoint...
G. Bush jr has done many good things in Africa, his siding with the catholic church over the use of contraceptives However, leaves much to be desired.
They provide every form of aid except that. Giving out hoardes of condoms and education to go with them would go a long way in helping prevent the spread of AIDs and slow population growth giving a better standard of living.
But since that's not what god wants (according to the catholic church) people are Suffering and dieing needless deaths.
That don't jive with me and I consider it an immoral position to take.

I'm bumping this cause I think it's a perfect example of the OP.

Fluffy, Ive found your comments strikingly similar to my views. In what context do you view our place (humans and earth) in the universe?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

WhatThe wrote:Fluffy, Ive found your comments strikingly similar to my views. In what context do you view our place (humans and earth) in the universe?

Not an easy question to answer WhatThe, so much of my beliefs are based in feelings that are somewhat ethereal and fleeting that it's hard to get them into words. I'm comfortable with the concept of a higher power, although the thought of a conscious, all-powerful entity doesn't sit easily with me. The wizened old sage with the flowing white beard and the chorus of angles? Nope. I have searched widely and managed to cobble together something that is constantly under revision as I learn. Like life in general, my belief system is a work in progress.

Christianity has much to offer in the area of personal and inter-personal behavior. Being true to God and to one's self is a key in any system. It's unfortunate that this simple concept seems to be utterly incomprehensible to many Christians, as evidenced in this very thread. Buddhism and other eastern philosophies have lots to offer, as do some of the New Age thoughts like Gaia theory.

I don't think we are meant, or even capable, of understanding the true nature of God, but it's enough for me to know that there is something more than just me, and that I can tap into that force for help and direction, even just some simple peace of mind. Sounds a little Obiwan-Kenobi-ish I know, but it's working for me.
Heal the sick, feed the hungry, care for the weakest among us, and always pray in private.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

-fluffy- wrote: I don't think we are meant, or even capable, of understanding the true nature of God, but it's enough for me to know that there is something more than just me, and that I can tap into that force for help and direction, even just some simple peace of mind.

Perfect :smt023
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

True enough fluffy, the learning process over a life time.
I guess I was asking if you felt we are earth centric (the universe "revolves" around us so to speak) or just another speck in space?
my2rotties
Lord of the Board

Post by my2rotties »

All I can say is even if I wanted a faith to follow, I would shy away due to all the fear mongering. When I was a kid, we were taught to live and let live, and accept people for whom they were, even if they were different. This was in Catholic school.

It makes me sad that religion is so tainted and dirty, and so intolerant towards decent people that might be different. I believed in God when I was a child, but as I grew up, I started questioning things, according to how people acted in God's name and will.

I do some what believe in a higher power, the things I see in nature and the little miracles in life make me feel there must be something... however, religion has tainted anything I might believe in, since a true God would not like what humans do according to the bible. No God would want this, and I am sorry if I feel this way.

There are so many very extensive and intuitive posts on this thread and this one is simple... but it is from my heart.
It doesn't matter how good looking he or she is, some where, someone is tired of his or her's crap.
John Right

Post by John Right »

MadDog, sounds like you are a reasonable person when you want to be, I appreciate that. Keep searching, I think you're on the right track. Forget about organized religion, it's flawed. Christianity at it's core is about a personal relationship between you and God, not one else and that's all that matters.

However, the rest of you are beginning to bore me...again. I've grown weary of your repetitive, hypocratic physcho-babble. I'm going to sign off until the next time I feel like beating up on some atheists.

But I found it really interesting how it was the same rabid dogs from the Gay Pride thread that came after me this time as well. Obviously you all know each other and swarm like a pack of mad pitbulls all over Castanet looking for a way to hack away at the fabric of our society...pathetic!

But I really enjoyed this go round, I learned alot. Thanks and I will pray for you all.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

John Right wrote:MadDog, sounds like you are a reasonable person when you want to be, I appreciate that. Keep searching, I think you're on the right track. Forget about organized religion, it's flawed. Christianity at it's core is about a personal relationship between you and God, not one else and that's all that matters.

However, the rest of you are beginning to bore me...again. I've grown weary of your repetitive, hypocratic physcho-babble. I'm going to sign off until the next time I feel like beating up on some atheists.

But I found it really interesting how it was the same rabid dogs from the Gay Pride thread that came after me this time as well. Obviously you all know each other and swarm like a pack of mad pitbulls all over Castanet looking for a way to hack away at the fabric of our society...pathetic!

But I really enjoyed this go round, I learned alot. Thanks and I will pray for you all.

You are such a *bleep* disterber...OMG. You are a pathetic christian, and god should shun you from the big gates. You should be ashamed to call your self anything but a racist pig.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

John Right wrote:MadDog, sounds like you are a reasonable person when you want to be, I appreciate that. Keep searching, I think you're on the right track. Forget about organized religion, it's flawed. Christianity at it's core is about a personal relationship between you and God, not one else and that's all that matters.

Actually, almost everybody was saying, in very nice terms that they feel that there is something bigger out there.. "Beating up on some atheists": You've been rather cordial to me and I seem to be the atheist of the bunch, apparently there is a bunch of agnostics on here, so you've been beating up on some-what believers that aren't involved in an organization of sorts.
Anyways, good luck to you and see you on the next religion thread.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

John Right wrote:

lol. Boring comes from the boring mind. Hypocritical? Seriously I totally called you on that but no surprise , no response. You haven't beat anyone up except yourself. I know, it's hard to think for oneself.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

John Right wrote:John 3:16 (New International Version)

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

There is no caveat, no tricks or further rules. Just believe in him, that's it and have eternal life! Not too complicated is it? Don't get hung on all the noise out there about what you can and can't do.

That's really handy. Believe in Jesus and get eternal life regardless of how much a d!ck you are in real life. If there is a heaven and it's populated with souls like you, I want nothing to do with it.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
my2rotties
Lord of the Board

Post by my2rotties »

Being spiritual is still being connected with a higher power... people have been around for thousands of years and how long has Christianity been around? Did all the people that lived and died before Christianity came along go to hell too? Many long lost societies practiced religion prior to what we have now...

Did they all go to hell before the Christians came along and murdered and tortured people trying to show them God's way?

Whatever happens to me after I die does not matter... I live my life with morals, but have made mistakes...I don't need a bible or other people telling me what is right or wrong... it is self explanatory to know these things. Do I deserve to go to hell, because I turned my back on religion or God? I don't think so...I don't really think I turned my back on God, but I don't believe he/she/it is what the bible tells me... I respect others and try not to judge and I certainly do not cast people out for being different or being born a particular way...

I find organized religion to be a dictatorship of sorts... and I cannot follow this type of mentality...

I have my own belief system and it works for me... I believe in Karma the most and know it does come back at you ten fold if you do something bad... I don't know if it is God or not, but it is something. I have done the odd rotten thing and have looked over my shoulder knowing I am going to get what is coming to me... and I do in various ways...

I think life and death are a huge mystery and no matter what types of teachings there are, we will never really know what happens until death is upon us... If I died today, I don't feel I should deserve to go to hell, just because I am not a Christian. I am a decent and honest person that has made mistakes, and had terrible things happen to me in my life. However if it was not for my mistakes and the things I have endured, I would not be the person that I am today.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”