Why do religions have to convert people?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

grammafreddy wrote:If they are still looking for the four corners of the earth, they need to update their geography/history lessons. Its been round for a long time now.

It's said as much in the scriptures from the start, so it's unlikely true Christians had any doubt. ;-)
Isaiah 40:22
There is One who dwells above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers. He is stretching out the heavens like a fine gauze, And he spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.

As to why do religions have to convert people?

The answer is quite simple really. It's why we are here, part of God's plan, the meaning of life if you will.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Hassel99 wrote:I hope you see the irony of coming to a message board with the position of "i don't not want to hear anyone else's opinion"

Sort of makes you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm doesn't it? LOL

Hassel99 wrote:I am not religious, but this thread is about WHY people try and convert you. My position is they folks doing the converting are trying to help you avoid an accident. I do not believe there is eternal damnation for us all, but i am sure the vast majority of folks trying to convert others are doing it for selfless reasons, they are just trying to help, no matter how bothersome and condescending it might come off as.

10/10
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:It's said as much in the scriptures from the start, so it's unlikely true Christians had any doubt. ;-)

And what, precisely, is a true Christian?

As to why do religions have to convert people?

The answer is quite simple really. It's why we are here, part of God's plan, the meaning of life if you will.

Your god's plan maybe and the meaning of your life. It has no meaning to anybody who already has a religion or spiritual path of their own other than the one you choose. It is rather egotistical of anyone to think they know god's plan for anybody else but themselves. I'm sure Hindus, Jews, Muslims and Buddhists will not agree with you.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
alexoliversen
Fledgling

Post by alexoliversen »

Why is it always a Christian context? Like what's the difference between Christians and Egyptians? Aren't Egyptians the precursor(father) to Jews and Judaism the precursor(father) to Christians? So then, shouldn't we all be converting to Egyptian instead? ;)

Or is Abraham is the embodiment of Brahman? As Hindus belief of all is a manifestation of god very similar to the Jewish and Christian Belief that there is only one god. And isn't Sara the embodiment of Saraswati - the Hindu Goddess of Art and Beauty? Both Sara's are know for their beauty. Thus actually we are all Hindi in disguise! :)

If you cross reference all various religions, and look at all the commonalities you'll find that all religions are just the same thing over and over again. Thus there probably has always been one word, and one god. We only think there is more than one god and try to force our beliefs on others because of our ignorance. It all just the same *bleep*, just a different pile. :P
Last edited by alexoliversen on Jan 26th, 2014, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

cliffy you're position has been well noted by your signature advertisement.

FYI an instruction manual for a product, is still an instruction manual for that product, regardless of how old the product or manual.
Last edited by LoneWolf_53 on Dec 8th, 2013, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

alexoliversen wrote:Like what's the difference between Christians and Egyptians?

90% of Egyptians are Muslims.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Glacier wrote:90% of Egyptians are Muslims.

They lost their way too?

Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

alexoliversen wrote:If you cross reference all various religions, and look at all the commonalities you'll find that all religions are just the same thing over and over again. [...] It all just the same *bleep*, just a different pile. :P

Religious belief evolves and varies greatly between times and cultures.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

alexoliversen wrote:
If you cross reference all various religions, and look at all the commonalities you'll find that all religions are just the same thing over and over again. Thus there probably has always been one word, and one god. We only think there is more than one god and try to force our beliefs on others because of our ignorance. It all just the same *bleep*, just a different pile. :P

I don't know why I even bother with such conversations... ( *_* )
That's a nice theory that you made up but it's not true. What does reincarnation have to do with we don't get born again as some other being or creature? What does the belief in one God have to do with the belief in millions of gods? These are just two stark contrasts you'll find. Bottom line is, religions are not just the same thing over and over again. I'm sorry if my remarks seem a bit sarcastic, I just can't shake the thought that most people get their information on such matters from the movies and what others say, and those people got their information from movies and what others say. Even university professors on the subject are very good at repeating what others say and wrote in there books. These too in many cases have never gone to the source.

You know where you can get accurate information on religions? From there books. You'll see similarities for sure but you'll also see where they contrast vastly.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Hmmm wrote: These too in many cases have never gone to the source.

You know where you can get accurate information on religions? From there books. You'll see similarities for sure but you'll also see where they contrast vastly.

The basic message of peace and brotherly love are all the same. Where they differ is in the dogma parts and it is the dogma that foments strife and conflict. "My religion is better than your religion" is not only childish but dangerous. There is about as much tolerance in religion as there is in politics - next to none.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

cliffy1 wrote:The basic message of peace and brotherly love are all the same. Where they differ is in the dogma parts and it is the dogma that foments strife and conflict. "My religion is better than your religion" is not only childish but dangerous. There is about as much tolerance in religion as there is in politics - next to none.

I agree and disagree. I agree that there is a message of peace mixed in most religions, not all as Satanism is a religion too just to name one who isn't interested in peace. But over all you're correct. The fact that the dogma is different does prove the point that they are not all the same thing which is what I said. Its hard to believe some people could actually believe that. Isn't obvious that most religious dogma is different a little and many times a lot?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Hmmm wrote:I agree and disagree. I agree that there is a message of peace mixed in most religions, not all as Satanism is a religion too just to name one who isn't interested in peace. But over all you're correct. The fact that the dogma is different does prove the point that they are not all the same thing which is what I said. Its hard to believe some people could actually believe that. Isn't obvious that most religious dogma is different a little and many times a lot?

Yup. But what is dogma? is it the message or is it human interpretation of the teachings? Is it possible that the teachings were altered by the institutions that claim to represent the teachings?

It is my contention that if the Creative Force, that brought all we witness into being, is a benevolent being, then it would have given its message to every people, in every historical time frame and every geographical location. in a language and/or symbols that they could understand within their cultural context. What happened between then and now was human interpretation (dogma).
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

coffeeFreak wrote:Each religion believes it is the "true" one. Having many friends who are Christian, I have come to understand that the "enthusiasm" or IMO annoying need to convince others about the "truth" really comes from good intentions, as they truly believe that if your soul is not saved you will end up in Hell. I don't know about other religions, but I think many have a similar bottom line.

Having come to understand this, as long as I see religious people's push for others to "believe" as a positive intent on their part, I can almost feel compassion for the underlying fear/mission they must have to convert as many as possible in order to save us from what to them is an eternally horrific after-life.

Excellent, I myself would be a little more cautious about my own religion. I mean only 1 religion out there is right which means a good dozen of em have it or some of it wrong? I don't like the odds....I would keep it to myself....
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

zoo wrote:I mean only 1 religion out there is right which means a good dozen of em have it or some of it wrong?

Why do you think one religion is "right"?
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Religion is dogmatized spirituality. Spirituality is in a constant state of evolution. Religion is petrified dogma, frozen in time, in a constant state of denial. Spirituality is a personal journey. It does not require others to agree with you. But dogma requires numbers to hold it frozen, written in stone. Religion requires new recruits to justify its lack of faith in life and the Universe/god/goddess. Religion requires conformity to ideals that have no basis in reality (blind faith, which is not faith at all). Spirituality requires an open mind and an open heart, real compassion and caring about life and all its forms. It does not require conformity.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”