'Atheist' bus

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Here's an overview, in case you missed it. You made some hefty statements, I'd like to know your reasoning.

Mr Danksworth wrote:
averagejoe wrote:People screwed themselves up. Yes I can blame a lot on you atheist's, green's and new ager's. Just look how screwed up you have made the world so far.


So if everyone believed in god, didn't vote 'green' or care about their environment, and don't fall for the 2012 crystal powered hippy doompocalypse then everything would be alright? And what god-form should everyone believe in? If only I would have known happiness was so easy.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
User avatar
Tumult
Board Meister
Posts: 479
Joined: Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:38 am

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by Tumult »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Tumult wrote:
I suspect they figure the ten commandments are quite clear.


We all know that those rules are flexible. Anything can be justified, especially if one is self-righteously 'fighting for god".


It's a reasonable arguement that those who feel strongly religious (christian) have a greater disincentive to steal than those who have no explicit doctrine opposing theft and don't feel that some being is monitoring their actions. If "Anything can be justified" it's easy enough to reason that an atheist could perpitrate this theft especially if they felt the end justifies the means. This event has garnered a great deal more attention than the sign campaign itself which when combined with other factors I presented in a previous post presents reasonable motive for an atheist theif. In any case we don't know who stole the signs or if we will find out and I'm sure the increased media attention is helping the agenda of the center for inquiry and maybe you'll get your wish that someone (religious) gets fired over this.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10548
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by I Think »

Tumult wrote:It's a reasonable arguement that those who feel strongly religious (christian) have a greater disincentive to steal than those who have no explicit doctrine opposing theft and don't feel that some being is monitoring their actions


Dunno, didn't seem to deter the catholic priests. In fact I fail to see any reasonableness in blindly following any doctrine, no matter what its dictates may be. And to think that Christians are less likely to steal because some weird being is watching them from some weird place, is delusional.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2675
Joined: Oct 14th, 2008, 10:20 am

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Tumult wrote:It's a reasonable arguement that those who feel strongly religious (christian) have a greater disincentive to steal than those who have no explicit doctrine opposing theft and don't feel that some being is monitoring their actions.


Or perhaps they have a greater incentive to steal if they believe it somehow serves their god or is for the greater good of their Gods messaging at the expense of other thought paradigms.......Kinda like how some groups of people think that their kills or their position in a war is more noble because they are doing it FOR a deity......
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10548
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by I Think »

Especially if you can steal, kill, rape, defraud, and then REPENT, & get yourself into the happily ever after.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by grammafreddy »

averagejoe wrote:
People screwed themselves up. Yes I can blame a lot on you atheist's, green's and new ager's. Just look how screwed up you have made the world so far.


Pssst ... I think the religions started it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10548
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by I Think »

Lordy wonders never cease, here I am agreeing with GF.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 27257
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by fluffy »

Nibs wrote:Especially if you can steal, kill, rape, defraud, and then REPENT, & get yourself into the happily ever after.


NEWSFLASH: The "happily ever after" has a rather selective admissions policy, about which some people have been grossly misinformed.
“Debating an idiot is like trying to play chess with a pigeon — it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory.”
User avatar
Tumult
Board Meister
Posts: 479
Joined: Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:38 am

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by Tumult »

Nibs wrote:Dunno, didn't seem to deter the catholic priests. In fact I fail to see any reasonableness in blindly following any doctrine, no matter what its dictates may be. And to think that Christians are less likely to steal because some weird being is watching them from some weird place, is delusional.


Your failure to see the reasoning may be due to your assumption that these people are blindly following doctrine, what I was pointing out was that those whose beliefs strongly oppose theft have more reason to avoid stealing. Studies have shown when people feel they are being watched they are less inclined to steal (plus they probably don't think of the being as weird or in a weird place).

corneliousrooster wrote:Or perhaps they have a greater incentive to steal if they believe it somehow serves their god or is for the greater good of their Gods messaging at the expense of other thought paradigms.......Kinda like how some groups of people think that their kills or their position in a war is more noble because they are doing it FOR a deity......


That is certainly a possibility, although directly defying a command(ment) from one's deity seems counter intuitive there are certainly plenty of examples of such things taking place.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
User avatar
sobrohusfat
Guru
Posts: 6268
Joined: Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:42 am

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by sobrohusfat »

One of my personal favorites is from the old Scriptural Supplies Store.
They kept the Enterprise Way access door locked because they were loosing too much stock due to theft.

yes, that's right, too many people stealing bibles and other christian related material!

:137:

ahhh yes, can we really blame non beleivers for their contempt of religious types?
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
User avatar
Tacklewasher
Übergod
Posts: 1374
Joined: Jul 9th, 2008, 6:45 am

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by Tacklewasher »

sobrohusfat wrote:One of my personal favorites is from the old Scriptural Supplies Store.
They kept the Enterprise Way access door locked because they were loosing too much stock due to theft.

yes, that's right, too many people stealing bibles and other christian related material!

:137:

ahhh yes, can we really blame non beleivers for their contempt of religious types?



No. No.

You've got it all wrong.

It was all the atheists going in and stealing things out the back door.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10548
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by I Think »

-fluffy- wrote:The "happily ever after" has a rather selective admissions policy, about which some people have been grossly misinformed.


Oh, tell us how you know that people have been grossly misinformed, did some weird being from a weird place tell you?
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/61 ... ation-over

Stolen bus ad investigation over
by Contributed - Story: 61948
May 10, 2011 / 11:30 am


An investigation into the unauthorized removal of a Centre For Inquiry bus advertisement was inconclusive.

An investigation by the service operator found no evidence of unauthorized entry into the Kelowna Regional Transit yard, nor detected removal of the signs by anyone before they were discovered missing on April 29. With no witnesses or video surveillance to go on, how and when the advertisements were removed remains unknown.

The advertising contract with CFI stipulates it accepts liability for vandalism to ads. The replacement cost of around $200 would be borne by CFI.

The advertising company has offered to extend the display time as a gesture of goodwill.

The contract with CFI was supposed to run from April 11 to May 11.

Jamie Williams, Executive Director of CFI Vancouver says it appears as if the ads had been professionally removed.

CFI officials have indicated they plan to purchase another ad later in the year.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
Tumult
Board Meister
Posts: 479
Joined: Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:38 am

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by Tumult »

This morning on local talk radio I heard someone involved in the investigation mention that the bus ads are not difficult to remove (thus they may not have been "professionally" removed as the CFI suggests); this coupled with the fact that they don't know when or where the ads were removed leaves us with even less to go on than when this bit of news first broke.

I do find it somewhat ironic though that the outrage over this theft was based on faith (belief without evidence) that a religious bus driver perpetrated the crime.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2722
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Re: 'Atheist' bus

Post by 36Drew »

Nibs wrote:
-fluffy- wrote:The "happily ever after" has a rather selective admissions policy, about which some people have been grossly misinformed.


Oh, tell us how you know that people have been grossly misinformed, did some weird being from a weird place tell you?


Probably the biggest doozie of them all - when you die, your soul does not ascend into heaven. You are simply dead. You will only go to heaven after the second coming. Most christians do not know or understand this although it's commonly understood (and even discussed) amongst theologians.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”