Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by 36Drew »

John Right wrote:John 3:16 (New International Version)

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

There is no caveat, no tricks or further rules. Just believe in him, that's it and have eternal life! Not too complicated is it? Don't get hung on all the noise out there about what you can and can't do.

You can still enjoy your life you know, I do.


But what if you're wrong? What if you've chosen the wrong messiah?
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
User avatar
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 25083
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by fluffy »

WhatThe wrote:I guess I was asking if you felt we are earth centric (the universe "revolves" around us so to speak) or just another speck in space?


I've never given that question much thought. If this higher power emanates from Earth as in Gaia theory, then that would make us just another speck in space, but separate and apart from the other specks. But if God is not Earthbound, then it would be a little arrogant to place us at the centre of it wouldn't it? Like I said, I've never given it much thought, seems a little out of range at this stage.
Denial is based on one very specific desire – for something to not be true.
User avatar
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 25083
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by fluffy »

36Drew wrote:
John Right wrote:John 3:16 (New International Version)

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

There is no caveat, no tricks or further rules. Just believe in him, that's it and have eternal life! Not too complicated is it? Don't get hung on all the noise out there about what you can and can't do.

You can still enjoy your life you know, I do.


But what if you're wrong? What if you've chosen the wrong messiah?


And what if this is as good as it gets?
Denial is based on one very specific desire – for something to not be true.
User avatar
strwbrrydvl
Guru
Posts: 9528
Joined: Jul 15th, 2008, 6:39 pm

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by strwbrrydvl »

-fluffy- wrote:
And what if this is as good as it gets?



If there really is a heaven this must be hell..
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by 36Drew »

-fluffy- wrote:
36Drew wrote:
John Right wrote:John 3:16 (New International Version)

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

There is no caveat, no tricks or further rules. Just believe in him, that's it and have eternal life! Not too complicated is it? Don't get hung on all the noise out there about what you can and can't do.

You can still enjoy your life you know, I do.


But what if you're wrong? What if you've chosen the wrong messiah?


And what if this is as good as it gets?


Man (Woman) has a natural curiosity to explore and explain. We create explanations to describe the unknown. We explore the unknown to create our explanations. The information gathered from exploring is compared to our explanations (understanding of the world and universe around us).

Those who are capable of independent thought and reasoning with a true desire to confirm their beliefs will alter their perspective to account for new findings. They grow. We are all born with this very instinct.

Then there are those who will blindly follow and believe based on the convictions passed along through generations. They will reject information and findings that do not confer with their beliefs. If it doesn't fit the parameters of their own convictions, then it must not and cannot be.
Somewhere along the way, some among us seem to adopt this path.

If this is as good as it gets - if society makes a transition from thought and reason to blind faith - we're in trouble.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
User avatar
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 25083
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by fluffy »

36Drew wrote:Man (Woman) has a natural curiosity to explore and explain. We create explanations to describe the unknown. We explore the unknown to create our explanations. The information gathered from exploring is compared to our explanations (understanding of the world and universe around us).


But in matters metaphysical, where proof and solid evidence is in short supply, doesn't understanding have to give way to faith?
Denial is based on one very specific desire – for something to not be true.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by 36Drew »

-fluffy- wrote:
36Drew wrote:Man (Woman) has a natural curiosity to explore and explain. We create explanations to describe the unknown. We explore the unknown to create our explanations. The information gathered from exploring is compared to our explanations (understanding of the world and universe around us).


But in matters metaphysical, where proof and solid evidence is in short supply, doesn't understanding have to give way to faith?


Quite the opposite. For me - faith in the metaphysical yields to understanding, reason, rational thought and critical analysis.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 25083
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by fluffy »

36Drew wrote:
-fluffy- wrote:
But in matters metaphysical, where proof and solid evidence is in short supply, doesn't understanding have to give way to faith?


Quite the opposite. For me - faith in the metaphysical yields to understanding, reason, rational thought and critical analysis.


I agree that rational thought and critical analysis should prevail over blind acceptance, but what is to be done when dealing with concepts that are largely unquantifiable? Heaven? God? At best we can come up with a working theory, but absolute knowledge remains unattainable.
Denial is based on one very specific desire – for something to not be true.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by 36Drew »

-fluffy- wrote:
36Drew wrote:
-fluffy- wrote:
But in matters metaphysical, where proof and solid evidence is in short supply, doesn't understanding have to give way to faith?


Quite the opposite. For me - faith in the metaphysical yields to understanding, reason, rational thought and critical analysis.


I agree that rational thought and critical analysis should prevail over blind acceptance, but what is to be done when dealing with concepts that are largely unquantifiable? Heaven? God? At best we can come up with a working theory, but absolute knowledge remains unattainable.


Why is there a need to have a belief in god and heaven?
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
User avatar
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 25083
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by fluffy »

36Drew wrote:Why is there a need to have a belief in god and heaven?


There isn't. I was just saying that for those that do have a belief in such things, that faith must take the place of understanding. This is true for many metaphysical matters which remain unmeasurable and unprovable.
Denial is based on one very specific desire – for something to not be true.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12731
Joined: Dec 8th, 2006, 5:44 am

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by Catz »

-fluffy- wrote:
36Drew wrote:Why is there a need to have a belief in god and heaven?


There isn't. I was just saying that for those that do have a belief in such things, that faith must take the place of understanding. This is true for many metaphysical matters which remain unmeasurable and unprovable.


You put in words what I can not. Thank you.
mountain_climber4567
Board Meister
Posts: 437
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by mountain_climber4567 »

I'm agnostic. And dyslexic and an insomniac.

I stay up all night wondering if there is or isn't a dog.
User avatar
strwbrrydvl
Guru
Posts: 9528
Joined: Jul 15th, 2008, 6:39 pm

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by strwbrrydvl »

mountain_climber4567 wrote:I'm agnostic. And dyslexic and an insomniac.

I stay up all night wondering if there is or isn't a dog.


:coffeecanuck: Oh you poor thing! There are plenty of dogs..
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
User avatar
my2rotties
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3150
Joined: Jun 14th, 2010, 7:53 pm

Re: Are atheists/agnostics more moral than Christians?

Post by my2rotties »

mountain_climber4567 wrote:I'm agnostic. And dyslexic and an insomniac.

I stay up all night wondering if there is or isn't a dog.


:dyinglaughing: Dogs are already angels...
It doesn't matter how good looking he or she is, some where, someone is tired of his or her's crap.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”