'Atheist' bus

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by Tacklewasher »

So now this is an "Act of God"?

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#61859

Good to know God is a thief. :dyinglaughing:
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:Bet they are stashed in a church closet somewhere in town ...

What a bunch of freekin idjits.

I'm guessing that they are in a dumpster at the transit yard. This reeks of top down complicity. I hope someone loses their job over this.

Do you think they'd be that stupid to leave the evidence there in their yards? WOW! That would be so super dumb. On the other hand, nobody ever said those radical zealous Christians were rational, so you could be right.

I agree it looks like a top down job - shouldn't be too hard to figure out who is responsible - just look for the most "Christian" employee on duty when it happened. And which professional sign shops have the same church affiliation. Man, that guy's sign business could take a hit over this bit of theft and skulduggery. Doesn't make them look too honest and trustworthy, does it? How many sign businesses are there in Kelowna that would do this kind of sign work? Isn't it a bit specialized?

@Jenny LOL on the cookies.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I guess a good question would be how many Christians accepted the ad and thereby didn't make an effort to remove it?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

I guess a good question would be 'why don't those Christians who didn't steal the signs say anything about what what has been done to slur their entire faith community?' I know I'd be miffed if someone from my affiliations did anything to make us look like petty thieves.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

As far as who did it. I'd start with the guys who refused to drive the busses with the ads on them in the first place. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure that one out.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
subversionist

Post by subversionist »

Mr Danksworth wrote:I guess a good question would be 'why don't those Christians who didn't steal the signs say anything about what what has been done to slur their entire faith community?' I know I'd be miffed if someone from my affiliations did anything to make us look like petty thieves.

Here I'll say something for you. I am a Christian that disapproves of vandalism and/or theft of these signs.

Still you can hardly blame every Christian and church because some signs were stolen. I don't blame you or Grammafreddy because some derogatory graffiti finds itself on my church from time to time. I just paint over it and move on.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Good on ya, spread the word. I'm well aware that this isn't the fault of every Christian out there. Hopefully it's just the actions of a fanatical few. I just get tired of believers not calling their own out on some of their actions. Those People make the rest of you look bad.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

What I see in this is censorship, someone taking it upon themselves to decide what is best for others in matters of personal beliefs. I'd like to see some credentials before I hand those rights over.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

On CHBC news they said something to the effect of the Christian community said they had no problem with the ad and it might make people think a bit. Hopefully whoever ripped the ads down saw that and realized their closed-minded fanatical approach was counter-productive.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

dang that Mossad and their clandestine false flag tactics. Is nothing sacred!?

:spinball:
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

They may realize how counter-productive it was now, too bad it's too late for that realization. Hindsight is 20/20. If they work for BC transit, they should be fired. That'll stoke up the ol' persecution complex.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Mr Danksworth wrote: If they work for BC transit, they should be fired.

That might be a little extreme. Perhaps just a televised public apology and a local speaking tour extolling the benefits of living in a country where people are free to express their views without having their opinions suppressed and personal decisions made for them. Oh, and of course having new signs printed and professionally applied to the buses would help balance the books.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Excellent idea! All of that then fire them. ;) I've gotten people fired for prosteletizing at work, this is way worse. Vandalism of company property and violation of other's freedoms are grounds for dismissal.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

subversionist wrote:

Here I'll say something for you. I am a Christian that disapproves of vandalism and/or theft of these signs.

Still you can hardly blame every Christian and church because some signs were stolen. I don't blame you or Grammafreddy because some derogatory graffiti finds itself on my church from time to time. I just paint over it and move on.

Hey! I object to that!!! I didn't accuse every Christian and church ... I specifically said ...

grammafreddy wrote:nobody ever said those radical zealous Christians were rational

But you are right ... I wouldn't paint graffiti on your church - derogatory or otherwise.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

I find it humorous that the theft of the signs seems to have garnered more attention than the sign campaign itself.
Although I agree it was most likely one of the recalcitrant bus drivers, who's to say some atheists didn't steal the signs to draw more attention to the campaign? After all we have basically no evidence so who stole it is entirely conjecture at this point.

Regarding the silence of the religious community on the theft, churchs already condemn theft and going out of their way to make some kinda public condemnation about one particular theft of some particular signs that were likely only appealing to a select number of a small percentage of people whose opinion of the church is likely dismal at best seems like an excercise in futility.

Besides, this publicity is probably the best they've had yet...
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”