Why do religions have to convert people?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Xia33
Übergod
Posts: 1105
Joined: Jun 1st, 2013, 8:57 pm

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by Xia33 »

Lol. Actually, that was something a friend said once and, although it is sort of a silly statement, in some respects I think there is a little truth to it. I am not one to be arguing about or discussing religion with, in all reality...did you guess that? But, I really don't like to have my space invaded by someone who is relentless in their bid to make me believe what they would like me to...that would be the bottom line here for me.
1nick
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4348
Joined: May 6th, 2006, 8:55 am

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by 1nick »

Another reason is because their numbers are dropping(leaving the flock)and they aren't producing enough children to brainwash.
Let’s play “Spot the Putin Patsy”
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17298
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by averagejoe »

Cause the secular school system has them now.

1nick wrote:Another reason is because their numbers are dropping(leaving the flock)and they aren't producing enough children to brainwash.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
User avatar
Thinktank
Guru
Posts: 8923
Joined: Nov 5th, 2010, 6:21 am

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by Thinktank »

there are different types of converting.

#1 - a family member figures his brother or sister should quit being so 'worldly.'

#2 - a brainwashed cult member thinks all other religions will go to hell. wants to save someone's life.

#3 - a Christian is feeling pretty good about the way the group he hangs out with each Sunday is doing things,
and honestly wants some other people to see how nice it is, to hang out with cool people.

#4 - The bible says whoever sins can get one sin removed, for evey person he 'saves.' (converts) So someone
who is loaded with sins, is desperate to convert a few people.

#5 - If church gets low on money - they need to add people to their church for financial reasons.

there's many reasons for converting people to your own religion.
If you have to be persuaded reminded bullied pressured bribed incentivized, lied to, guilt tripped, coerced, socially shamed, censored, threatened, paid, punished and criminalized, to gain your compliance- the thing is no good
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 36331
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by Glacier »

Thinktank wrote:#4 - The bible says whoever sins can get one sin removed, for evey person he 'saves.' (converts)

Oh?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19243
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by steven lloyd »

Thinktank wrote:#4 - The bible says whoever sins can get one sin removed, for evey person he 'saves.' (converts)

Glacier wrote: Oh?

Astonishing, isn’t it ? He just makes stuff up as he goes along barely missing a beat.
A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
User avatar
Thinktank
Guru
Posts: 8923
Joined: Nov 5th, 2010, 6:21 am

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by Thinktank »

I know the bible:

Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way, shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

there. I've just saved glacier and Steven Lloyd (possibly) from some sins,
by quoting the bible
but unfortunately I don't have a multitude of sins to cover up.

Maybe I can cash my credits in for money or something.
If you have to be persuaded reminded bullied pressured bribed incentivized, lied to, guilt tripped, coerced, socially shamed, censored, threatened, paid, punished and criminalized, to gain your compliance- the thing is no good
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19243
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by steven lloyd »

^ Thanks. You didn't get the correct meaning of that passage but I do appreciate the thought. Allah Akbar.
A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
User avatar
CJSchmidtz
Newbie
Posts: 44
Joined: Dec 8th, 2006, 7:13 pm

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by CJSchmidtz »

Variations of reasons like this can also apply to atheists, witches, satanists…..


#1 - a family member figures his brother or sister should quit being so “religious.”

#2 - a brainwashed atheist or meth manufacturer doesn’t want anyone to fear hell because this may inspire things like honesty, self-control, fidelity, sobriety and integrity. wants to discourage morality.

#3 - an atheist is feeling pretty good about the way the group he hangs out with, and honestly wants some other people to see how nice it is, to hang out with cool people.

#4 – Alcoholics, smokers, drug users often want to have others join in because it makes them uncomfortable if someone is not participating..

#5 - If a coven, author, club etc gets low on money - they need to add people to their group for financial reasons.

there's many reasons for converting people to your own beliefs.

The point I am trying to make may not be obvious…..
"What luck for rulers that men do not think"
Hitler
User avatar
Thinktank
Guru
Posts: 8923
Joined: Nov 5th, 2010, 6:21 am

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by Thinktank »

CJSchmidtz wrote:The point I am trying to make may not be obvious…..



it isn't.
If you have to be persuaded reminded bullied pressured bribed incentivized, lied to, guilt tripped, coerced, socially shamed, censored, threatened, paid, punished and criminalized, to gain your compliance- the thing is no good
1nick
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4348
Joined: May 6th, 2006, 8:55 am

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by 1nick »

CJSchmidtz wrote:Variations of reasons like this can also apply to atheists, witches, satanists…..


#1 - a family member figures his brother or sister should quit being so “religious.”

#2 - a brainwashed atheist or meth manufacturer doesn’t want anyone to fear hell because this may inspire things like honesty, self-control, fidelity, sobriety and integrity. wants to discourage morality.

#3 - an atheist is feeling pretty good about the way the group he hangs out with, and honestly wants some other people to see how nice it is, to hang out with cool people.

#4 – Alcoholics, smokers, drug users often want to have others join in because it makes them uncomfortable if someone is not participating..

#5 - If a coven, author, club etc gets low on money - they need to add people to their group for financial reasons.

there's many reasons for converting people to your own beliefs.

The point I am trying to make may not be obvious…..


^^^^and this is why I'd never belong to a group this guy belongs to,#2 & #3 what a load of bollox.
Let’s play “Spot the Putin Patsy”
User avatar
janalta
Übergod
Posts: 1872
Joined: Jul 14th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by janalta »

CJSchmidtz wrote:Variations of reasons like this can also apply to atheists, witches, satanists…..


#1 - a family member figures his brother or sister should quit being so “religious.”

#2 - a brainwashed atheist or meth manufacturer doesn’t want anyone to fear hell because this may inspire things like honesty, self-control, fidelity, sobriety and integrity. wants to discourage morality.



Indeed...because everyone knows that there is little difference between atheists and those who make and sell meth. After all, atheists do not ever practice honesty, self-control, fidelity, sobriety or integrity....and know nothing of morality.

This is exactly the attitude that makes me resent religious folks the most...that somehow morality- knowing right from wrong, caring about others, being true to those you love,close loving families....can only be practiced and maintained if you follow Christ. That somehow these are godly, unearthly views as opposed to HUMAN qualities.
( and, you are aware that not all non-Christians are automatically atheists...yes ? )
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
User avatar
Thinktank
Guru
Posts: 8923
Joined: Nov 5th, 2010, 6:21 am

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by Thinktank »

steven lloyd wrote:Allah Akbar.


Image

* Note - Jews too. ( with Christians)
If you have to be persuaded reminded bullied pressured bribed incentivized, lied to, guilt tripped, coerced, socially shamed, censored, threatened, paid, punished and criminalized, to gain your compliance- the thing is no good
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 36331
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by Glacier »

1,763 wars have been waged over the course of human history. Of those wars, 123 were religious in nature, which is an astonishingly low 6.98% of all wars. Of the religious wars 66 were Islamic and 57 were non-Islamic.

Image
Last edited by Glacier on Nov 24th, 2013, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
CJSchmidtz
Newbie
Posts: 44
Joined: Dec 8th, 2006, 7:13 pm

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by CJSchmidtz »

As I said my point might not be obvious.

Some were offended when I represented atheists in a derogatory condescending manner, when I referred to them as brain washed, when I described them alongside meth manufacturers.

My point is this…. Then why do those same types of things to religious people. I was merely turning the tables, each group can hypothetically spend a lot of time throwing insults around. I myself think it is generally a waste of time. Perhaps there are times when that could be a component of real discussions but imho most of the time they just come across as childish insults. I admit that to a degree I am simply unsure of what to think of these types of diatribes but I am hoping that by doing this I could at least invite some caution.

I had said “variations of reasons like this can apply…..” I was not saying that they were my reasons I was applying, I was simply saying the same mentality expressed in posts like the one I referenced; but with the shoe on the other foot could lead to these types of statements. I did not explain “my point” at that time because I was hoping that I could better make my point after gaining the reaction which was exactly as I expected. It was a matter of how do you like your own medicine.

If you say that you are promoting something because you believe it is true or helpful, I will discuss whether it is true or helpful.

I would just add one more thing. I completely think that thinktank is correct about the reasons why some religious people may try to convert others. I simply don’t think the list is exhaustive. I also think that atheists can have negative motives for trying to convert people. Both sides could hypothetically have negative motives but we can’t see each other’s motives so I would prefer not to make this a focus.
"What luck for rulers that men do not think"
Hitler

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”