Sex in the Bible

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
AnotherMrE

Sex in the Bible

Post by AnotherMrE »

The bible refers to sex as "knowing" in various places. The fruit that Eve ate was from the Tree of "Knowledge" (of good and evil). Do you think there is some relationship between the idea of this tree and the "knowing" as a sexual metaphor?
cliffy1
Übergod

Re: Sex in the Bible

Post by cliffy1 »

And what about beget? There was all kinds of begetting going on in the bible. That sounds like a code word for sex to me.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Isn't it begat?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Here are a few interesting ones:

AnotherMrE

Post by AnotherMrE »

I think the begat comes about nine months after the "knowing", wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

That link begs the question:

So what is so wrong about teaching about sex in schools??? They've already covered almost half of it in Sunday School....
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Does that mean Jesus was the result of begatulate conception?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

AnotherMrE wrote:The bible refers to sex as "knowing" in various places. The fruit that Eve ate was from the Tree of "Knowledge" (of good and evil). Do you think there is some relationship between the idea of this tree and the "knowing" as a sexual metaphor?

Funny, but a 30 second search on the internet would satisfy your question, and find that it's not as exciting as we'd all hope.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lex ... 847&t=KJV#

coffeeFreak wrote:Here are a few interesting ones:

Bible stories and history in general ain't pretty. I don’t think us Canadians have much of a leg up on the Hebrews. We forcibly removed children from the families with many of them being violated by priests.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
AnotherMrE

Post by AnotherMrE »

Glacier wrote:[Funny, but a 30 second search on the internet would satisfy your question, and find that it's not as exciting as we'd all hope.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lex ... 847&t=KJV#

Actually that just tells me they used different words for knowledge vs know(ing), it doesn't tell me if YOU think there is a relationship between them. Sometimes they refer to "laying with" and sometimes "knowing" to mean sex...maybe there's something to it, maybe not..

I think there may be a connection in the wacky fundy doctrine of the serpent seed or the line of Cain stuff.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

They are two different words that get translated as the same word in English, but with different meanings. We call these types of words homonyms. The Hebrew word used in Genesis chapter two is da`ath, whereas the word used in Genesis 38 (he knew her) is yada` (or יָדַע). http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lex ... 3045&t=KJV

P.S. Isn't the "snake" supposed to be a metaphor for Satan?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
AnotherMrE

Post by AnotherMrE »

Glacier wrote:They are two different words that get translated as the same word in English, but with different meanings. We call these types of words homonyms. The Hebrew word used in Genesis chapter two is da`ath, whereas the word used in Genesis 38 (he knew her) is yada` (or יָדַע). http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lex ... 3045&t=KJV

P.S. Isn't the "snake" supposed to be a metaphor for Satan?

Well, I can't help but think of Elaine on Seinfeld with her skipping the details of sex with "yada, yada, yada".

About the whole snake thing yeah I think so, the whole serpent seed thing has been used by some wacky fundys to give biblical credence to their racism by suggesting Cain was "begat" by Eve and the serpent (Satan) and thus the people that the fundy group hate are the descendents of Cain's line.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”