Evidence

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Evidence

Post by fluffy »

Piecemaker wrote:I like the idea that, "Spirituality is an inner sense of one's relationship to one's environment," However I still think/feel (without evidence of such) that there is a somewhat universal sense that our place or connection to our environment is a result of something greater than oneself. I used the phrase "higher power", but it could be the source, Mother Nature, our grandmothers and grandfathers. Perhaps it's even a result of cellular memory and the wisdom of our ancestors.

And some people are content to call this "God" without attaching a lot of religious hullaballoo to the concept.
Heal the sick, feed the hungry, care for the weakest among us, and always pray in private.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

-fluffy- wrote: And some people are content to call this "God" without attaching a lot of religious hullaballoo to the concept.

What is God? It is very possible that for every different person on this planet there is a different understanding for something that is really beyond anyone's understanding. Many people, I suspect, even understand that God is something that is beyond their understanding. I even strongly suspect there are some who say they don’t believe in God, yet their understanding of what “It” is might fall closely in line with the thinking of someone else who defines It as God (Buddhists come to mind). Some people use or follow a religion to help them feel they understand, and others just ponder the wonderment of the idea and remain open to exploring many explanations – perhaps even using meditation and prayer to assist in that effort to achieve some contact. The Bahai’i suggest that the search for spiritual enlightenment is a very personal journey with all religions containing truth. Some people even believe in nothing and do not wonder about It at all – and that’s all right for them too.

I know I’ve posted this before but I like it:

The religious man goes to church on Sunday and thinks about golf, whereas the spiritual man goes golfing on Sunday and thinks about God.

... however, the prudent man knows when it's time to get his butt off to work :runforlife:
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

steven lloyd wrote:
-fluffy- wrote: And some people are content to call this "God" without attaching a lot of religious hullaballoo to the concept.

What is God? It is very possible that for every different person on this planet there is a different understanding for something that is really beyond anyone's understanding. Many people, I suspect, even understand that God is something that is beyond their understanding. I even strongly suspect there are some who say they don’t believe in God, yet their understanding of what “It” is might fall closely in line with the thinking of someone else who defines It as God (Buddhists come to mind). Some people use or follow a religion to help them feel they understand, and others just ponder the wonderment of the idea and remain open to exploring many explanations – perhaps even using meditation and prayer to assist in that effort to achieve some contact. The Bahai’i suggest that the search for spiritual enlightenment is a very personal journey with all religions containing truth. Some people even believe in nothing and do not wonder about It at all – and that’s all right for them too.

I know I’ve posted this before but I like it:

The religious man goes to church on Sunday and thinks about golf, whereas the spiritual man goes golfing on Sunday and thinks about God.

... however, the prudent man knows when it's time to get his butt off to work :runforlife:

Speaking of prayer, would this be evidence that it can actually work?
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/100805/h ... mozambique
They say you can't believe everything they say.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

zzontar wrote: Speaking of prayer, would this be evidence that it can actually work?
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/100805/h ... mozambique

I’m not sure what that’s evidence of. It could be evidence of prayer affecting outcome but whether its evidence of God-answered prayer is impossible to determine. For example, we know that cancer patients who remain optimistic and have positive expectations also have a higher rate of survival. I don’t know for sure but I would speculate that not every cancer patient used in those studies was religious or even theistic. As another point of interest, I once heard of a study conducted at MIT (from a professor at SFU) using a super-computer that generated random binary numbers by the millions and subjects sitting in a room next door who were told to focus on one binary number. Under normal circumstances the computer would generate binary numbers in a distribution of 50-50 as would be expected due to randomness and probability, but for whatever reason, when there were test subjects in the room next door the outcome was affected in a statistically significant manner. The researchers speculated this was evidence that consciousness could exist outside of the body. Of course this did not prove that consciousness could exist outside of the body but there had to be some reason for the statistically significant difference in results. The researchers then asked the question, if consciousness could exist outside of the body could it also exist independent of the body (that is, after death)? This is a possibility if we accept that consciousness is energy and that energy cannot be destroyed, only changed, however, as a philosophy professor pointed out to me it could be changed to non-consciousness and still be some form of energy. Anyways, while these events are all no doubt evidence of something, what they are evidence of exactly can only be speculation and it is really impossible to say it is proof of anything.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”