Freedom of religion

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
laurensawyer
Board Meister

Freedom of religion

Post by laurensawyer »

in these days of freedom of religion i find it sick as an agnostic that my childs school made him wear a headpiece representative of jewish religion for a simple christmas concert. If i wanted religion in my childs curriculum i would have enrolled him in a religious school and i did not so keep it away from my son!
1nick
Lord of the Board

Re: freedom of religion

Post by 1nick »

thats the problem there's freedom of religion but, there's no freedom from religion.where ever you turn there it is.
eclipsevan

Post by eclipsevan »

what a sad day and age, let our children make their own decisions
tryscotty
Fledgling

Post by tryscotty »

eclipsevan wrote:what a sad day and age, let our children make their own decisions

Its actually a sad day when parents let their children make their own decisions. I'm not talking 18 yr olds. Lets face it all good parents direct their kids and guide them to the best choices. Don't we? Unless we don't care and take the easy way out.

As a very religious person myself I do happen to agree that a non religious school should not force any religion on kids. In fact I find it hard to believe that is the whole story. I'm sure it isn't.

Lets not use this half a story to bash religion more on these forums. And yes my 21 yr old is a very nice person whom I'm proud of. She makes good decisions and I take a back seat and let her. Not the case when she was 10.
Last edited by tryscotty on Dec 18th, 2010, 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

thats the problem with very religious parents and the children they raise,the child has no choice in their attendance of church
they're indoctrinated from the start, brainwashed with the religion myth.
child abuse IMO
if a child was not allowed to attend church until they could make their own cognative conclusions about such things
religion would not have such a strangle hold on society
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

tryscotty wrote:
eclipsevan wrote:what a sad day and age, let our children make their own decisions

Its actually a sad day when parents let their children make their own decisions. I'm not talking 18 yr olds. Lets face it all good parents direct their kids and guide them to the best choices. Don't we? Unless we don't care and take the easy way out.

As a very religious person myself I do happen to agree that a non religious school should not force any religion on kids. In fact I find it hard to believe that is the whole story. I'm sure it isn't.

Lets not use this half a story to bash religion more on these forums. And yes my 21 yr old is a very nice person whom I'm proud of. She makes good decisions and I take a back seat and let her. Not the case when she was 10.

Is your 21 year old religious still? I assume she attended church while under your roof? I think the point nickd was making is pretty similar to what I said in another post...Take a person capable of forming logical opinions, and has never been introduced to any religion or even the idea of religion. Now introduce the bible, that person is not going to believe it, and is going to find some pretty major holes. But if you get them young and force them to go to church (you might not call it force, but that's what it is) they, probably, will accept religion, and in all likihood be a religious person for their life. How is that fair to the person? They were never given a proper chance to form an opinion, they got brainwashed from the start. And that's what it is, brainwashing.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Re: Freedom of religion

Post by RR24K »

laurensawyer wrote:in these days of freedom of religion i find it sick as an agnostic that my childs school made him wear a headpiece representative of jewish religion for a simple christmas concert. If i wanted religion in my childs curriculum i would have enrolled him in a religious school and i did not so keep it away from my son!

Christmas in it self is a mass in worship of christ, whom is born to jewish parents. :smt102 what more can be said.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

RR24K wrote:
laurensawyer wrote:in these days of freedom of religion i find it sick as an agnostic that my childs school made him wear a headpiece representative of jewish religion for a simple christmas concert. If i wanted religion in my childs curriculum i would have enrolled him in a religious school and i did not so keep it away from my son!

Christmas in it self is a mass in worship of christ, whom is born to jewish parents. :smt102 what more can be said.

It is if you want it to be. If you want it to be something else, that's your right too.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

nickd wrote:thats the problem there's freedom of religion but, there's no freedom from religion.where ever you turn there it is.

Ironic, since just about any religious person of any faith will likely tell you the exact opposite; that they are living in a totally secular world which often seems hostile to their religion. If a person is really secure in his/her belief or unbelief, that person won't really give a rat's a$$ what other people believe, right?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
laurensawyer
Board Meister

Post by laurensawyer »

religion is the root of all wars and is in itself a cult. The fact that one poster does not want to hear any replies from another because of their freedom to not believe shows how brainwashing religion is.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Reality folks: Religion is as much a part our world as are other ethnicities, languages and countries. Jewish religion, just like other religions, has been around for centuries. Regardless of one's belief or non-belief it is important for people to have a basic understanding of the different perspectives. As for the Christmas concert, why is your child participating in a Christmas concert if you do not believe; because whether you believe it to be a Pagan celebration or a Christian one, both are "religious". Also, I find it hard to believe that your child was "made" to wear anything he or she was opposed to and probably didn't even know anything was "wrong" until you the parent became upset about it.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

What all wars are you reffering too? Please explain religion being a cult? You mean Christian religion?

laurensawyer wrote:religion is the root of all wars and is in itself a cult. The fact that one poster does not want to hear any replies from another because of their freedom to not believe shows how brainwashing religion is.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

laurensawyer wrote:religion is the root of all wars and is in itself a cult. The fact that one poster does not want to hear any replies from another because of their freedom to not believe shows how brainwashing religion is.

Wrong.
Greed is the root of all wars. Religion is merely the cloak under which most war is waged.
Soundsprofound
Fledgling

Post by Soundsprofound »

Funny, I submitted this before but somehow it got deleted, as per the original post, I think your reaction to the costume in a school play is way over the top.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”