Any Catholics here?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
GardenMum
Board Meister

Any Catholics here?

Post by GardenMum »

That do attend church?
Cearenius

Post by Cearenius »

This is a tiny bit off topic, but what is the difference between a Catholic, and a Christian?
Pure black from the inside out.
GardenMum
Board Meister

Post by GardenMum »

Alot when it's regarding I question i want to ask them :12077:
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Cearenius wrote:.... what is the difference between a Catholic and a Christian?

Is this a joke?? :129: Just in case it is - "I don't know, what IS the difference between a Catholic and a Christian?" :12077:

And just in case it ISN'T.... A brief, but by no means accurate, overview of what I was taught whilst being dragged up as one: Roman Catholics are Christians and actually consider themselves the 'correct' or 'original' church of Jesus; they believe Peter, one of the 12 Disciples, was the first Pope - Jesus chose him to be the 'solid foundation' for his new church (Peter means 'rock', see?). Catholics believe in 7 Holy Sacraments - a few more than many other Christian religions, also that the Communion bread & wine actually become the body & blood of Christ during a Mass. The Pope is the Head of the Catholic Church, with only male Cardinals, Bishops, Priests, etc, beneath him, none of whom can marry as women are generally bad (the instigator in the Garden of Eden was Eve, right?) so women are generally considered seductresses, except of course for 'Our Lady', Mary who is idolised & prayed to regularly because she was a 'Virgin'. Catholicism strongly objects to contraception, abortion, sex before marriage & divorce. One must regularly confess their sins to their Priest & atone by saying the Hail Mary and Our Father approx 15 times in a row. Catholics believe we are all born of 'original sin', therefore should a poor little innocent baby die before it is Christened, it cannot possibly go to Heaven. Oh yeah, and for some reason, in order to be a good Catholic, you must eat fish for your supper on a Friday nite...? :129:

And therein lie all the reasons why I am now of the 'non-practising' variety! Never liked fish much anyway.... :127:
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
Cearenius

Post by Cearenius »

Ok.... so basically being a christian means less strict rules? and women are ok?

Still a little confused.
Pure black from the inside out.
GardenMum
Board Meister

Post by GardenMum »

Well i guess my question won't be answered....carry on :124:
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

ktown, I am not Catholic, but have studied various religions indepth. If you would care to ask the question, perhaps I can answer it. :124:
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Cearenius wrote:Ok.... so basically being a christian means less strict rules? and women are ok? Still a little confused.

Catholics are Christians, in fact Catholicism is probably the oldest Christian religion :132:. Hundreds of subsequent Christian religions have evolved that vary on certain aspects - some allow their Clergy to marry, some allow divorce or contraception, some ordain women, etc. Some Christian religions teach literal meanings of the Bible, whereas Catholicism does not. Some Christian religions choose to only have 2 or 3 Sacraments, etc. The vast number of Christian religions are due to the Bible being reinterpreted in many different ways. Or in some cases, Catholicism just needed to be adjusted slightly, for example, Henry VIII created & made himself Head of the 'Church of England' as the Pope wouldn't allow him to get divorced!
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
BriTer
Guru

Re: Any Catholics here?

Post by BriTer »

ktownmomof2 wrote:That do attend church?

Why? You keep lions??? :129:
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re: Any Catholics here?

Post by eyepop »

ktownmomof2 wrote:Any Catholics here? That do attend church?

i don't attend regularly.

i like to go on Good Friday though and every so often, Midnight Mass.

i am curious as to your question.

Post by eyepop »

Cearenius wrote:This is a tiny bit off topic, but what is the difference between a Catholic, and a Christian?

well religion itself is like the NHL.

.and christianity and islam and hinduism and judaism and buddhism are like the conferences.

within each conference are teams and that's where catholicism fit in.

it's like a team within the christian conference. (presbyterian is another team within the christian conference)

sunnis and shiites are teams within the islamic/muslim conference.

right now, the world is in the last half of the season gearing up for the playoffs.

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

eyepop wrote:
Cearenius wrote:This is a tiny bit off topic, but what is the difference between a Catholic, and a Christian?

well religion itself is like the NHL.

.and christianity and islam and hinduism and judaism and buddhism are like the conferences.

within each conference are teams and that's where catholicism fit in.

it's like a team within the christian conference. (presbyterian is another team within the christian conference)

sunnis and shiites are teams within the islamic/muslim conference.

right now, the world is in the last half of the season gearing up for the playoffs.

Wow... how fitting an analogy! :124: Last half of the season... I agree!
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

kccayenne wrote:... how fitting an analogy! ..

hehe, that was kinda clever.

while the main competition for the Cup is between conferences, (to claim domination of the 'League'), there's some fierce rivalries within each conference too.

then there's cerealkiller that doesn't even like hockey, and me: a fairly good hockey player that likes a non-contact pick-up game every now and then.

for the most part, i've hung up my sweater.

Post by Funky Dog »

I'm still waiting for the question.
By posting on this forum you grant the Castanet website to use anything you post, in any way they see fit.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

Funky Dog wrote:I'm still waiting for the question.

kMom hasn't posted since Wed Nov 22, 2006.

i emailed her that her thread has been 'resurrected'.
she might return.
..maybe in 3 days.

(she may just want to know how much WE put in the collection plate)

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”