Freedom from religion is a human right

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
sunshine11

Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by sunshine11 »

This post was removed by the author since it did not meet posting rules (contained all caps) and contained formating that users here thought excessive (using coloured text).

Sorry. Without support, I'll take my ideas elsewhere.

:sunshine:
Last edited by sunshine11 on Apr 8th, 2013, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Re: FREEDOM FROM RELIGION IS A HUMAN RIGHT

Post by averagejoe »

You an atheist?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

sunshine11 wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREEDOM FROM RELIGION IS A HUMAN RIGHT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wrong. There is a monumental difference between the word OF and FROM. FREEDOM OF RELIGION IS A HUMAN RIGHT, and that includes the freedom to practice no religion.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I don't think anybody is forcing you into any sort of religion. Don't want to participate, then don't.

PS: It's "shiites", not "shites".
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Especially after Taco Bell.
Let’s play “Spot the Putin Patsy”
sunshine11

Post by sunshine11 »

averagejoe wrote:You an atheist?

Nope
sunshine11

Post by sunshine11 »

Glacier wrote:Wrong. There is a monumental difference between the word OF and FROM. FREEDOM OF RELIGION IS A HUMAN RIGHT, and that includes the freedom to practice no religion.

This post was removed by the author since it did not meet posting rules (contained all caps) and contained formating that users here thought excessive (using coloured text).
Last edited by sunshine11 on Apr 8th, 2013, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

sunshine11 wrote:I know. That is the typical response to this proposal. Yet you have failed to address the essential difference between "of" and "from."
Freedom OF religion means that I have the right to demand that my secular society ban abortion and gay marriage. It means that I can demand that public services be restricted on holy days. It means that I can persecute a religious minority for eating cow with impunity.
BUT
Freedom FROM religion means that all the above are abuses of your human rights if I attempt to FORCE my religious beliefs onto you.

No, Freedom OF religion means you are allowed to practice or not practice anything you want.

Muslims demanding that no one be allowed criticize Islam is not freedom of religion, rather, that is freedom FROM religion. In their case, freedom from hearing anyone criticize their religion. This is wrong. Everyone should be allowed to both proselytize their beliefs as well as be proselytized to by others of a different persuasion. What you are saying when you want freedom FROM religion is essentially the same thing that the Muslims are saying when they demand that no one be allowed to criticize Islam.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
zzontar
Guru

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by zzontar »

Vegetarians have the choice of not eating meat, yet it would be foolish for them to insist there cannot be TV commercials trying to push burgers or steaks.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I'd like freedom from religion to mean all religions are banned by law.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

grammafreddy wrote:I'd like freedom from religion to mean all religions are banned by law.

Also, people over 30. I always liked Logan's Run.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
sunshine11

Post by sunshine11 »

Glacier wrote:No, Freedom OF religion means you are allowed to practice or not practice anything you want.
Muslims demanding that no one be allowed criticize Islam is not freedom of religion, rather, that is freedom FROM religion. In their case, freedom from hearing anyone criticize their religion. This is wrong. Everyone should be allowed to both proselytize their beliefs as well as be proselytized to by others of a different persuasion. What you are saying when you want freedom FROM religion is essentially the same thing that the Muslims are saying when they demand that no one be allowed to criticize Islam.

Last edited by sunshine11 on Apr 8th, 2013, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

COERCION is illegal, so it goes without saying that you have freedom from that (be it religious coercion or secular coercion). Islamic countries do not have freedom of religion. I suggest you do a little more investigating on what freedom of religion means.
- Douglas Murray
sunshine11

Post by sunshine11 »

Last edited by sunshine11 on Apr 8th, 2013, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

LOL. Troll much?

Why stop at religious coercion? Why not have freedom from all coercision? Persecution and murder are already illegal in this country, so why you feel the need to make this a human right (but only if done by religious people) is beyond me.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”