16 things atheists need Christians to know

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Tacklewasher
Übergod

16 things atheists need Christians to know

Post by Tacklewasher »

Amazing how many of these made me thing of 5VP

http://www.iamanatheist.com/16_things.html
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Re: 16 things atheists need Christians to know

Post by Mr. Personality »

I didn't realize capitalizing "atheist" is such a slap in the face. Personally, I see it, in practice lately, to be as much of a belief system as any religion (we capitalize Judaism, but there's no guy named Ju). In reality, you're simply named your god "Science". Unfortunately, "Scientology" is already taken.

As to number 13, I realize lack of proof God exists is good enough reason (for you) to disbelieve the whole idea, I also realize that lack of evidence God doesn't exist is good enough reason (for me) to believe in God.

I don't think atheists are angry at God. I do think many are angry at Religion.

Chocolate is not a purpose. Nougat is.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Mr. Personality wrote:I didn't realize capitalizing "atheist" is such a slap in the face. Personally, I see it, in practice lately, to be as much of a belief system as any religion (we capitalize Judaism, but there's no guy named Ju). In reality, you're simply named your god "Science".

Not true. Not true at all. A god is a deity, a supreme being. Science is not.

As to number 13, I realize lack of proof God exists is good enough reason (for you) to disbelieve the whole idea, I also realize that lack of evidence God doesn't exist is good enough reason (for me) to believe in God.

So why don't you believe in the 4,000+ gods that have been around at one time or another, since they all share an equal lack of evidence.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Nebula wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:I didn't realize capitalizing "atheist" is such a slap in the face. Personally, I see it, in practice lately, to be as much of a belief system as any religion (we capitalize Judaism, but there's no guy named Ju). In reality, you're simply named your god "Science".

Not true. Not true at all. A god is a deity, a supreme being. Science is not.

Ok, your Prophet is Darwin and your current leader is Bill Maher. Atheists still get as zealous as religious folk when it comes to what they do believe in, which is science.

Nebula wrote:

So why don't you believe in the 4,000+ gods that have been around at one time or another, since they all share an equal lack of evidence.

I don't believe in any of the 4,001+ Gods. I don't prescribe to any one religious or spiritual doctrine. It is possible, you know.

(ps. I love the idea that if I believe in one god I should believe in all of them. Maybe someone should make a list like that for Atheists.)
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Mr. Personality wrote:Ok, your Prophet is Darwin and your current leader is Bill Maher.

Nope, no prophets. (No profits either, come to think of it.) No leaders either.
Atheists still get as zealous as religious folk when it comes to what they do believe in, which is science.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Nebula wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:Ok, your Prophet is Darwin and your current leader is Bill Maher.

Nope, no prophets. (No profits either, come to think of it.) No leaders either.

Well, let's see. He wrote the book that is basically the Atheist equivalent of the Bible. As to Bill Maher being your leader, maybe someone should probably tell him. :dyinglaughing:

Nebula wrote:
Atheists still get as zealous as religious folk when it comes to what they do believe in, which is science.

:smt102
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Well, personality, Darwin wrote nothing like the bible. Nor do I think one can draw a parallel between christians following their bible and atheists following Darwin's tempest of a book.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Nebula wrote:Well, personality, Darwin wrote nothing like the bible. Nor do I think one can draw a parallel between christians following their bible and atheists following Darwin's tempest of a book.

I do.
Atheism has become as much a belief system as any religion on Earth.
It's just that the religious admit it.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Mr. Personality wrote:
Nebula wrote:Well, personality, Darwin wrote nothing like the bible. Nor do I think one can draw a parallel between christians following their bible and atheists following Darwin's tempest of a book.

I do.

Nah. Atheists know they're right. Religious people just think they are.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Nebula wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:

I do.

Nah. Atheists know they're right. Religious people just think they are.

You've proven there's no God?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Mr. Personality wrote:You've proven there's no God?

I'm fairly certain a fervent christian would say the reverse of what I said before. In any event, I've proven there is no god as much as I've proven there is no ra, the sun god, or Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Nebula wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:You've proven there's no God?

I'm fairly certain a fervent christian would say the reverse of what I said before.

Which has what to do with me, exactly?
Nebula wrote: In any event, I've proven there is no god as much as I've proven there is no ra, the sun god, or Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.

That there is no Santa Clause gets proven once a year when they don't show. I put the presents under the tree that are "from Santa" and in the morning when I wake up, the exact same presents are there with no extras. Proof there's no Santa. Even if I was bad there should be an extra lump of coal, right? Same principal goes for the Easter bunny. Ra is on the same level as any God, he just has way less followers than he once did.

It doesn't mean he doesn't exist.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Mr. Personality wrote:That there is no Santa Clause gets proven once a year when they don't show.

Given that criteria, how can people believe in a no show god?

Sure, there are many religious people who attribute all manner of events to a god, but there is no proof that the event was influenced by any such supreme being.

It would all be so much simpler if this god/any god just caused a one-legged person to grow another leg. Or something similar. So much simpler.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Nebula wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:That there is no Santa Clause gets proven once a year when they don't show.

Given that criteria, how can people believe in a no show god?

Sure, there are many religious people who attribute all manner of events to a god, but there is no proof that the event was influenced by any such supreme being.

It would all be so much simpler if this god/any god just caused a one-legged person to grow another leg. Or something similar. So much simpler.

Santa Clause is a man who comes down your chimney and leaves presents. No idea of God that I've ever heard claims this and if one does, well then it's been proven that God doesn't exist. But it still doesn't prove God doesn't exist.

If Santa Clause didn't supposedly leave evidence (presents) of his presence behind, then one could argue that it hasn't been proven he doesn't exist.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

What about leprechauns? Unicorns?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”