Why are worldly people so repulsive compared to Christians?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Why are worldly people so repulsive compared to Christia

Post by fluffy »

My girlfriend is pregnant, but only a little bit.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Mr. Personality wrote: By definition a person cannot be "Atheist" except for one God or another. That's like saying someone is Asexual except for women, or vegetarian except for chicken. It just doesn't work.

I'm not sure what you meant by this statement. But to clarify, an Atheist has realized using evidence and logic that there is no god. period.
I am an Atheist. So if someone begins to try and explain god to me, I look at that person in the same way as I would someone trying to explain to me that the tooth fairy is real. Lot's of eye rolling and "uh huuuuh, suuuuure".
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

forum wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote: By definition a person cannot be "Atheist" except for one God or another. That's like saying someone is Asexual except for women, or vegetarian except for chicken. It just doesn't work.

I'm not sure what you meant by this statement. But to clarify, an Atheist has realized using evidence and logic that there is no god. period.
I am an Atheist. So if someone begins to try and explain god to me, I look at that person in the same way as I would someone trying to explain to me that the tooth fairy is real. Lot's of eye rolling and "uh huuuuh, suuuuure".

Forum, are you saying you don't believe anything could have been around forever?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

forum wrote:I'm not sure what you meant by this statement. But to clarify, an Atheist has realized using evidence and logic that there is no god. period.

I am of the mind that since the different concepts of "God" are so varied and wide ranging in nature and scope that it's good to keep ones options open. The "God" concept, being at this point in history totally unprovable one way or the other, is totally a matter of individual choice to follow or not. Forum, while I respect your right to believe as you wish, to take the position that your beliefs are the only option to the exclusion of all others reveals a level of arrogance that pushes the bounds of acceptability, and shows a narrowness of vision in failing to consider God concepts that can be reconciled with modern science quite comfortably. When people just like you come knocking on my door with their little newspapers I generally smile politely and courteously dispatch them with all possible haste. That being said I hope you have a real nice day.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

forum wrote:I'm not sure what you meant by this statement. But to clarify, an Atheist has realized using evidence and logic that there is no god. period. I am an Atheist. So if someone begins to try and explain god to me, I look at that person in the same way as I would someone trying to explain to me that the tooth fairy is real. Lot's of eye rolling and "uh huuuuh, suuuuure".

Forum, I would think that as an atheist you should be at peace? Regardless, whether or not there is a belief in God should not consume a person's life -- we/you/I believe there is or there isn't. My life does not revolve around the fact that there is no tooth fairy or Santa, nor do I obsess and make it my mission to change those who perpetuate the myth (I am a believer in the spirit of these, as you call them "fairy tales).

If, as you state God's existence is a "fairy tale", then why the obsession with God vs no-God? If, as you believe God is the equivalent to Santa, why not start a thread bashing Santa and passionately defend your stance?

"Methinks thou protests too loudly"!!
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Thank you for taking part in these discussions CoffeeFreak. It's very educational.

coffeeFreak wrote:Forum, I would think that as an atheist you should be at peace?

I am very much so at peace. I do as much as I can for people each and everyday. Knowing that my days on Earth will be my entire existence. I live a rewarding life.

coffeeFreak wrote:Regardless, whether or not there is a belief in God should not consume a person's life -- we/you/I believe there is or there isn't. My life does not revolve around the fact that there is no tooth fairy or Santa, nor do I obsess and make it my mission to change those who perpetuate the myth (I am a believer in the spirit of these, as you call them "fairy tales).

There is very little harm in the playful idea of the tooth fairy and Santa Clause. Some children get upset when they learn Santa is not real. But the temper tantrum usually subsides fairly quick. They think of all the nice presents they received regardless of his existence.
Obsessive religious people on the other hand. Well history clearly shows the ill effects of an obsessive delusional religious movement. We all know where the phrase " Keep drinking the Kool-Aid" came from.

coffeeFreak wrote:If, as you state God's existence is a "fairy tale", then why the obsession with God vs no-God? If, as you believe God is the equivalent to Santa, why not start a thread bashing Santa and passionately defend your stance?

Santa Clause is a quite harmless idea. Religious groups are harmful and the members of them are delusional. Delusional people are dangerous members of any society. People are still blowing themselves up (and killing people with them) for Allah. Remove Allah from the equation, and the delusional drive of these people extinguishes itself. They have nobody but themselves to blame for their selfish acts.

coffeeFreak wrote:"Methinks thou protests too loudly"!!

When Pentecostal churches tone it down, so will I.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

forum wrote:

How very mature of you.
I'm pretty sure I couldn't simplify that any more if I tried, but I'll try anyway.
When you say this:
Christians are believers of their god, but Atheist toward other gods.

You show me that you don't know what atheism is at all. For reference:
a·the·ism
–noun
1.the doctrine or belief that there is no god.

This means that someone can deny the existence of all but one God and still not be an Atheist. You can't be an Atheist "about something." You either are or you're not. Saying a Christian is an Atheist towards Thor is like saying I'm asexual towards men or vegetarian towards fish. It doesn't work. If you misunderstand such a basic concept, how can you be so sure about anything at all? You call yourself an Atheist, but apparently aren't sure what the word even means.
And then you go further to either misunderstand or put absolutely nothing into reading my post and make a comment that has nothing to do with what I said to you.
You're on a real streak.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Mr. Personality wrote:
forum wrote:

How very mature of you.
I'm pretty sure I couldn't simplify that any more if I tried, but I'll try anyway.
When you say this:
Christians are believers of their god, but Atheist toward other gods.

You show me that you don't know what atheism is at all. For reference:
a·the·ism
–noun
1.the doctrine or belief that there is no god.

This means that someone can deny the existence of all but one God and still not be an Atheist. You can't be an Atheist "about something." You either are or you're not. Saying a Christian is an Atheist towards Thor is like saying I'm asexual towards men or vegetarian towards fish. It doesn't work. If you misunderstand such a basic concept, how can you be so sure about anything at all? You call yourself an Atheist, but apparently aren't sure what the word even means.
And then you go further to either misunderstand or put absolutely nothing into reading my post and make a comment that has nothing to do with what I said to you.
You're on a real streak.

Maybe I'll boil it down some more for you. If you only believe in your one god and don't believe in any of the other gods than you are an atheist towards those other gods. That makes you an atheist. You just have to not believe in one more god and you are now a full atheist and not a part-time Atheist.

"When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

forum wrote:Maybe I'll boil it down some more for you. If you only believe in your one god and don't believe in any of the other gods than you are an atheist towards those other gods. That makes you an atheist. You just have to not believe in one more god and you are now a full atheist and not a part-time Atheist.

"When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

No, I understand what you're saying. What I'm saying is that by definition of Atheism your theory is wrong. If a person believes in any God at all, they are not Atheist. You cannot "be Atheist towards other Gods."There is no such thing as Atheist towards a certain God. Atheism means you don't believe in ANY god.

As for your last line, I have no idea why you added that little tidbit.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

An Atheist not knowing the meaning of Atheism..

A Christian believing in their Christian god isn't Atheist towards other religions - they don't believe in the other gods because they are Monotheists.
Here's an example: you've heard of asexual individuals? (People who are not sexual beings and are not attracted to either gender) I am a heterosexual female, would you say that I'm asexual towards females? Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?..just like it sounds ridiculous to say that a religious person is Atheist towards other gods.

Let's be clear here, religious folks aren't Atheists towards other gods/religions.. They don't believe in other gods because they have their own god to believe in ---> they believe in some god therefore not Atheist.

Christians are Monotheists not "Atheist towards other gods". Atheists don't believe in any god.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

zzontar wrote:
forum wrote:

Forum, are you saying you don't believe anything could have been around forever?

Well, waddya think?
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

zzontar wrote:
zzontar wrote:
forum wrote:

Well, waddya think?

I know that about 13.7 billion years ago our universe began expanding. That is just the universe that we humans are aware of. Time is something we use as a tool to understand our concepts and theories. There has always been "time". Being human, we are aware of our birth and death. Therefore we tend to think everything else coincides with a beginning and an end. This is of course not true. The dinosaurs had a beginning and end as well. But "Time" and the universe carries on despite the "mini extinctions". Our universe may in fact have a beginning and end. But of course our universe may be part of something bigger and yet more unimaginable then anything we have began to discover. It's through our discoveries that new light is shed upon the unknown. So the limitations becoming infinite even though we begin to understand more and more about our universe. So one could argue that nothing stays in it's own form infinitely, so nothing is forever. But energy does continue shifting and changing "forever". It's a simple question with a complex answer that is still being discovered by scientists.

I will however continue to argue that there is no god in all of this understanding and misunderstanding we have.
Jesus, the bible, god. None of those three "fit" in anywhere in our current discoveries and understanding of our universe. They are part of the "mini extinctions" even though they still litter our current existence.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

There has always been time? The leading scientists believe time started with the big bang, perhaps you know something they don't? Where do you think the matter that created the universe came from, did it all magically appear one day, or did it exist forever with no beginning?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Big Bang sounds pretty magical too me.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

zzontar wrote:There has always been time? The leading scientists believe time started with the big bang, perhaps you know something they don't? Where do you think the matter that created the universe came from, did it all magically appear one day, or did it exist forever with no beginning?

Time and the universe aren't the same thing.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”