Does the bible teach us to keep secrets?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Thinktank
Guru

Does the bible teach us to keep secrets?

Post by Thinktank »

But when you give alms, let not your left hand know what your right hand does:

first of all, what is an alm?

And second of all, why are we supposed to be secretive when we give these alms?

Does not the bible tell us:
Luke 8:17 KJV
For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad .

And I have another question:
When I was going to church faithfully, every week for three years in a row, and I lost all my money
because of a combination of crooked weasels in church, and disastrous conditions for farming,
how come the church people never gave me a cent? Does anyone know the answer to that one?
“In the entire history of mankind there has never been a political elite sincerely concerned about the wellbeing of regular people. What makes any of us think that it is different now?”
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Does the bible teach us to keep secrets?

Post by fluffy »

Thinktank wrote:...first of all, what is an alm?

And second of all, why are we supposed to be secretive when we give these alms?

An alm is a gift to the poor, charity if you will. I think the second part speaks to motivation, charitable works done with the intent of having others take notice are less charity and more self promotion.
I just want some credible articles to back up my conspiracy theory but I can't find any. Must be censorship.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

you cant interpret from one verse give us that paragraph from which you removed it from.

You keep saying the church or people therin have wronged you.i am curious to the details of the event .Show us your pain and maybe we can help you move on,if that is what you want.
Did you ask for help?It usually takes a little humility to get it.
I've never had anyone just offer me financial help. Ok when I first went and me and the boys were hurtin ,they gave us 100 at Christmas.
Not from the church but the small congregation passed the hat.
My little church always falls short for money but some one always steps up to make ends meet

16 “No one lights a lamp and hides it in a clay jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, they put it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light. 17 For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open. 18 Therefore consider carefully how you listen. Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what they think they have will be taken from them.”
When you read scripture you must understand what a metaphor is.

This is saying not to hide good work.If you have faith you will be rewarded .If you don't believe in the power in yourself you will lose everything.
Last edited by kibbs on Mar 11th, 2013, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace be with you.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

kibbs wrote:

This is saying not to hide good work. If you have faith you will be rewarded .If you don't believe in the power in yourself you will lose everything.

But isn't putting your work on display for others' "approval" prideful and self-serving? I would think if one were seeking a moral lesson in that passage it would be more to the tune of bearers of dark secrets will eventually be found out.
I just want some credible articles to back up my conspiracy theory but I can't find any. Must be censorship.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

But isn't putting your work on display for others' "approval" prideful and self-serving

You'd think but its all in the intent.You know if your bragging or setting an example.If you are looking for praise ,the former,If you are showing the right way for others to follow the latter.
Peace be with you.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

But doesn't even "setting an example" have a degree of "look at me" in it? Self-righteousness can be suspect in itself, it indicates an agenda other than that of giving help to those in need.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

With the Bible, context is everything.
The first scripture deals with alms i.e. good works, which should be kept between the individual and God. If a show is made of a person’s prayer, fasting, alms-giving etc. in seeking recognition and glory from men, “they have their reward in full.” In other words, their reward is sought of men, not God; it’s an act of self-righteousness.

The second deals with “light” i.e. truth, love, joy, etc. which should not be hidden or covered up but allowed to shine and be shared with others.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

But doesn't even "setting an example" have a degree of "look at me" in it?

Again it s your intent. Doin good work and setting an example is what its all about.
Because some might judge you as self righteous is no reason to stop.
When I do good work I feel no pride its makes me feel like I'm on the right path.
My reward is the smooth ride I get being on the right one.
Peace be with you.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

OREZs' take is the biblical one that puts the focus on God

Kibbs' take is the New-Age one that puts the focus on self

OREZ wins

His prize is the coveted "MOST HUMBLE" medal

... which will be taken away the moment he puts it on.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

Which leads right into another big question, is god an external force or something generated from within?
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Quantum mechanics asks the question: Does anything exist without the observer? Are we observers or the observed? If you are the one observing, everything is then dependent on its existence by you observing. You create the hologram that is your daily reality. You are your own god.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Thinktank
Guru

Post by Thinktank »

kibbs wrote:Ok when I first went and me and the boys were hurtin ,they gave us 100 at Christmas.
Not from the church but the small congregation passed the hat.

A Jewish rabbi in some small town in Israel is worth $300 million. That's almost 1/3 of a billion.
The Catholic church must be worth $billions.
The Jehova's Witnesses have real estate in New York worth hundreds of $millions of dollars
and the Mormons also must be worth $billions.

My question is this:
I a small church in Kelowna or Penticton suddenly receives a big donation - is it okay for that
church to INVEST the money in something that will make MORE money, like real estate or stocks?

That's my question. How do churches work - with the money they get?
“In the entire history of mankind there has never been a political elite sincerely concerned about the wellbeing of regular people. What makes any of us think that it is different now?”
Thinktank
Guru

Post by Thinktank »

Thinktank wrote:That's my question. How do churches work - with the money they get?

The reason I ask this question - is most people keep their money situation secret - including churches.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

Christ threw the money changers OUT of the temple thus setting the example that merchant transactions have no place in worship.

100% of religions fall short in this regard. Money = secular and isn't anywhere close to being a component of spirituality. It's been shown by research that early, true, Christians met in small groups likely inside individual homes, sans temple/church. Once apostasy set in within that first century, all was lost to the secular/pagan love of money and tradition.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

-fluffy- wrote:Which leads right into another big question, is god an external force or something generated from within?

I believe it's something generated from within.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”