We Invented Jesus Christ

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

We Invented Jesus Christ

Post by JLives »

Source: http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11201273.htm

Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'
Biblical scholars will be appearing at the 'Covert Messiah' Conference at Conway Hall in London on the 19th of October to present this controversial discovery to the British public.

American Biblical scholar Joseph Atwill will be appearing before the British public for the first time in London on the 19th of October to present a controversial new discovery: ancient confessions recently uncovered now prove, according to Atwill, that the New Testament was written by first-century Roman aristocrats and that they fabricated the entire story of Jesus Christ. His presentation will be part of a one-day symposium entitled "Covert Messiah" at Conway Hall in Holborn (full details can be found at http://www.covertmessiah.com).

Although to many scholars his theory seems outlandish, and is sure to upset some believers, Atwill regards his evidence as conclusive and is confident its acceptance is only a matter of time. "I present my work with some ambivalence, as I do not want to directly cause Christians any harm," he acknowledges, "but this is important for our culture. Alert citizens need to know the truth about our past so we can understand how and why governments create false histories and false gods. They often do it to obtain a social order that is against the best interests of the common people."

Atwill asserts that Christianity did not really begin as a religion, but a sophisticated government project, a kind of propaganda exercise used to pacify the subjects of the Roman Empire. "Jewish sects in Palestine at the time, who were waiting for a prophesied warrior Messiah, were a constant source of violent insurrection during the first century," he explains. "When the Romans had exhausted conventional means of quashing rebellion, they switched to psychological warfare. They surmised that the way to stop the spread of zealous Jewish missionary activity was to create a competing belief system. That's when the 'peaceful' Messiah story was invented. Instead of inspiring warfare, this Messiah urged turn-the-other-cheek pacifism and encouraged Jews to 'give onto Caesar' and pay their taxes to Rome."

Was Jesus based on a real person from history? "The short answer is no," Atwill insists, "in fact he may be the only fictional character in literature whose entire life story can be traced to other sources. Once those sources are all laid bare, there's simply nothing left."
Atwill's most intriguing discovery came to him while he was studying "Wars of the Jews" by Josephus [the only surviving first-person historical account of first-century Judea] alongside the New Testament. "I started to notice a sequence of parallels between the two texts," he recounts. "Although it's been recognised by Christian scholars for centuries that the prophesies of Jesus appear to be fulfilled by what Josephus wrote about in the First Jewish-Roman war, I was seeing dozens more. What seems to have eluded many scholars is that the sequence of events and locations of Jesus ministry are more or less the same as the sequence of events and locations of the military campaign of [Emperor] Titus Flavius as described by Josephus. This is clear evidence of a deliberately constructed pattern. The biography of Jesus is actually constructed, tip to stern, on prior stories, but especially on the biography of a Roman Caesar."

How could this go unnoticed in the most scrutinised books of all time? "Many of the parallels are conceptual or poetic, so they aren't all immediately obvious. After all, the authors did not want the average believer to see what they were doing, but they did want the alert reader to see it. An educated Roman in the ruling class would probably have recognised the literary game being played." Atwill maintains he can demonstrate that "the Roman Caesars left us a kind of puzzle literature that was meant to be solved by future generations, and the solution to that puzzle is 'We invented Jesus Christ, and we're proud of it.'"

Is this the beginning of the end of Christianity? "Probably not," grants Atwill, "but what my work has done is give permission to many of those ready to leave the religion to make a clean break. We've got the evidence now to show exactly where the story of Jesus came from. Although Christianity can be a comfort to some, it can also be very damaging and repressive, an insidious form of mind control that has led to blind acceptance of serfdom, poverty, and war throughout history. To this day, especially in the United States, it is used to create support for war in the Middle East."

Atwill encourages skeptics to challenge him at Conway Hall, where after the presentations there is likely to be a lively Q&A session. Joining Mr.Atwill will be fellow scholar Kenneth Humphreys, author of the book "Jesus Never Existed."
Further information can be found at http://www.covertmessiah.com.

About Joseph Atwill: Joseph Atwill is the author of the best-selling book "Caesar's Messiah" and its upcoming sequel "The Single Strand."
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
cliffy1
Übergod

Re: We Invented Jesus Christ

Post by cliffy1 »

An interesting find, jennylives, that confirms what many have been saying for a long time.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Wow.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i knew it already , but solid proof is great :)
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

>insert>..crickets chirping..<insert<
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Very interesting .. thank you .. hope to see the film some day
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

I wonder if this find will change anything in the Christian world ?
Wow!
Now Christians will say, they don't believe it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Christians didn't change their views after the Zeitgeist movies, so doubt they will here either. Even my atheist friends on Facebook can see this is yet another crack pot theory that is only preaches to the converted. People believe what they want to believe, thus it's easy to fall hook. line, and sinker for this guy's theory when you want to to believe it is true.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Wow! And the continual war on Christianity continues........

Question! If the Romans wrote the New Testament and it was written by first-century Roman aristocrats and that they fabricated the entire story of Jesus Christ.

Then please explain to me if Jesus was a myth. Then how did the Armenia build the 1st Christian Church in approximate 100 AD?
And became the 1st Christian nation in the world in 301 AD. Armenia was part of the Parthian Empire who were arch enemies of the Roman Empire? How did that happen?

http://www.welcomearmenia.com/armenia/f ... ian_nation
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Was this made up too? Transcript from Pontius Pilate to TIBERIUS CAESAR Tiberius Caesar describing Jesus's physical appearance. (Probably around 30 AD.)

The letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar

This is a reprinting of a letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar describing the physical appearance of Jesus. Copies are in the Congressional Library in Washington, D.C.

TO TIBERIUS CAESAR:

A young man appeared in Galilee preaching with humble unction, a new law in the Name of the God that had sent Him. At first I was apprehensive that His design was to stir up the people against the Romans, but my fears were soon dispelled. Jesus of Nazareth spoke rather as a friend of the Romans than of the Jews. One day I observed in the midst of a group of people a young man who was leaning against a tree, calmly addressing the multitude. I was told it was Jesus. This I could easily have suspected so great was the difference between Him and those who were listening to Him. His golden colored hair and beard gave to his appearance a celestial aspect. He appeared to be about 30 years of age. Never have I seen a sweeter or more serene countenance. What a contrast between Him and His bearers with their black beards and tawny complexions! Unwilling to interrupt Him by my presence, I continued my walk but signified to my secretary to join the group and listen. Later, my secretary reported that never had he seen in the works of all the philosophers anything that compared to the teachings of Jesus. He told me that Jesus was neither seditious nor rebellious, so we extended to Him our protection. He was at liberty to act, to speak, to assemble and to address the people. This unlimited freedom provoked the Jews -- not the poor but the rich and powerful.

Later, I wrote to Jesus requesting an interview with Him at the Praetorium. He came. When the Nazarene made His appearance I was having my morning walk and as I faced Him my feet seemed fastened with an iron hand to the marble pavement and I trembled in every limb as a guilty culprit, though he was calm. For some time I stood admiring this extraordinary Man. There was nothing in Him that was repelling, nor in His character, yet I felt awed in His presence. I told Him that there was a magnetic simplicity about Him and His personality that elevated Him far above the philosophers and teachers of His day.

Now, Noble Sovereign, these are the facts concerning Jesus of Nazareth and I have taken the time to write you in detail concerning these matters. I say that such a man who could convert water into wine, change death into life, disease into health; calm the stormy seas, is not guilty of any criminal offense and as others have said, we must agree -- truly this is the Son of God.

Your most obedient servant,
Pontius Pilate
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Behistun Rock in Iran...If the Romans invented Jesus. Then how did these inscriptions come about regarding the capture of the 10 Tribes of Israel in about 712 BC? This is long before the Roman Empire ever existed? So are they saying that the Israelite's didn't exist either?

For students of the Lost Tribes of Israel, the inscription has provided an invaluable missing link. George Rawlinson, Sir Henry Rawlinson's younger brother, connected the Saka/Gimiri of the Behistun Inscription with deported Israelites:

"We have reasonable grounds for regarding the Gimirri, or Cimmerians, who first appeared on the confines of Assyria and Media in the seventh century B.C., and the Sacae of the Behistun Rock, nearly two centuries later, as identical with the Beth-Khumree of Samaria, or the Ten Tribes of the House of Israel." - George Rawlinson, note in his translation of History of Herodotus, Book VII, p. 378

The inscription connects the people known in Old Persian and Elamite as Saka, Sacae or Scythian with the people known in Babylonian as Gimirri or Cimmerian. This is important because the Assyrian's referred to the Northern Kingdom of Israel in their records as the "House of Khumri", named after Israel's King Omri of the 8th century BCE. Phonetically "Khumri", "Omri", and "Gimiri" are similar.

http://www.crystalinks.com/cyrustablets.html

sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

joe, get a grip, you're flayling wildly off topic again. No one here suggested Israelites never existed.

We already know Jesus was really a blonde gentile, the british are really jews and the jews are really russians
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

So, they added Jesus to the Israelite story?

sobrohusfat wrote:joe, get a grip, you're flayling wildly off topic again. No one here suggested Israelites never existed.

We already know Jesus was really a blonde gentile, the british are really jews and the jews are really russians

SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

averagejoe .. relax .. take this with a grain of salt .. it will change nothing ..
Just a movie and theory .. remember " The DaVinci Code " .. good read but didn't change anything.
This is about Jesus Christ not the Israelites.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

The jews and the muslims acknowledge jesus existed , they just don't believe he is the messiah.

If the jews acknowledge his existence,, its pretty hard to accept empty theories other wise

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”