There is no such thing as a Christian Conservative

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
SassySasquatch
Board Meister

Re: There is no such thing as a Christian Conservative

Post by SassySasquatch »

Bagotricks wrote: ...not allowing natives to vote...

Sorry to be a wet blanket but it was indeed the Diefenbaker Conservatives that gave the 'indian' a free vote without the penalty of disenfranchisement - that is, the ability to vote without losing their status as an 'indian'.
"...always keep your mind and heart open." - Henry Fonda
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

Shanbo wrote:Sorry Pastor Dave, you can't call yourself a Christian and a Conservative.

Why?

Because Jesus was about "Love Thy Neighbor", and conservatism is about "#%#@ Thy Neighbor".

That's the big law in the New Testament. Not abortion. Not gay marriage. But how you treat other people.

Yeah, I can hear what you're saying: "Well, I'm all in favor of personal charity, but I just don't think the government should do it."

Well guess what; in a democratic society we ARE the government!

Essentially, when conservatives vote against government programs, they're emptying somebody's fridge and then feeling charitable when they toss them back a can of beans.

I am thankful that there are many Christian churches out there that don't support Pastor Dave's philosphy. It's just the loudest ones that do.

The above sounds like Emergent Church psychobabble. In contrast, Paleo-conservatism is very consistent with Christianity.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

concernie wrote:The above sounds like Emergent Church psychobabble. In contrast, Paleo-conservatism is very consistent with Christianity.

Jesus was a bleeding heart, long haired, peace loving, anti-establishment, liberal hippie freak with strange ideas; everything conservatives hate.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

cliffy1 wrote:Jesus was a bleeding heart, long haired, peace loving, anti-establishment, liberal hippie freak with strange ideas; everything conservatives hate.

You are referring to neo-conservatism, which is quite different from paleo-conservatism and the Hellenized Church.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

concernie wrote:You are referring to neo-conservatism, which is quite different from paleo-conservatism and the Hellenized Church.

Catholicism and protestantism are conservative organizations that follow the teachings of Paul and have very little to do with the teachings of Jesus, which is why I prefer to call them Paulianity, not Christianity. It is a religion about Christ, not his teachings at all. Anyone who has bothered to study the history of both the bible and Christianity would have to come to that conclusion. I am sure that if Jesus was to return he would be so appalled by what has been done in his name that he would chastise one and all... just before they nailed him to a cross (again).
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

Shanbo wrote:Sorry Pastor Dave, you can't call yourself a Christian and a Conservative.

Why?

Because Jesus was about "Love Thy Neighbor", and conservatism is about "#%#@ Thy Neighbor".

That's the big law in the New Testament. Not abortion. Not gay marriage. But how you treat other people.

Yeah, I can hear what you're saying: "Well, I'm all in favor of personal charity, but I just don't think the government should do it."

Well guess what; in a democratic society we ARE the government!

Essentially, when conservatives vote against government programs, they're emptying somebody's fridge and then feeling charitable when they toss them back a can of beans.

I am thankful that there are many Christian churches out there that don't support Pastor Dave's philosphy. It's just the loudest ones that do.

Pro-life is about conserving life. Is not Jesus' message about conserving life by saving sinners? Pro-life oppose eugenics, which, again, is about conserving human life. The Bible is about nothing but conserving human life. Seems pretty conserv-ative to me.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”