Freedom from religion is a human right

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
sunshine11
Newbie
Posts: 64
Joined: Dec 7th, 2008, 11:48 am

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by sunshine11 »

Glacier, I am getting the feeling that you are not reading nor comprehending what I am saying here, or are being facetious.

I repeat, BECAUSE it is obviously a serious problem around the world. Banning "coercion" would be akin to banning stupidity or a war on terrorism, impossible impractible and subject to all kinds of abuses. How could a police officer operate if coercion was removed from his toolkit? Could you legally jail anyone if such a thing existed? Facepalm
User avatar
coffeeFreak
Guru
Posts: 5302
Joined: Oct 22nd, 2009, 6:06 pm

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by coffeeFreak »

*off-topic/Jo*
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by grammafreddy »

*off-topic/Jo*
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by cliffy1 »

*off-topic/Jo*
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
Sneaksuit
Board Meister
Posts: 460
Joined: Mar 16th, 2007, 12:34 pm

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by Sneaksuit »

Sunshine, I'm pickin up what your puttin down but I agree with Glacier's sarcastic? remark "why stop at religious coercion". Shouldn't we abolish all superstitious ideological coercion, such as Harper's religious-like beliefs that tougher sentencing reduces crime or that marijuana is bad? Any policy not grounded in science or academia in general is just belief, and therefore religious.
sunshine11
Newbie
Posts: 64
Joined: Dec 7th, 2008, 11:48 am

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by sunshine11 »

"Unfortunately the UN has about much power as Queen has on Canada.... all symbolic that's it, with few puppet masters USA, Russia & China... minor role Great Britain"

(This was PM-ed to me by someone who would prefer to remain anonymous. I feel the comment is relevant and significant to the conversation, so I posted it here with their permission.)
:sunshine:
sunshine11
Newbie
Posts: 64
Joined: Dec 7th, 2008, 11:48 am

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by sunshine11 »

This post was removed by the author since it contained formating that users here thought excessive (using coloured text).
Last edited by sunshine11 on Apr 8th, 2013, 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2945
Joined: Oct 30th, 2012, 9:04 am

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by kibbs »

Should we ban parents from passing on their religion onto children.Should we take away everyones right to the congregate in a spiritual way .
I think it was tried in communist Russia and religion came back with such a vengeance they put kitty riot in jail.
I think the words go "God keep our land glorious and FREE.Oh Canada we stand on guard for thee."
Peace be with you.
sunshine11
Newbie
Posts: 64
Joined: Dec 7th, 2008, 11:48 am

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by sunshine11 »

deleted by :sunshine:
Last edited by sunshine11 on Apr 8th, 2013, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35517
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by Glacier »

Sunshine, tell us about the last time you were coerced.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
sunshine11
Newbie
Posts: 64
Joined: Dec 7th, 2008, 11:48 am

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by sunshine11 »

This post was removed by the author since it did not meet posting rules (contained all caps)
Last edited by sunshine11 on Apr 8th, 2013, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Sneaksuit
Board Meister
Posts: 460
Joined: Mar 16th, 2007, 12:34 pm

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by Sneaksuit »

sunshine11 wrote:Sneaksuit, please reread my answer to Glacier, as the reply is the same to your position. I appreciate that you "get" what I am putting down. But how does a real response to a real world-wide problem compare to some facetious war on nouns or banning silliness?


Sunshine, I understand your frustration of unclear language with this issue.

I agree with the problems you mention of people suffering and dying because of other people's religious beliefs. No doubt it should be stopped and it can't happen fast enough. The point I was making about political parties forcing their unfounded beliefs on citizens is as serious because it too results in much suffering and death. But judging by posts in this forum where religion is relentlessly attacked, this is often overlooked because many of the same posters defend Canada's politics in their next post in a different forum.
User avatar
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 24998
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2008, 5:06 pm

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by Captain Awesome »

sunshine11 wrote:Or am I allowed to argue for the HUMAN RIGHTS of ALL people in this world?


Is anyone arguing AGAINST human rights of all people in this world?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
sunshine11
Newbie
Posts: 64
Joined: Dec 7th, 2008, 11:48 am

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by sunshine11 »

This post was removed by the author since it did not meet posting rules (contained all caps) and contained formatting that users here thought excessive (using Blood Red coloured text).

Sorry. Without support, I'll take my ideas elsewhere.
Last edited by sunshine11 on Apr 8th, 2013, 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Sneaksuit
Board Meister
Posts: 460
Joined: Mar 16th, 2007, 12:34 pm

Re: Freedom from religion is a human right

Post by Sneaksuit »

sunshine11 wrote:Okay, I'll bite: Banning political discourse is silly. Just because it is "not grounded in science or academia in general" does not mean it should be banned.

Please refrain from putting words in my mouth, banning political discourse was not mentioned.

sunshine11 wrote:Harper was elected to represent his party's platform to the citizens of Canada,[/u] so his position on imprisonment and marijuana is legitimate, if foolish.

Ofcourse Harper's position is legitimate but only because it's legal. What's your point? Does the legal and thus legitimate suffering and death caused by other people's religious beliefs make you content? Legitimacy in the sense of legality is and always has been irrelevant to change.

sunshine11 wrote:Do we ban foolishness?

Not foolishness, but as I truly said "unfounded", "superstitious" policies. How is that distinct from your view of religious belief?
Last edited by Sneaksuit on Apr 6th, 2013, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”