Do you believe in Hell

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
krguy2013

Do you believe in Hell

Post by krguy2013 »

Do all Christians believe in hell?
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Do you believe in Hell

Post by kgcayenne »

No!
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

All Christians do not believe in hell. I don't.

(Most of the sort of imagery commonly associated with "hell" comes from writers like Dante, Plato, and ancient pagan beliefs)
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

If there are no consequences in religion, what is the point in obedience to god?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

WhatThe wrote:If there are no consequences in religion, what is the point in obedience to god?

One can choose to listen to God and become close to him or one can choose to be without him. Not having a relationship with him is a big minus to many. I would never want to be alienated from him.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

WhatThe wrote:If there are no consequences in religion, what is the point in obedience to god?

Well, of course religion is generally full of consequences - nasty consequences. lol.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Hmmm wrote:One can choose to listen to God and become close to him or one can choose to be without him. Not having a relationship with him is a big minus to many. I would never want to be alienated from him.

I like this comment. ^^^
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Hmmm wrote:One can choose to listen to God and become close to him or one can choose to be without him. Not having a relationship with him is a big minus to many. I would never want to be alienated from him.

That doesn't answer the question. What are the consequences of not listening or being close to god? Being without him?
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

OREZ wrote:Well, of course religion is generally full of consequences - nasty consequences. lol.

It is, but again, if there is no hell what is there?
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

WhatThe wrote:It is, but again, if there is no hell what is there?

Zits, tooth decay, baldness, athlete's foot.

Is there a hell? Hell ya! But it is of our own making, right here in this lifetime.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Your answer depends on many things, such as what religious teaching do you follow if any? Muslims, Jews, Christians, Hindus,Sikhs all have different beliefs in the afterlife, including Hell. Of course catholics don't believe in it anymore, not that the average catholic knew that. pope changed it a while back..said no hellfire exists.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

WhatThe wrote:It is, but again, if there is no hell what is there?

Why do you think there should to be something to replace hell? Where does this idea of eternal torment come from? Where do we get the word hell? What are it's origins and has even the meaning of the word hell changed since it was (inconsistently and incorrectly) translated this way?

I believe in the salvation of all. Of course, this is a problem for some because A/ it doesn't give them the right to boast about how good they are compared to everyone else, B/ It would seem that they will have to share the afterlife with... wait for it... SINNERS, ohmygosh!
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

OREZ wrote:I believe in the salvation of all.

"Depart from me, i never knew you...

...ha ha, just kidding!"
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

cliffy1 wrote:Is there a hell? Hell ya! But it is of our own making, right here in this lifetime.

This makes perfect sense to me. What if the Bible was written to be metaphorical in nature, never meant to be taken literally at all ? That could mean all the writings about heaven and hell refer not to an afterlife but to our mortal lives in the here and now. A moral, righteous life can be rewarded with a peaceful life, full of wonder and joy (heaven) while an immoral and dishonest life will likely result in a life of fear, anger and shame (hell).
I just want some credible articles to back up my conspiracy theory but I can't find any. Must be censorship.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Why do you think there should to be something to replace hell? Where does this idea of eternal torment come from? Where do we get the word hell? What are it's origins and has even the meaning of the word hell changed since it was (inconsistently and incorrectly) translated this way?

I don't actually believe in such an idea. The concept of eternal torment based on deeds in a corporeal existence rife with all its faults, trappings and failings, a cosmic blink of an eye compared to eternity, cannot in any way be reconciled with a god that is purported to be about love and sacrifice.

OREZ wrote:I believe in the salvation of all. Of course, this is a problem for some because A/ it doesn't give them the right to boast about how good they are compared to everyone else, B/ It would seem that they will have to share the afterlife with... wait for it... SINNERS, ohmygosh!

What I'm trying to ask is if there is no reason to be "good" and only "reward" at the "end", why bother being good at all? Through Jesus we are promised "heaven", a reward for our reciprocated love and obedience. Are we not to be judged? And if found wanting where does one go? The best explanation Ive ever heard is that hell is simply the absence of god, left out in the cold so to speak. Again though, that is not reconcilable with a loving creator.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”