Does prayer have the power to heal?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
janalta
Übergod

Re: Does prayer have the power to heal?

Post by janalta »

-fluffy- wrote:I think prayer is just one way of purging fear from the psyche. There are a number of similar tools, most without the religious associations, all of which have the effect of lowering ambient stress levels in the body allowing its natural functions to perform with better efficiency. Call it what you want, a life without drama just runs smoother in a lot of aspects.

Bio-feedback, meditation, yoga, relaxation exercises...all acomplish the same thing as sitting quietly and praying. They relax the body and mind, slow respiration and heart rate and reduce stress....and less stress means a healthier life.

The other aspect of it is very simple to explain and has nothing to do with miracles or religion...a positive outlook helps promote a healthy mind and body
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Jesus said 'Go and Sin No More.'

The reason a small percentage of Christians will have more prayers answered
than the people who just do meditation and relaxation exercises and yoga - is
those few Christians actually have a clear conscience.

One clear conscience is worth a thousand relaxation exercises.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Thinktank wrote:Jesus said 'Go and Sin No More.'

The reason a small percentage of Christians will have more prayers answered
than the people who just do meditation and relaxation exercises and yoga - is
those few Christians actually have a clear conscience.

One clear conscience is worth a thousand relaxation exercises.

That's balderdash, lots of non-christians also have a clear conscience as "sin" isn't something that exists in their reality.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Thinktank wrote:those few Christians actually have a clear conscience.

Another myth...a Christian with a clear conscience...
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:That's balderdash, lots of non-christians also have a clear conscience as "sin" isn't something that exists in their reality.
You must have a different understanding of what sin is then many people. The answer, in the true sense of the word is, we all are sinners. It means we all do things wrong sometimes, thoughts, deeds, desires and so on.

I'm pretty sure the only people who think they do no wrong (or sin) are sociopaths. Your not one are you? Now if you meant that people who don't believe in a higher power who rewards or punishes are free of guilt of displeasing him, then you might be closer to correct. But all people except the sociopaths feel guilty too. Peoples inner voice, that tells them right and wrong also make people feel guilty if they do bad things or happy when they do good.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Nope, I know what the definition is....... Do you????
the definition of sin is: (first entry from google)
An immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.
If a person's belief system says.....there is no "God" then there is no "sin".
Being a christian doesn't give you a ticket to a clear conscience.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:Nope, I know what the definition is....... Do you????
the definition of sin is: (first entry from google)
An immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.
If a person's belief system says.....there is no "God" then there is no "sin".
Then read the second one. Either way, you do feel bad or good when you do right or wrong correct? I hope so.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Hmmm wrote: Then read the second one. Either way, you do feel bad or good when you do right or wrong correct? I hope so.

Of course, most moral people do.
Thinktank suggested that christians prayers get answered more often than other religions who don't call it prayer but rather meditation or some other focused thought. The point I was trying to make was, that just because you're a "christian" doesn't mean you have a clearer conscience, ergo your prayers will be answered more often than someone who is either from another faith or none at all. If, for some reason you believe that just by being christian that your conscience is automatically clear then one is deluding him/herself.
Although really I don't know why I bother as I also don't believe in prayer either.
~ Terry Pratchett
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Pretty much anything that causes you to breath deeper and slower while calming the mind is of benefit. Whether it's meditation, prayer or yoga.

I also noticed recently with my father being in the hospitol for some time was the increased number of visitors people who belong to a church get. Not only does thier clergy often drop by but others from the orgainzations and groups they belong to as a result of thier church drop by to cheer them up as well. Even though the hospitol is crowded to the point of patients lining the hallways, it can be a lonely place when you're fighting for your life if you have no visitors. Studies have proven that loneliness is another risk factor as we age.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Hmmm wrote:You must have a different understanding of what sin is then many people. The answer, in the true sense of the word is, we all are sinners. It means we all do things wrong sometimes, thoughts, deeds, desires and so on.

I'm pretty sure the only people who think they do no wrong (or sin) are sociopaths. Your not one are you? Now if you meant that people who don't believe in a higher power who rewards or punishes are free of guilt of displeasing him, then you might be closer to correct. But all people except the sociopaths feel guilty too. Peoples inner voice, that tells them right and wrong also make people feel guilty if they do bad things or happy when they do good.

Absolutely not true.
If you do not believe in god or a divine power....then you do not believe in 'sin'.
Sin is a religious belief.

One does not have to believe in 'sin' as per your definitions or religious guidelines to know right from wrong.....they are called morals, conscience, etc.
Therefore, only those who believe in your definition of religion and god can possibly be 'sinners'.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Its proven to work,Prayer ,meditation tapping into the harmonies of the universe ,its all good. You'll never get help until you ask for it.Even if you are just praying to the god within.
Peace be with you.
ixler8
Board Meister

Post by ixler8 »

Placebos work as well.
Don't worry ,about a thing.
cause, every little thing is gonna be alright.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

kibbs wrote:Its proven to work

Not.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Not.

Prayer involves repetition -- of sounds, words -- and therein lies its healing effects, says Benson. "For Buddhists, prayer is meditation. For Catholics, it's the rosary. For Jews, it's called dovening. For Protestants, it's centering prayer. Every single religion has its own way of doing it."

Prayer alone does not do anything unless your illness can self heal..It gives you permission to heal .It allows the process to begin when you focus on healing.You must also do everything medically possible .Worship and work must be done .Prayer and deed go hand in hand.
5 Now in response to the life you are giving,
help us, O Father, to offer our living,
seeking a just and a healing society,
worship and work must be one! [Refrain]

http://www.hymnary.org/text/raising_our ... _rejoicing
my grandmother went to church and prayed, grandad worked the garden.They are in heaven together.
Peace be with you.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

kibbs wrote:Prayer alone does not do anything unless your illness can self heal.

Well isn't that convenient? Prayer only works if the situation would have been healed without prayer.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”