Homosexuality is an abomination to god?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
coffeeFreak
Guru
Posts: 5302
Joined: Oct 22nd, 2009, 6:06 pm

Re: Homosexuality is an abomination to god, but so is...

Post by coffeeFreak »

["sunshine11"]Most Christians have never read the Bible as a BOOK, you know from the beginning to the end, so they haven't a clue what the story is except what the minister/priest tells them by sewing together a disparate collection of verses all taken out of context and creating a religious spin.



The Bible is not just one book, but an entire library, with stories, songs, poetry, letters and history, as well as literature that might more obviously qualify as 'religious'.
The Christian Bible has two sections, the Old Testament and the New Testament. The Old Testament is the original Hebrew Bible, the sacred scriptures of the Jewish faith, written at different times between about 1200 and 165 BC. The New Testament books were written by Christians in the first century AD.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/texts/bible.shtml
sunshine11
Newbie
Posts: 64
Joined: Dec 7th, 2008, 11:48 am

Re: Homosexuality is an abomination to god, but so is...

Post by sunshine11 »

This post was removed by the author since it did not meet posting rules (contained all caps) as evidenced below
NOT A BOOK?
WEEDED
OBSOLETE,
IRRELEVANT
WEEDING.
Last edited by sunshine11 on Apr 8th, 2013, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 24710
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Homosexuality is an abomination to god, but so is...

Post by fluffy »

sunshine11 wrote:...then as is regularly done in a library, large amounts are WEEDED out as OBSOLETE, IRRELEVANT and too old. There goes a good deal of it then, and it is agreed what is called the Bible is in serious need of WEEDING.


I'm not quite sure who agreed to what here, but I doubt you'll ever see something as historically relevant as the bible get "weeded out". Keeping it in it's original (although in this case the term "original" is subject to much discussion in itself) condition provides important insight into the period in which it was authored. As with any book, it is the readers' responsibility to decide for themselves just how significant a role the content will play in their lives.
I just want some credible articles to back up my conspiracy theory but I can't find any. Must be censorship.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Homosexuality is an abomination to god, but so is...

Post by steven lloyd »

-fluffy- wrote: I'm not quite sure who agreed to what here, but I doubt you'll ever see something as historically relevant as the bible get "weeded out". Keeping it in it's original (although in this case the term "original" is subject to much discussion in itself) condition provides important insight into the period in which it was authored. As with any book, it is the readers' responsibility to decide for themselves just how significant a role the content will play in their lives.

Agreed. As you’ve properly pointed out here is much insight into an understanding of the times contained within the Bible. The problem lies not only with each reader taking responsibility to decide for themselves just how significant a role the content will play in their lives, but to interpret the writings within their historical context. One example I’ve referred to before is the quote of “sparing the rod and spoiling the child” to justify corporeal punishment being used on children. In historical context one realizes that most people at that time and place were sheep herders who used long curved rods to guide their herds. Thus, the true meaning of the quote refers to spoiling the child by not providing guidance.

Another thing many people fail to acknowledge (in spite of the fact it is clearly stated in the preface of the New English Bible) is that much of the stories in the Old Testament were finally written after first being passed down from generation to generation through oral tradition. Far for the actual “word of God”, these are the words of men that illustrate their understanding of God at that time. Between the Old and New Testament we can see how that understanding evolved – or do some people really think it was God who evolved? Homosexuality is not an abomination to God. Homosexuality was/is an abomination to some people – a number that grows less as we evolve and slowly become less ignorant.
User avatar
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10195
Joined: Aug 22nd, 2012, 7:13 pm

Re: Homosexuality is an abomination to god, but so is...

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

steven lloyd wrote: Far for the actual “word of God”, these are the words of men that illustrate their understanding of God at that time. Between the Old and New Testament we can see how that understanding evolved – or do some people really think it was God who evolved? Homosexuality is not an abomination to God. Homosexuality was/is an abomination to some people – a number that grows less as we evolve and slowly become less ignorant.


Exactly .. how can God abominate his own creation ? The Bible was not written by God but by mere mortals.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Homosexuality is an abomination to god, but so is...

Post by cliffy1 »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:Exactly .. how can God abominate his own creation ? The Bible was not written by God but by mere mortals.

Ah, but... they will argue, those mortals were divinely inspired. Logic will never dislodge blind faith. Like the murderer or rapist who justifies his actions in order to live with himself, those of blind faith will justify their belief in the unjustifiable and unbelievable.

It makes me wonder why some are capable of critical thought while others are not. Is there an extra gene or a missing one?
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 24710
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Homosexuality is an abomination to god, but so is...

Post by fluffy »

cliffy1 wrote:It makes me wonder why some are capable of critical thought while others are not. Is there an extra gene or a missing one?


This discussion is a hot property these days, with a theory being proposed that we are in fact, genetically hardwired for spiritual belief. Research is showing that religious and spiritual thoughts have a particular effect on a select few genes in human DNA that control the release of a select few chemicals in the brain. The same effect is generated by meditation. Do a google search on "God gene" or "VMAT2".
I just want some credible articles to back up my conspiracy theory but I can't find any. Must be censorship.
User avatar
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10195
Joined: Aug 22nd, 2012, 7:13 pm

Re: Homosexuality is an abomination to god, but so is...

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

-fluffy- wrote: with a theory being proposed that we are in fact, genetically hardwired for spiritual belief.


That makes sense. You know what they say .. " you are the spiritual being you have been waiting for ".
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Homosexuality is an abomination to god, but so is...

Post by steven lloyd »

-fluffy- wrote: This discussion is a hot property these days, with a theory being proposed that we are in fact, genetically hardwired for spiritual belief. Research is showing that religious and spiritual thoughts have a particular effect on a select few genes in human DNA that control the release of a select few chemicals in the brain. The same effect is generated by meditation. Do a google search on "God gene" or "VMAT2".

However, a predisposition to entertain and even embrace spiritual notions should not be automatically associated with an inability to engage in critical thought. Let’s not confuse spiritual exploration with the rigid interpretation of writings that are thousands of years old. In fact, the greater the capacity a person has for critical thought the more willing he/she is to acknowledge there might be something else going on here and to openly engage in some exploratory tactics (such as prayer and meditation, for example).
WhatThe

Re: Homosexuality is an abomination to god, but so is...

Post by WhatThe »

I watched The Life of Pi last night. Interesting movie and worth watching for the entertainment value. What I found interesting was the end. Spoiler alert, if you havent watched it skip past this post.



























Pi said, "I've told you two stories, which one do you prefer?"
Writer, "The first." refering to the fanatastical version and not the story told to authorities.
Pi, "And so it goes with God".

Me, "And so it goes with people who are afraid of the unknown".
I've felt for a long time that our homind ancestors would always view natural occurances as signs of gods. The more sophisticated we became the more reasons we needed to reconcile our place in the world and to seek comfort from the unknown. For some the unknown is frightening and for others a wanted deep need to believe they will see loved ones again fall into the above position while others yet feel this existance is all we get and are more fascinated by the unknown than afraid.
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16288
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am

Re: Homosexuality is an abomination to god, but so is...

Post by Nebula »

steven lloyd wrote:In fact, the greater the capacity a person has for critical thought the more willing he/she is to acknowledge there might be something else going on here and to openly engage in some exploratory tactics (such as prayer and meditation, for example).

Some would argue the exact opposite, that critical thought leads to the acknowledgement that there is nothing going on here.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Homosexuality is an abomination to god, but so is...

Post by steven lloyd »

Nebula wrote: Some would argue the exact opposite, that critical thought leads to the acknowledgement that there is nothing going on here.

Maybe - but it could also be argued that once such a conclusion has been reached, thought has stopped.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 24710
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Homosexuality is an abomination to god, but so is...

Post by fluffy »

True Steven. The little reading I have done on the subject tends to lean toward activity in particular parts of the brain (stimulated by thoughts of a particular nature) giving rise to increases in positive emotions and creativity as well as feelings of serenity and even ecstasy, and suppression of negative emotions.

Wasn't it Karl Marx who said something about religion being the opiate of the masses? He may have been on to something.
I just want some credible articles to back up my conspiracy theory but I can't find any. Must be censorship.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Homosexuality is an abomination to god, but so is...

Post by steven lloyd »

I found something you quoted earlier in another thread that I really liked and wanted to report it here:

-fluffy- wrote: I think I've always had a feeling that there is something tying this whole mess together on a level other than physical, but I never could get along with the concept of some sort of cosmic consciousness at the helm so to speak. I was more comfortable with how some wise old guy once described it as "It surrounds us, it penetrates us, it binds the universe together." Call it what you want, but "God" is real easy to spell and it only has one syllable.
Last edited by steven lloyd on Apr 7th, 2013, 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 24710
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Homosexuality is an abomination to god, but so is...

Post by fluffy »

Hehe, caught me with my Obiwan showing. Once a geek...
I just want some credible articles to back up my conspiracy theory but I can't find any. Must be censorship.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”