Perhaps you need to know this.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10439
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Perhaps you need to know this.

Post by I Think »

There is no evidence for the existence of any supernatural being AKA god.

Your life will be much more fulfilling if you take complete responsibility for everything you do, and experience.
If you worry about pleasing a mythical character, who is ultimately responsible for your existence, you are missing the fullness that life offers.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Perhaps you need to know this.

Post by cliffy1 »

Most people can't handle the responsibility.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4172
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: Perhaps you need to know this.

Post by JayByrd »

There is no evidence of the existence of love, either...but (most of us anyway) have felt it in our own hearts, and attributed the acts of others to it. I'd have a hard time convincing someone that love doen't exist.

You describe a life of faith as "worrying about pleasing a mythical character". That's pretty insulting, and if you're trying to reach out to someone, you're going about it the wrong way. But still, I'm intrigued. I believe in God. I don't worry about pleasing Him exactly, but I do try to do what's right. What am I missing out on?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12102
Joined: Mar 25th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Re: Perhaps you need to know this.

Post by zookeeper »

I Think wrote:There is no evidence for the existence of any supernatural being AKA god.

Your life will be much more fulfilling if you take complete responsibility for everything you do, and experience.
If you worry about pleasing a mythical character, who is ultimately responsible for your existence, you are missing the fullness that life offers.


It's called free will, when you reach a fork in the road it's your choice whether you take the easy path or work to reach your goals by pushing ahead on the narrow path. A description of what you believe to be a fulfilling life would blow this thread right open.
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4172
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: Perhaps you need to know this.

Post by JayByrd »

So people of faith don't have free will? Do you think they have it removed surgically or something?

And I'm not sure how you think the fork in the road analogy is different for people of faith. Most people make choices based on their values and desires. People of faith are no different. They do not pause in front of their sock drawer every morning, wondering which pair the Lord wants them to put on.

I imagine you have goals you wish to achieve in life. Things you enjoy, as well as things you would pretty much never do. People of faith are no different.

As for my vision of a fulfilling life...myself and my family being healthy and comfortable are the main thing. Contributing to my community (I do this in my work, as well as some organizations I volunteer for). I like hockey and music, so having the time to enjoy those things is fulfilling. I don't think I'm really opening a can of worms with that statement though.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12102
Joined: Mar 25th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Re: Perhaps you need to know this.

Post by zookeeper »

JayByrd wrote:So people of faith don't have free will? Do you think they have it removed surgically or something?

And I'm not sure how you think the fork in the road analogy is different for people of faith. Most people make choices based on their values and desires. People of faith are no different. They do not pause in front of their sock drawer every morning, wondering which pair the Lord wants them to put on.

I imagine you have goals you wish to achieve in life. Things you enjoy, as well as things you would pretty much never do. People of faith are no different.

As for my vision of a fulfilling life...myself and my family being healthy and comfortable are the main thing. Contributing to my community (I do this in my work, as well as some organizations I volunteer for). I like hockey and music, so having the time to enjoy those things is fulfilling. I don't think I'm really opening a can of worms with that statement though.


Everyone has free will, those with faith and those without. As for the fork in the road analogy, Matthew 7:13.

As for the rest of your post, my question was directed to the OP, to answer how one with faith fails to live a fulfilling life. My goals, and the outcome of said goals, are between me and my own "mythical character".
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19027
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 10:53 am

Re: Perhaps you need to know this.

Post by JLives »

JayByrd wrote:There is no evidence of the existence of love, either...but (most of us anyway) have felt it in our own hearts, and attributed the acts of others to it. I'd have a hard time convincing someone that love doen't exist.

You describe a life of faith as "worrying about pleasing a mythical character". That's pretty insulting, and if you're trying to reach out to someone, you're going about it the wrong way. But still, I'm intrigued. I believe in God. I don't worry about pleasing Him exactly, but I do try to do what's right. What am I missing out on?


You can physically see the effects of love on the brain so, yes, there is evidence. There is no evidence of a god though.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
User avatar
Tacklewasher
Übergod
Posts: 1374
Joined: Jul 9th, 2008, 6:45 am

Re: Perhaps you need to know this.

Post by Tacklewasher »

JLives wrote:You can physically see the effects of love on the brain so, yes, there is evidence. There is no evidence of a god though.


Would the effect on the brain of someone thinking about God be that much different than how love shows up? I don't disagree that god is fiction, just not sure this is a good argument.
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4172
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: Perhaps you need to know this.

Post by JayByrd »

zookeeper wrote:As for the rest of your post, my question was directed to the OP, to answer how one with faith fails to live a fulfilling life. My goals, and the outcome of said goals, are between me and my own "mythical character".



Oh :)
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10439
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: Perhaps you need to know this.

Post by I Think »

Zook
how one with faith fails to live a fulfilling life

Where did I say one with faith fails.............?
So often on Castanet, people try to put words/meanings into ones posts that are simply not there. Reading what is written as written, is also more fulfilling. :<}

It is pretty clear to me and others, that if one takes full and complete responsibility for ones circumstances, and history, one avoids subservience to others, real or imaginary. One also cannot be a victim if completely responsible for everything that happens to one.
Perhaps not the easiest path to follow but certainly the most fulfilling.
We're lost but we're making good time.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12102
Joined: Mar 25th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Re: Perhaps you need to know this.

Post by zookeeper »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Jul 2nd, 2015, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10439
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: Perhaps you need to know this.

Post by I Think »

Zook;
A)
one with faith fails to live a fulfilling life.



I think;
B)
you are missing the fullness that life offers .


A is not equal to B
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 32595
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Perhaps you need to know this.

Post by GordonH »

It all boils down to who or what you have your Faith into.

● higher being/power
● your own abilities
● that pet rock you have had since 8th birthday

Etc….etc….etc
Last edited by GordonH on Jul 2nd, 2015, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 51219
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Perhaps you need to know this.

Post by Bsuds »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Jul 2nd, 2015, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
User avatar
mexi cali
Guru
Posts: 9133
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Re: Perhaps you need to know this.

Post by mexi cali »

It depends what you consider to be evidence. To believers, the bible is evidence enough of the existence of god.

To skeptics/agnostics/atheists, the bible is nothing more than a recounting of everyday life in the times of Jesus and the Romans that somehow became the cornerstone for a persevering religion.

Virtually all walks of life have some sort of religious foundation with a "head of state" so to speak at the helm.

For many, there is a need to believe that there is something guiding them in their lives and I can see where the OP is looking at this and saying that to hand over ones life to a deity is akin to missing out on a fulfilling life experience.

I think I disagree with that contention because to the believers, it is the religious experience itself that fulfills them.

I struggle with my belief. I want to believe that there is more to all of this than a dark, everlasting hole at the end of ones journey but I don't know if that need is enough to make me a "true believer".

There is much in life that cannot simply be chalked up to coincidence or happenstance. Believing that though does not or should not ultimately lead one to a deep seated belief in an entity of ultimate power and omnipotence (don't get to use that one every day).

Life though needs to be experienced. It needs to be embraced and revered. At the end of days, we all need to be able to look back on the lives we lived and smile because we respected ours by diving in and swimming for the light.

Despite all the ugliness, there is vast beauty to be seen on our little blue planet.

Let the believers believe.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”