Evolution or Creation?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
DerKaiser
Board Meister

Re: Evolution or Creation?

Post by DerKaiser »

Creation
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

cliffy1 wrote:I think that we were genetically engineered by aliens a long time ago.

As funny as that may sound to us, that theory has more merit than creationism ........ many orders of magnitude more merit.

cliffy1 wrote:This would also explain the gaps in evolution ......

Gaps in evolution? Do you think that there are gaps? Really? Tell me you are joking, right? Examples, please.

cliffy1 wrote: ..... or sudden jumps in development.

Do you mean like the era of developmental backwardness that the Christian doctrine inflicted on Europe during the Dark Ages and Islam is working on right now? Yeah, I get that.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

cliffy1 wrote:What created god? If there was nothing before god created it, where did god come from?

Stephen Hawking postulated that time did not exist until it began with the Big Bang. While not a theist, he has acknowledged that this idea could support the notion of an infinite God – one that has always existed, exists now and will always exist.
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

Born_again wrote:
cliffy1 wrote:This would also explain the gaps in evolution ......

Gaps in evolution? Do you think that there are gaps? Really? Tell me you are joking, right? Examples, please.

cliffy1 wrote: ..... or sudden jumps in development.

Have you never heard of all the effort scientists have been putting into finding the "Missing Link" gap for many different species including humans??

One example of a "jump" in human development can be seen in ancient engineering of monolithic structures all over the planet which indicate that mankind was given assistance for these projects. Some of these structures have engineered elements that are yet beyond our currently available technologies.

More recently, our burgeoning biotechnologies seem in many ways "godlike" but there is eveidence from the past that bioengineering was carried out by the ancients. Ie. mythical creatures

I think we have actually lost much of this knowledge from our past and are only now reacquiring some of it.

It's entirely possible that there were other civilizations equal to if not greater than our own current one here on good ol' planet earth.
Infinite rider on the big dogma...
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

There is no such thing as a missing link, every fossil and living thing today are a transitional specimen. Evolution is constantly occurring. I highly recommend Dawkins' The Greatest Show on Earth The Evidence for Evolution for those who need more education on the subject. It is very well written and in plain language.

Evolution is not a belief or opinion. For some, they don't believe it because it's not a law so they feel the evidence may not be solid enough for the scientists even. It will never be a law because it is too complex to be broken down into a mathematical equation. It is, however, very much a fact.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

5VP wrote:One example of a "jump" in human development can be seen in ancient engineering of monolithic structures all over the planet which indicate that mankind was given assistance for these projects. Some of these structures have engineered elements that are yet beyond our currently available technologies.

uhoh, someone's been watching too much "ancient aliens" on history channel.

"we're not sure how they built it, so, they must of had outside assistance". now there's a giant leap in logic.

Hey, with some sand, rope, shovels, lumber and some back breaking labour combined with basic physics and leverage principles I could erect stone henge too. It's not that difficult (as in complicated) to move large tonnage stones around.
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

WhatThe wrote:
5VP wrote:One example of a "jump" in human development can be seen in ancient engineering of monolithic structures all over the planet which indicate that mankind was given assistance for these projects. Some of these structures have engineered elements that are yet beyond our currently available technologies.

uhoh, someone's been watching too much "ancient aliens" on history channel.

"we're not sure how they built it, so, they must of had outside assistance". now there's a giant leap in logic.

Hey, with some sand, rope, shovels, lumber and some back breaking labour combined with basic physics and leverage principles I could erect stone henge too. It's not that difficult (as in complicated) to move large tonnage stones around.

You could build Stonehenge?

That would be a great reality TV show!

You could call it, "Canadian Cousin Dudesons".

Too funny...

We've gotten used to modern building techniques which utilize machinery and engines and modern materials and techniques so opinions of ancient structures building techniques can be skewed by current mindsets.

We still can't comprehend the motivating factors for even building these structures let alone measure the current relevance to us now of the human toll v. benefits to the ancient civilizations concerned.

I'd like to see your cost estimate on this project.

Beyond the possibility of ancient "alien" (I say celestial) technological assistance lies the leap of knowledge that was required to design and engineer these structures.

Why has it subsequently, take so long, for us "modern" humans to relearn all this engineering wizardry??

Is that not a developmental and/or knowledge gap?

I hope these questions continue to challenge us because the thought that humans have everything aced, figured out and wrapped up in a neat package of omniscient knowledge would be truly depressing to me, and extremely disappointing.

There are, in my opinion, already too many inhumanly evolving "Borg" walking the streets these days...

:sunshine:
Last edited by 5VP on Nov 6th, 2011, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

Last edited by 5VP on Nov 6th, 2011, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

There's a definite gap between pantroglodytes and thermoanaerobacter longcongensis at the top of the tree...
Last edited by 5VP on Nov 6th, 2011, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

5VP wrote:Why has it subsequently, take so long, for us "modern" humans to relearn all this engineering wizardry??

There's really no gap, there are architectural masterpieces throughout time. Petra, medieval cathedrals, Egyptian pyramids, south American pyramids, Greece, Rome...
Even during the religion imposed dark ages 500 Ad to 1500ad they were still building massive and successively more complicated cathedrals.

There's a distinct difference in actually building and cost incurred. Why spend billions on building a giant stone structure to emulate and worship gods? However we do spend billions for large sporting venues such as the Olympic. In that case it's about generating money for profit. Or hockey/football/baseball arenas.

The ancients had reasons based in religion.

Take a handful of dry sand and pour it onto the ground, you'll find the angle at which it settles is the same as the pyramids and coincidentally, a conical/ pyramidal shape, a stable easy to build shape. Go figure.
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

WhatThe wrote:
5VP wrote:Why has it subsequently, take so long, for us "modern" humans to relearn all this engineering wizardry??

There's really no gap, there are architectural masterpieces throughout time. Petra, medieval cathedrals, Egyptian pyramids, south American pyramids, Greece, Rome...
Even during the religion imposed dark ages 500 Ad to 1500ad they were still building massive and successively more complicated cathedrals.

There's a distinct difference in actually building and cost incurred. Why spend billions on building a giant stone structure to emulate and worship gods? However we do spend billions for large sporting venues such as the Olympic. In that case it's about generating money for profit. Or hockey/football/baseball arenas.

The ancients had reasons based in religion.

Take a handful of dry sand and pour it onto the ground, you'll find the angle at which it settles is the same as the pyramids and coincidentally, a conical/ pyramidal shape, a stable easy to build shape. Go figure.

Yeah, I hear ya...

I too am bored with getting filthy rich from the olympic benefits drenching this province in prosperity.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

chucknorris.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

In the past there was more than sudden and unexplained phenomenon like building megaliths. There were also leaps in mathematics and astronomy. The Sumerians seemed to appear out of nowhere with a fully developed civilization. Advanced civilization appeared in Central America, China and India all about the same time. What was it that caused this phenomenon? Where did all this science come from and how did it appear almost simultaneously all over the planet? It would seem that the human race got a sudden injection of smarts.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”