Ask me any questions you have for Islam

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
fibonacci

Re: Ask me any questions you have for Islam

Post by fibonacci »

Captain Awesome wrote:So, Fibonacci, what are your thoughts on gay rights?

As I said in one of my earlier posts--Islamic law should not be forced on people at the NATIONAL level. It should be inspiring people at the local/community level.

If nations were to follow this strategy with other religions as well, you would have a country that is made of different towns/cities that have different laws. You would have several cities that are based on laws from Christianity, several cities that are based on Jewish laws, several cities that are based on Islamic laws, ...etc. They would all be trading with one another peacefully.

At the same time, you would have big cities that accommodate people of all sorts of different religions--including atheists. In such regions, a Christian would be judged by the Pslam/Gospel, a Jew would be judged by the Torah, a Buddhist by Tripiṭaka, a Zoroastrian by the Avesta, a Muslim by Quran, ...etc. The default laws or laws for cases where people of different faith have a conflict, then they would follow a COMMON law.

As a result, for homosexuals that are living in a Muslim community that is based on Islamic laws, they should know the rules and respect it. If they want to express their sexuality, they cannot do it in public, but instead they are free to do whatever they want in their private home, so long as 4 people of the community do not witness their act. If they get caught, it is most likely that they will be ostracized from the community.

Having said that, It would be in their best interest to move to a community that will allow them to express their sexuality in public--kind of like Church and Wellesley region in downtown Toronto.

So to summarize. If you have a community that follows Islamic laws, you must respect the laws. There is the public life and the private life. In your public life, you have to follow the laws (ie. can't have PDA-homosexual or hetrosexual, you can't have sex in public, you can't drink alcohol in public, you can't gamble in public, ...etc.) . In your private life, you can do whatever you like, so long as you don't do something that draws attention from the community.
Hmmm
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Hmmm »

And you have 1 example of this fantasy paradise of all different groups trading and getting along peacefully? Somewhere? Anywhere? I didn't think so. How about telling us something based in reality.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

That's quite a statement.

So....uhmm....does it mean that somebody of Islamic religion here in Kelowna would be told to shut up and mind their own business and not to spread their foreign culture? Or practice it quietly at home without four people knowing about it? Or get kicked out so they can go to some place where Muslims are majority?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
fibonacci

Post by fibonacci »

Hmmm wrote:And you have 1 example of this fantasy paradise of all different groups trading and getting along peacefully? Somewhere? Anywhere? I didn't think so. How about telling us something based in reality.

What's with the tone?

Examples:

Most of the middle east use to be like this--when Europe was in the dark ages. Jerusalem for example was a city where Muslims, Christians and Jews were living/trading peacefully together for hundreds of years.

Many cities in Iran, like Isfahan or the ancient city of Susa was like this before British Imperialism came into the region.

The early years of America was almost like this 'paradise'.

In Islam, when Jesus comes back, we believe that him and Islam's messianic figure Imam Zaman, will place a government where the judicial system is based on the what I've described in my previous post.
fibonacci

Post by fibonacci »

Captain Awesome wrote:That's quite a statement.

So....uhmm....does it mean that somebody of Islamic religion here in Kelowna would be told to shut up and mind their own business and not to spread their foreign culture? Or practice it quietly at home without four people knowing about it? Or get kicked out so they can go to some place where Muslims are majority?

???

Your analogy doesn't really work, because Canada has a series of federal laws that are imposed everywhere across the country. You don't have a 'variety' of laws.

Now, if Kelowna did have laws that are what you described...where they should practice their faith at home without four people knowing about it, then that's what they should do. It's the law and they should follow it. However, it would be in their best interest to move to a community that is geared toward Muslims.

The reason why the Qur'an says 4, is to make it difficult to convict someone for adultery/homosexual act. Now, remember I said these laws apply only to an Islamic community. It's a community that people want to move into so that their kids grow up as Muslims. Why would homosexuals want to live in such a community? There would be 1000s of different communities, towns to choose from. If they can't move, then they have no choice but to respect the laws of the community. Of course, they'll have the right to vote in an election--and they can vote for a politician that would allow gay sex in public. But if the majority in the community don't want such a law and want Islamic laws, homosexuals would have no choice but to respect it.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Last edited by Roadster on Jun 24th, 2016, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Hmmm
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Hmmm »

fibonacci wrote:The early years of America was almost like this 'paradise'.
Thats my point, you think that was the case, when it was the farthest from it. Your middle east, tribal wars have gone on for millenniums too. You are saying that Islam has this peaceful fantasy, you seem to think existed in the past, when it didn't and thus you think it will again, when if history is any indicator, it won't.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

[quote="nickd"][quote="fibonacci"]I think TV is a dangerous weapon and should be avoided. It is a form of magic, IMO.[/quote]

How do you reconcile looking at a computer and not a t.v.?
Both are tools to be used at your discretion.
If you use the term magic for t.v. Then a computer would be magic to the power of 10[/quote]

?
Let’s play “Spot the Putin Patsy”
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Last edited by Roadster on Jun 24th, 2016, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
fibonacci

Post by fibonacci »

Hi guys, due to the limited time I have, I'm going to quickly address the veil issue.

I've noticed a lot of females have questions about the veil.

So I encourage you all to watch the following lecture presented by the former British actress, Emilie François. You'll hear firsthand what a women's perspective is on this issue and other Islamic concepts.

I'm sharing these videos, not because she's a very good speaker but she also grew up in the west and understands the deep knowledge that Islam provides.

Secondly, for the Christians lurking in this thread....I would like to add that the bible itself talks about the veil. In fact, if you go and look at any picture of Jesus's mother, Mary. In almost all cases, she was wearing a veil. Also take a look at Martin Luthar's wife or his mother, you'll notice they both wore a veil.

As always, I'll come back with more answers. The video above should answer most of the questions that females have.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Last edited by Roadster on Jun 24th, 2016, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Last edited by Roadster on Jun 24th, 2016, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
kina
Board Meister

Post by kina »

It's interesting that she starts off as saying that being a female Muslim actually does in a way constitute adopting "second-class citizenship". She is a woman who has chosen the faith, so that is fine. But what about those women who do not want that faith, the ones who are born into it? For any religion that rings true but in Islam it seems to me that women are more severely punished merely for being a woman of such views.
I do know of people who have chosen not to punish women or raise a hand at their women or treat them with less respect or as lower than men even though they practice being a Muslim and call themselves as such. But that had nothing to do with the religion of Islam, but rather their own personal moral and ethical choices regarding such things.
"The Ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy...”
-Martin Luther King
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Last edited by Roadster on Jun 24th, 2016, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

http://islam.about.com/cs/divisions/f/shia_sunni.htm

It seems to be the basic level of "Since I'm right you must be wrong".
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”