Kelowna one of the most godless places in the world

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

What is Your Religious Affiliation?

Buddhist
1
1%
Christian (Catholic)
1
1%
Christian (Protestant)
13
14%
Christian (other)
8
9%
Wiccan
3
3%
Jewish
0
No votes
Muslim
1
1%
Sikh
0
No votes
Traditional (Aboriginal) Spirituality
3
3%
Other
5
5%
No Religious Affiliation
59
63%
 
Total votes: 94

1nick
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4354
Joined: May 6th, 2006, 8:55 am

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by 1nick »

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Let’s play “Spot the Putin Patsy”
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3072
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by Hmmm »

janalta wrote:Hhhmmm....there was no law regarding the life or rights of an unborn fetus...in fact, it was not a crime to cause abortion - you just had to pay the father a fine for destruction of his property. Only if the mother died was it considered murder, or the taking of a life.
No where in your bible is abortion mentioned...right or wrong.....which is why I always find it so ironic that people use that same book to preach about how it is a sin according to god, Jesus and the bible.


When an accident causes the death of the unborn child, the Bible DOES SAY life for life. I'm not debating the abortion issue, I'm simply replying to what the Bible does say about the killing of an unborn child. It does clearly state ,that life for life, eye for eye.

As for the previous posters comments, this is found the very next verse after the penalty thing you mentioned. Let's not make this thread about abortion though, as I stated I'm not here debating it, I was responding to a devout Christian who is for it and was puzzled is all.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
mwalsh
Newbie
Posts: 97
Joined: May 11th, 2009, 9:57 pm

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by mwalsh »

Hmmm wrote:Did Jesus force his views on others? Not really, but he gave powerful reasons to accept them.

Was he pro-choice? Of course they didn't have those operations back then, but the Law he followed would have not allowed it.

Was he for equality of everyone, including lifestyles that were against the law in his day? Of course he followed the law.

Did you know that a Christian is one who follows Christ? 2 out of 3 things you mentioned were things Jesus was opposed to. You knows who opposed Jesus right? Whose side are you on anyway?

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for having the choice to make your own decisions in life on what to believe or not believe in. I just can't wrap my head around some people who claim to be very Christian and yet don't agree with Jesus? You must not believe in the Bible too, but thats where you learn about him, so it just gets more confusing.

I guess you just make it up as you go. (also something Jesus didn't do, he constantly referred back to what is written)


If you have studied the bible, you would know nothing is as black and white a you lead it to be. There are many different perceptions people take of those readings, and many have been modernized and adopted to meet modern times. Religion is complex, and beliefs have varying values and meanings to all walks of life.

I do not have to condone abortion or say I agree with it to have a pro-choice stance. I believe in the choice of an individual, which also fosters love, acceptance, and forgiveness if needed which is all the followings of the bible. I don't have to be a LGTB to value the choice, freedom, and happiness of others that choose that path of life. As everything in the bible, nothing is black and white, and as in many areas of life, it is not either one way or the other.

The bible speaks nothing of equality, rather against it to be frank. Equality is something valued by most today, including myself. Again, the bible was never black and white, and modern interpretations reflect modern times as roles evolve and life changes.

An often misunderstood aspect of religion is that it is a one fits all, cookie cutter, black and white outlook. The fact that within every religion, every denomination, church, or even sector, there are varying values and beliefs being practiced. The bible has more variations than I dare to count. Through all of that is varying perspectives, practices, and beliefs. So no, it is not a matter of picking sides as you suggest.

Also I would point out with polls, there is a large difference between membership, practicing, and people associating with different religions. I can only imagine how that may skew the figures as if it were to say go by membership it would largely be under represented, or say by association over represented.
OREZ
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3330
Joined: Dec 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by OREZ »

Not that anyone is interested in sticking to the topic but... Glacier, where do these numbers come from? (sorry if that's already been asked and answered) Without knowing what sort of survey this was or what sort of questions were asked, it's difficult to know what to make of these results.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 36404
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by Glacier »

OREZ wrote:Not that anyone is interested in sticking to the topic but... Glacier, where do these numbers come from? (sorry if that's already been asked and answered) Without knowing what sort of survey this was or what sort of questions were asked, it's difficult to know what to make of these results.

Thank you, good sir, for righting this ship (though we both know it won't last long).
Source: 2011 Census. You can download data here.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3072
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by Hmmm »

mwalsh wrote:
If you have studied the bible, you would know nothing is as black and white a you lead it to be. There are many different perceptions people take of those readings, and many have been modernized and adopted to meet modern times. Religion is complex, and beliefs have varying values and meanings to all walks of life.

.
So I was right, you don't believe what the Bible says. The fact is, there are, just as you say, many different perceptions, however that's just because so many want it to say what they wish it too. There are many black and white, direct statements that can only be taken one way. One area of it are the gospel accounts of Jesus life, it is very clear what he did and said and a Christian is supposed to follow his footsteps as close as they can. If in fact his steps are so muddied up, as you say, than how can one follow them?

The real issue, is people trying to force his steps into theirs.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
1nick
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4354
Joined: May 6th, 2006, 8:55 am

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by 1nick »

Keep breeding hmm we need more crazy Christians to keep up with the crazy Muslims.
But don't distance your self from the other crazy Christians you guys need to stick together if we are to stand a chance.
Let’s play “Spot the Putin Patsy”
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 36404
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by Glacier »

Hmmm wrote:So I was right

Doesn't matter if you were right or wrong because you were off topic either way.

P.S. I just looked at the poll... where the heck are the Catholics?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OREZ
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3330
Joined: Dec 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by OREZ »

Glacier wrote:I just looked at the poll... where the heck are the Catholics?


There's something very wrong with that poll, I suspect.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
mwalsh
Newbie
Posts: 97
Joined: May 11th, 2009, 9:57 pm

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by mwalsh »

Hmmm wrote:So I was right, you don't believe what the Bible says.


You are far from right if you believe you have insight or knowledge into what my religious beliefs or moralities are. Making false assumptions based on false perceptions of someone else's interpretations of readings and beliefs gives you no validity.

Hmmm wrote:There are many black and white, direct statements that can only be taken one way. One area of it are the gospel accounts of Jesus life, it is very clear what he did and said and a Christian is supposed to follow his footsteps as close as they can.


This is your perception of words. Many people, of all walks of life, do not share the same meaning, value, or definitions of words are you do. As you so pointed out earlier, "Life for a life" can in fact share various meanings as depending on what constitutes a life (whether it be meaning physiological of psychological for example), can drastically change the meaning of those four simple words that you say are black and white. Everyone is entitled to their own views, as are you, so I would suggest you not make inferences on others perspectives solely based on the fact it is contradicting your point-of-view.

Hmmm wrote:The real issue, is people trying to force his steps into theirs.


The real issue is the topic of religious representation in the Okanagan.

I was under the impression that there was a strong Catholic presence in this area. Perhaps they are simply not Castanet forum users.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 36404
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by Glacier »

OREZ wrote:There's something very wrong with that poll, I suspect.

It definitely differs from the actual data for our area.

Here are the numbers for Kelowna as per Statscan data (subsets of Christianity indented):
Christian……..54.5%
    Other Christian……..16.3%
    Catholic……..16%
    United Church……..7.1%
    Anglican……..5%
    Baptist……..3.6%
    Lutheran……..3.2%
    Pentecostal……..1.9%
    Christian Orthodox……..0.8%
    Presbyterian……..0.7%
Sikh……..1.3%
No religious affiliation……..41.8%
Other religions……..0.8%
Buddhist……..0.5%
Muslim……..0.4%
Hindu……..0.4%
Jewish……..0.2%
Traditional (Aboriginal) Spirituality……..0.1%

As we all know, women are more religious than men, so if we break things down by sex, Men are 50.8% Christian and 45.6% no religion, while women are 57.9% Christian and 38.3% no religion.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3072
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by Hmmm »

I think the greater question is how many actually care about about their own religion? Example being, many say I'm Catholic and yet don't really listen to the church about birth control and other things ( they don't agree with). I say can you really be a devout Catholic and not care what the Pope says?

Thats just one example. People just make it up as they go, even if they belong to a church. PS I wouldn't listen to the poop either. probably shouldn't call him that, but the entire entity disgusts me.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Xia33
Übergod
Posts: 1105
Joined: Jun 1st, 2013, 8:57 pm

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by Xia33 »

What about people who do not answer surveys, govt papers, etc regarding religion, race, etc., because they believe it is no ones business, is personal and makes zero difference to anything?
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 36404
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by Glacier »

Xia33 wrote:What about people who do not answer surveys, govt papers, etc regarding religion, race, etc., because they believe it is no ones business, is personal and makes zero difference to anything?

It used to be against the law to not fill out the census, but last time it was not mandatory. As a result, 28% of people in Kelowna didn't fill it out. Statscan makes the assumption that the paranoid nut jobs who wouldn't fill it out are relatively evenly distributed across the religious spectrum.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Xia33
Übergod
Posts: 1105
Joined: Jun 1st, 2013, 8:57 pm

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by Xia33 »

Glacier wrote:It used to be against the law to not fill out the census, but last time it was not mandatory. As a result, 28% of people in Kelowna didn't fill it out. Statscan makes the assumption that the paranoid nut jobs who wouldn't fill it out are relatively evenly distributed across the religious spectrum.


Lol. "Paranoid nut jobs"? Lol. I have never filled out those parts of any form simply because I do not believe it makes one iota of difference to anything and that is no ones business but mine. So..if it has been "against the law" why have I not been notified over the years? My "religion" or lack of it, or my parents "nationality", if other than Canadian (at one point "Canadian" was not what they wanted) is of no concern to anyone but me....IMO. I also don't believe it is right for any government body to "assume" anything

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”