What is forgiveness? and when we should never do it.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Thinktank
Guru

What is forgiveness? and when we should never do it.

Post by Thinktank »

Christians talk a lot about forgiveness - but it's mostly just talk. I don't think
many Christians even know what forgiveness means.

What is forgivenss?

When a family member or a friend does something that causes us harm, and it makes no sense,
forgiveness is when we try to figure out why they did it. When we can't come up with a reason, we
just leave it - because the people are friends or family. That's forgiveness. Like when you were
a kid and one of the questions on a test was really difficult - leave it unanswered. Blank. That's forgiveness.

When should we never forgive someone?

When an enemy does something to cause us harm, we should never forgive that person. We will find enemies
in any group of people - they are everywhere, but especially in churches. When someone forgives his enemies,
that is a huge mistake, because they will just do it again, and again, an again. Usually with an enemy, it's
best to have nothing to do with them. Just stay away from wherever they will be. :runforlife:
And like the Jews say - NEVER FORGET.

I hope this explanation of forgiveness has been helpful.

:sunshine:
“In the entire history of mankind there has never been a political elite sincerely concerned about the wellbeing of regular people. What makes any of us think that it is different now?”
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: What is forgiveness? and when we should never do it.

Post by kibbs »

Forgiveness is accepting people for who they are and not believing you can change them.
You don't have to like them or agree with them or ever talk to them.You just have to accept they exist and that's all.
Give way to their way unless they hurt others then get in their way.
When you forgive someone who has done great harm.You accept that this bad person exists .You don't let your hatred eat you .
You do what you can to get justice,If something has not already been done. Karma can be just .
Peace be with you.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bib ... r-Enemies/

your version seems to be different from these bible quotes
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

There's also the thought that forgiveness is is a way to rid ourselves of anger and resentment, toxic emotions that can take their toll on our own peace of mind if we carry it too long.
I just want some credible articles to back up my conspiracy theory but I can't find any. Must be censorship.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

your version seems to be different from these bible quotes

Of course they are near 2000 years old and have been translated umpteen times with an authoritarian skew.look deeper its the same.Love and acceptance,
Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

27 Neither give place to the devil.

To me this says don't let them turn you into someone evil ,chill but give them nothing .
When you love your brother you do it by showing the right way by example.
preach the gospel use words if necessary.
Peace be with you.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

People highly underestimate the damage that carrying a lot of negative emotion can do in a lot of aspects, emotional. physical, and especially spiritual. Forgiveness is handy tool to deal with these burdens.

"Preaching" carries it own risks though. While giving help when none has been asked for is largely a waste of time as it's just going to come off as so much meddling, on a more personal level it does tend to exact a toll in ones social standing.
I just want some credible articles to back up my conspiracy theory but I can't find any. Must be censorship.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

"Preaching" carries it own risks though.

When I say preach by example.I mean to live a good life.Do for others .Show those who have wronged you the right way.
The best revenge is success.
Soap box style preaching is for church ,religious forums and the downtown streets of major cities.
You always forgive it allows you to move forward and drop baggage.Its a gift for you.
Peace be with you.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

-fluffy- wrote:People highly underestimate the damage that carrying a lot of negative emotion can do in a lot of aspects, emotional. physical, and especially spiritual. Forgiveness is handy tool to deal with these burdens.

Exactly. Forgiveness is a personal release mechanism. It has nothing to do with the person being forgiven, unless we are forgiving ourselves. Harbouring animosity toward anybody is detrimental to our well being.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”