Christmas trees

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
eMeM
Übergod

Re: Christmas trees

Post by eMeM »

5VP wrote:
cutter7 wrote:Thanks cliffy . Looks like the jehovahs have it right when it comes to christmas. The more I read the more I believe the tree is a form of idolatry.

Yup...

The 7th Day Adventists are also right to regarding the Sabbath...

Hint:

It isn't on Sunday...

Catholicism threw all the pagan practices into a bag mixed with Constantine's revelations, shook things up and dumped out a religion...

Interestingly enough, I actually left the SDA church because although they have some of there stuff right, they're lost on a lot as well. The one up in Glenrosa had a large Christmas tree up in the lobby one year. When I asked why they would do that knowing full well that it is wrong the answer I received was a bunch of hooey about the priority being "Evangelizing and bringing in more members." I was stunned. So it's okay to lie to people to bring them in? :runforlife:

As far as I'm concerned the only church that has it together is the Philadelphia Church of God. If you're interested in learning more, here's their website:
http://www.pcog.org/
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

I'm not too sure about here in Canada, but in the UK most trees have either an angel sitting on top, or a star. I was always told that the star represented the wise men/Bethlehem myth. Sounds like idolatry to me.
As you would expect, His Noodliness(pesto be upon him) adorns my tree, with His magnificent noodly appendages fondling all that stray near.
I think it's high time that Canadian families put the Spaghediety back into our winter solstice holidays.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Captain Awesome wrote:
cutter7 wrote:if its not a form of idolatry what would you call it? you might not worship it but you do gather around it like it has some significance.

Holiday symbol?

I give my wife flowers for her birthday, and they have some symbolic significance. Wouldn't call it idolatry.

sure what ever works for you...I suppose my question was more for the church going people but your post gives me more questions.

First on your flower comment. do you spend thousands of dollars decorating your flowers? do you gather your family around them singing songs? are your flowers the focal point in your house during a certain season?

Christmas is a religious holiday where christians decided to celebrate the birth of jesus to cover up the pagan celebrations. why do non christians put up a tree? do you consider yourself a pagan? and *bleep* is a pagan?
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Any symbol or object used for religious purposes is an idol and it is warned in the bible not to use them. The tree for most people has no religious significance, it is just a focal point for the celebration of life, which to me, is what Christmas has become for many. Unfortunately, it has also become a symbol of unrestrained capitalism. Instead of having some religious significance, the whole Christmas holiday has become nothing more than a jingle for mindless consumerism.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

cutter7 wrote:sure what ever works for you...I suppose my question was more for the church going people but your post gives me more questions.

First on your flower comment. do you spend thousands of dollars decorating your flowers? do you gather your family around them singing songs? are your flowers the focal point in your house during a certain season?

Christmas is a religious holiday where christians decided to celebrate the birth of jesus to cover up the pagan celebrations. why do non christians put up a tree? do you consider yourself a pagan? and what the heck is a pagan?

In the Roman Empire, a pagan was a country dweller, someone who followed the old earth based spiritual practices. I consider myself a nonpracticing born again pagan. I believe in a lot of the Native American spiritual traditions and some of the Celtic. The tree makes more sense to an Earth based belief.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Yes - god was wondering when you pesky mortals were going to realize that enjoying the twinkle of lights on a severed tree is idolization. Its right up there with sacrificing a goat to satan...... :skippingsheep:

perhaps trying to eliminate hollywood would be a better effort to try and eliminate false idols.... trees with lights ? really? Are you "worshipping" your tree?( I never have and didn't realize it was customary) Are pretty lights and sparkles bad all around or just on severed trees?

Neurotic religious fanatacism good - christmas tree bad....... oka, got it! :coffeecanuck:
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Corneliousrooster wrote:Yes - god was wondering when you pesky mortals were going to realize that enjoying the twinkle of lights on a severed tree is idolization. Its right up there with sacrificing a goat to satan...... :skippingsheep:

perhaps trying to eliminate hollywood would be a better effort to try and eliminate false idols.... trees with lights ? really? Are you "worshipping" your tree?( I never have and didn't realize it was customary) Are pretty lights and sparkles bad all around or just on severed trees?

Neurotic religious fanatacism good - christmas tree bad....... oka, got it! :coffeecanuck:

slow down big rig..... nobody is trying to take your tree away. I am just curious why you feel the need to put it up..well more curious to why the religious people put it up. I assume from your post that you are not religious ...
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

Exactly...

If you put up a real tree you are honoring one of God's works which could also be used to acknowledge and honor the birth event of his son regardless of the historical inaccuracies.

If you put up a manufactured brand name replica, and considering the pollution produced in the manufacturing process, you might be considered a satanic corporate idolater.

I suppose, for some, it only matters that there's enough room underneath for the traditional christmas gift of the automobile, just like the one baby Jesus was given... ..
Infinite rider on the big dogma...
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

5VP wrote:Exactly...

If you put up a real tree you are honoring one of God's works which could also be used to acknowledge and honor the birth event of his son regardless of the historical inaccuracies.

If you put up a manufactured brand name replica, and considering the pollution produced in the manufacturing process, you might be considered a satanic corporate idolater.

I suppose, for some, it only matters that there's enough room underneath for the traditional christmas gift of the automobile, just like the one baby Jesus was given... ..

hahaha I actually lol'd
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

cutter7 wrote:slow down big rig..... nobody is trying to take your tree away. I am just curious why you feel the need to put it up..well more curious to why the religious people put it up. I assume from your post that you are not religious ...

Feel the need????? its customary in my family and it puts smiles on our faces.....its about that deep. I myself am not religious but most of my family is, and I was brought up religious. Falls in line with cinnamin hearts on valentines, wearing green on st'paddys, easter eggs and bunnys at easter, trick or treating at halloween, and kissing a loved one at midnight on the crack of midnight on new years. Just because it is customary and happens to coincide with a religious holiday doesn't mean there needs to be some big religious explanation, nor does it need to be endorsed by a church or religious group to make it ok.

have fun, and celebrate the birth of your saviour, enjoy the pretty lights and the fresh pine scent for a few weeks and then put it all away til next year...... most people do it for THE KIDS!
JOF585
Übergod

Post by JOF585 »

Corneliousrooster wrote:...... most people do it for THE KIDS!

Well of course !! Under the tree is where Santa leave all the gifts.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
cutter7 wrote:slow down big rig..... nobody is trying to take your tree away. I am just curious why you feel the need to put it up..well more curious to why the religious people put it up. I assume from your post that you are not religious ...

Feel the need????? its customary in my family and it puts smiles on our faces.....its about that deep. I myself am not religious but most of my family is, and I was brought up religious. Falls in line with cinnamin hearts on valentines, wearing green on st'paddys, easter eggs and bunnys at easter, trick or treating at halloween, and kissing a loved one at midnight on the crack of midnight on new years. Just because it is customary and happens to coincide with a religious holiday doesn't mean there needs to be some big religious explanation, nor does it need to be endorsed by a church or religious group to make it ok.

have fun, and celebrate the birth of your saviour, enjoy the pretty lights and the fresh pine scent for a few weeks and then put it all away til next year...... most people do it for THE KIDS!

lmao...if you stopped and realized that the thread you are posting in is a religious thread you might realize that yes, questioning putting up a christmas tree at christmas is a relevant question.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

cutter7 wrote:l...if you stopped and realized that the thread you are posting in is a religious thread you might realize that yes, questioning putting up a christmas tree at christmas is a relevant question.

the better question would be - Why would god care if you happened to incorporate non-religious elements into a specific date that also contains religious significance?

how anyone could manipulate the text in the bible regarding false idols to apply to the notion of a christmas tree ..... :spinball:
JOF585
Übergod

Post by JOF585 »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
cutter7 wrote:l...if you stopped and realized that the thread you are posting in is a religious thread you might realize that yes, questioning putting up a christmas tree at christmas is a relevant question.

the better question would be - Why would god care if you happened to incorporate non-religious elements into a specific date that also contains religious significance?

how anyone could manipulate the text in the bible regarding false idols to apply to the notion of a christmas tree ..... :spinball:

God did not write the Bible. Mere mortals did. Men have manipulated the texts for ages.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Corneliousrooster wrote:

I don't think its a "better question" but it is a question. I think we do worse things than incorporate pagan customs into our celebrations so no, I don't think this is god gets too hung up on it.

where was the text manipulated regarding false idols? I can show you the text and you can read for yourself. can you show me text that supports the tree?

Anyway enjoy your families pagan based religious custom even if you are neither... just don't drink too much egg nog ....er wait a minute... go ahead drink too much I will look forward to your egg nog laced response.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”